Post Thanks / Like

pulsar gtir

hello,does any 1 no much on nissan pulsar gtir,are they reliable,thinking maybe parking the reno up or mayb sell up and get 1 of those ,yes yes u all hate me for saying that i no,but i would like to try out other cars as iv never had the chance,had the reno to long now comming up 10 years december.just fancy a diffrent kind of boost.i must say the interior in them is damn rite disgusting

Post Thanks / Like

Re: pulsar gtir

Not sure if you've noticed but the exterior is just as bad!

Post Thanks / Like

the do look ugly in a way but thats the beauty of it i suppose, i had one a while back and they are quick cars but they feel bloody boring

it was thirsty as hell tho, i was spending about £80 a week on fuel and i wasnt even doing that much mileage either, rear arches are the usual rust places, and like the gtt its a very old car now so they are all abused, parts are expensive aswell, service parts are twice the price as what a gtt would be

common problems are

fuel pump
    dodgy fuel pump wiring
    dirty mafs

for the price these cars are going for now its probly worth picking one up, but if you do buy one have a look on gtiroc.com, and dont even bother viewing ones from birmingham lol!

Post Thanks / Like

Yeh - one thing you always hear about them is how they munch through fuel. A guy at work has one, and it's his pride and joy.. loves it.. but then he hasn't driven many other fast cars I don't think.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BriC View Post
    Yeh - one thing you always hear about them is how they munch through fuel. A guy at work has one, and it's his pride and joy.. loves it.. but then he hasn't driven many other fast cars I don't think.
    same case with anything jap 2 litre turbo 4wd, i was eco driving most of the time, as if it had a hole in the fuel tank

i really learnt that to buy a car is easy, just try and maintain one

Post Thanks / Like

i really hate these cars, they are quick yes.. but my god they are the most boring drive in the world and they took tosssss

Post Thanks / Like

I had one 5 years ago when i was 20, beast of a car, mine was running 246bhp they are fast cars! BUT!!!!!
    gear box are a pain (bearings)!
    got to have a uprated clutch as they burn out easy!4x4
    and are a night mare to work on! every job nearly is a engine out jobby! (engine out the bottom)

other than that good fast cars! ill probly get one in the future again

Post Thanks / Like

the 5 is on a different planet when it comes to fun hehe

Post Thanks / Like

Mine was the nuts, but I spent alot of money on mine, and it was far from boring to drive. The only real problems I had was when I started running some proper power. I wasn't some 1 bar loser with a Walbro pump. They don't like 1.7bar on the standard ignition setup, I was blowing the spark out.

I've looked at them again since, and went for the same engine but in a different car. You could get 400bhp out of the standard engine and all you would need is a Z32afm, exhaust, clutch,front mount and a GT3071 with a piggyback ecu. A couple of grand and you'd have a quick car.

I've never heard of any f the above problems mentioned before with GTiR's either. The only thing i'd say that would want changing is the front brakes as Nissan kept the GTI setup for the 4wd for some reason.

Post Thanks / Like

ahhhhhh mannnn!,i feel like iv been put off now,i dont think they r that ugly,they dont look that bad!,iv bin laughed at with the reno on the box shape of it.thing is you will have good and bad views on any car so what do you do,how would u say they are boring?, in my eyes n/a cars are boring,i drove one along time ago,it was ok,248bhp,i must say i did think my reno was quicker,but it felt stronger and much longer gear ratio,aint so high revving than the 5,before you know it your in 5th gear with the fives,it would break my heart to sell but 10yrs is a long time,what do i do now

Post Thanks / Like

what do you do now! well get a pulasr gtir or a 200sx.

i for one like the retro look of them jap import s13 silvia's

Post Thanks / Like

Either way, the SR20det is one of the best engines around, for a 2.0l anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by raj View Post

Is that shape a PS13? Someone told me to get one earlier
    Also, I got hunted down by a Pulsar in the local industrial estate earlier. It was rather fast. I really like the shape too.

Post Thanks / Like

It is the PS13

Post Thanks / Like

Hmm, it looks much cooler than the s14 to me.
    Now to find someone to swap with a Sport KA

Post Thanks / Like

yea them 200sx do look slaggy,especialy the drift ones with the stretched tyres and the mad camber,them engines must be strong considering the engines in the drift cars are always on the limiter,pap pap pap pap

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mad murdoch View Post
    yea them 200sx do look slaggy,especialy the drift ones with the stretched tyres and the mad camber,them engines must be strong considering the engines in the drift cars are always on the limiter,pap pap pap pap
    Yeh great fun... if you're 12

They are nice cars, but to me their image is ruined by these so called 'drifters'. Funny, how after max power started raving about it / tokyo drift was released everyone seemed to jump on the 'drift' band wagon.

