Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Silver Dream Racer

New poster! (less than 10 posts)

Good work Looking forward to the next instalments....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Cooke View Post
    not to talk of, if you're designing an upright from scratch you'll look at putting the mounting lugs in the strong parts of the hub, or maybe putting the callipers underneath to lower the CofG, or maybe putting them where the brake ducts will work best.

I remember in the late 80's F1 teams were using a front and rear caliper on the front hubs to try and increase brake force but spreading the heat across 2 calipers per disc rather than 1....developed with a small company called AP racing, LOL

this increased the brake force hugely, too much in fact and the heat build up was enormous so the idea went back to a single 4 pot caliper mounted at the front....

the disc got overheated due to it only doing half a rotation before being heated by friction again,hence......most excellent brakes for 10 laps..........then almost certain death...LOL...
    oh to be an F1 test driver

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by paul b View Post
    I remember in the late 80's F1 teams were using a front and rear caliper on the front hubs to try and increase brake force but spreading the heat across 2 calipers per disc rather than 1....developed with a small company called AP racing, LOL

this increased the brake force hugely, too much in fact and the heat build up was enormous so the idea went back to a single 4 pot caliper mounted at the front....

the disc got overheated due to it only doing half a rotation before being heated by friction again,hence......most excellent brakes for 10 laps..........then almost certain death...LOL...
    oh to be an F1 test driver
    that test has been repeated much more recently...

Post Thanks / Like

no surprise really, a lot of development goes back to basics first.....then try it again with new materials....LOL..

as long as they don't go back to the "auto" VVT gearbox........

god , that was an awful thing, remember Coulthard, (young and upcoming star) testing it.....LOL

Post Thanks / Like

Nothing new on the car this week, but I have been busy in the workshop. As can be seen above I've been happily drawing parts to make, and have been making some of them on my small lathe/mill. In the midst of this I'd decided that I didn't trust the swinging mill arm not to move, and had come to the conclusion that I should get a dedicated mill. I'd been playing with the idea of getting a small CNC setup, and with this in mind found myself at the Midland Model Engineering show a couple of weeks ago. Having sat and watched the small CNC machines shudder their way through nibbling away at small bits of metal I confirmed what I'd though, that being that I needed something a bit bigger. I'd have loved to get a decent sized knee mill, but there is no way I could get one in my workshop. Anyway, I left the show having ordered 300Kg of Chinese Bench mill.

Driving home I began to wonder how the hell I'd get it into the workshop. I'd considered taking it down the 5 steps from the drive into the garden, dragging it across the garden, then lifting it the 2 steps up into the workshop. In the end I decided that the best way was to take it through the garage, and down the 2 steps into the workshop. The only problem was the garage and shed were chocka, and I'd need to pick the car up and move it across 2ft.

That was last weekends job, and by the end of it the car was shuffled across and piles of stuff pushed into the corners. Moving the car was a bit exciting with it balanced on a engine crane and a trolley jack.

In the midst of this I'd decided that the workshop and garage is bastid freezing in the winter, and maybe it could do with some insulation.

A while a go I bought some expensive insulation material (celotex) for the house. Bugger it, the house doesn't need insulation, the shed does. The plan is if I make the shed nice enough, I'll get home from work, make a sandwich, and rush off to the workshop to get warm So in the evenings this week I started making space in the shed where I'd decided the mill should go. I already had a solid bench built, so I just needed to insulate behind it, and panel the walls/ceiling.

I got a bit done, but looking at the bench it was largely supported by the shed wall, and that would probably make a hell of a racket when the mill was running. OK, new plan, dismantle the bench, and build a free standing one.

I'd also realised that is I was going to get the mill down the steps, and through the 2ft thick wall into the workshop I'd need to pick it up with the engine crane, and pull it into the workshop. In the midst of this it became clear that I needed to build a pier so that I could roll the mill from the garage into the workshop at garage level, then lift it off the pier with the engine hoist. Moving the Mill around should be pretty simple as I'd borrowed a 'skateboard' from work.

You can imagine the hilarity this lot caused when I tried to explain it at work

That took me to Friday, I'd taken the day off to take delivery to the mill. The mill arrived in a big wooden box on a pallet, and the van driver had a fork lift trolley thing and it squeezed onto the drive with limited drama (as long as you exclude the cam belt letting go on the Delica when I went to move it...). He gamely tried to give me a hand to shuffle it onto my 'skateboard'. We were going nowhere fast, so I told him he'd best get going and I'd sort it out on my own. With a slightly disbelieving look he made his escape. It wasn't as bad as it sounds, I just had to drag the engine hoist up from the workshop, and let hydraulics do the work.

Unfortunately my camera battery was flat, so the first picture I managed to take was of the mill sat on the 'skateboard' in the garage. The next picture is of the free-standing bench I knocked up yesterday evening/this morning (well, those bits of yesterday evening that weren't spent in the pub ogling drunk witches ). Next picture is the mill, on the skateboard, on the pier. The 4th picture is it wheeled in front of the bench - note the insulation on the wall, I couldn't board it over because I couldn't fetch the wood with a busted car . Pic 5 shows the engine crane trying to lift the mill onto the bench, note the lack of headroom...
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by Andrew Cooke; 01-11-2008 at 21:23. Reason: dodgy spelling

Post Thanks / Like

last couple of pictures.. The last shows the mill sat in place. I still need to trim the wings on the bench to allow the bed to move from side to side, I wanted to leave that job until the mill was in place, so that they could be as big as possible. Hopefully the high sides and back will stop the chips flying too far across the workshop.

When I first bought the mill I didn't think it would be able to go in this part of the workshop as it'd hit the ceiling, it almost ended up on the right hand side (and then only when aligned to fit between the ceiling joists). I checked the dimensions and figured I could get the motor to fit between the ceiling joists along the side. The bench isn't back against the wall yet as I still want to panel it, it looks like it'll be OK though. There is one small proviso, according to the spec it should be 1.4m tall, it's 1.45m tall, which puts it through the roof. I'm hoping that I won't need to lift it that far, if I do there are 2 plans, either add a bump to the roof for the motor to go up into, or, as one wag at work suggested, a flap in the roof that the mill pushes open.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by Andrew Cooke; 01-11-2008 at 21:25. Reason: more dodgy spelling

Post Thanks / Like

andy are you going wide body now.? can i ask where you bought that kit from? looks like primas corsa kit?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by raj View Post
    andy are you going wide body now.? can i ask where you bought that kit from? looks like primas corsa kit?
    yep, I've been going wide for a while.

I bought it off a guy in Coventry, it's very like the Prima Kit. Fits where it touches.. although that may be normal I was going to buy the moulds off him, but I'm struggling a bit for storage.

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

nicely done

Post Thanks / Like

yep, I've been going wide for a while.

I bought it off a guy in Coventry, it's very like the Prima Kit. Fits where it touches.. although that may be normal I was going to buy the moulds off him, but I'm struggling a bit for storage.
    im assuming this guy from covo makes the kit as you say he has the moulds?

how much was the full kit? cheaper than prima im hoping?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by raj View Post
    im assuming this guy from covo makes the kit as you say he has the moulds?

how much was the full kit? cheaper than prima im hoping?
    he does, I don't know how much it is, we did a bit of a deal.

Post Thanks / Like

How's this coming along Andrew?

Post Thanks / Like

Great read this thread. You haven't got a Mrs though eh Andy

Post Thanks / Like

I'm hoping that I won't need to lift it that far, if I do there are 2 plans, either add a bump to the roof for the motor to go up into, or, as one wag at work suggested, a flap in the roof that the mill pushes open.
    Or chomp a bit off the feet of the bench it sits on?

Post Thanks / Like

What sort of money would he want for the moulds?

Post Thanks / Like

Any updates Mr Cooke?