Mini rant over.

Post Thanks / Like

Drifting..... the quickest way to get jap cars off the road.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BriC View Post
    Yeh great fun... if you're 12

They are nice cars, but to me their image is ruined by these so called 'drifters'. Funny, how after max power started raving about it / tokyo drift was released everyone seemed to jump on the 'drift' band wagon.

Mini rant over.
    agreed with you there you slag!

Post Thanks / Like

I had a pulsar before the the 5 an still have lots of bits off 2 others i bought, apart from the rear arches another common problem with them is the shims are normally tap-petty which i think is about £15 a shim, but the sr20det in the pulsar and 200sx are different the parts cannot be changed between them.

The pulsar is a fun car to drive, its got marmite looks you either love them or hate them, i found that when you come up behind other drivers they always seemed to pull over to let you past cause of the aggressive front end.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Adam L View Post
    CA18DET FTW.... Oh, hang on... wrong thread, wrong forum.

Post Thanks / Like

I do like the PS13, but the only Nissan which will temp me back 'in the game' would be a tidy 180sx......

OR... possibly an S15 with a S13 front-end.

Lush.

Post Thanks / Like

Pah, 4G63 FTW

Post Thanks / Like

Pfft.... 2JZ FTW

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lilmark View Post
    the sr20det in the pulsar and 200sx are different, the parts cannot be changed between them
    interesting, why is that? what exactly is different and not interchangable? i dont know anything about nissans but have always assumed these 2 models shared the same engines

Post Thanks / Like

Raj, they run under the same engine code but the differences are quite dramatic.

The Pulsar runs 4 throttle bodies, a larger T28, no variable valve timing and the rods are 19mm.

The 200's run a variable valve timing sprocket on the inlet cam, have a single throttle body before the plenum, a smaller T28 (although the cold side is the same spec as the Pulsar's) and the rods are 17mm

Not to mention the engine doesn't run transverse in the 200 compared to the the GTiR.

Although both engines cope well with no internal mods.

I've never heard of the shims being a problem either.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Post Thanks / Like

Raj, they run under the same engine code but the differences are quite dramatic.

The Pulsar runs 4 throttle bodies, a larger T28, no variable valve timing and the rods are 19mm.

The 200's run a variable valve timing sprocket on the inlet cam, have a single throttle body before the plenum, a smaller T28 (although the cold side is the same spec as the Pulsar's) and the rods are 17mm

Not to mention the engine doesn't run transverse in the 200 compared to the the GTiR.

Although both engines cope well with no internal mods.

I've never heard of the shims being a problem either.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

interesting stuff so which would you say has the most potential? which has the nissan nutters stamp of approval?

why are the rods different lengths?

Post Thanks / Like

The rods are only different in thickness, same stroke.

The Pulsars have the better potential really but the transmission saps all the power. The 200's are lighter though, well the S14a is. The Pulsar is 1260kg's and the S14a is 1220kg's.

There's been quite a few conversions of the GTiR lump into Almera's and UK Sunny fwd models.

There was one chap who put a GTiR engine into a Micra, that was a pretty quick car as it competed in TOTB and came second behind a vag powered mk2 Golf, it recorded a top speed of 169mph but the track ran out. Although he did a track day a short while after and the aerodynamics of the Micra ended up losing as the back end of the car lifted off the track at 130mph and the car flew into a barrier.

Post Thanks / Like

There was one chap who put a GTiR engine into a Micra, that was a pretty quick car as it competed in TOTB and came second behind a vag powered mk2 Golf, it recorded a top speed of 169mph but the track ran out. Although he did a track day a short while after and the aerodynamics of the Micra ended up losing as the back end of the car lifted off the track at 130mph and the car flew into a barrier.

Post Thanks / Like

The rods are only different in thickness, same stroke.

The Pulsars have the better potential really but the transmission saps all the power. The 200's are lighter though, well the S14a is. The Pulsar is 1260kg's and the S14a is 1220kg's.

There's been quite a few conversions of the GTiR lump into Almera's and UK Sunny fwd models.

really! i would have thought the 200s with vvt would have the edge with them being lighter? can you not fit individual throttle bodies to the 200? getting quite interested now

Post Thanks / Like

really! i would have thought the 200s with vvt would have the edge with them being lighter? can you not fit individual throttle bodies to the 200? getting quite interested now
    You'd be better off just spending your money on the usual upgrade bits for the S -body engine.

Post Thanks / Like

The S14's are suprisingly quick with nearly no mods. When I got mine it only had a fuel pump, exhaust and front mount running 13psi and it wasn't hard to provoke the back end on boost.

The throttle bodies are what give the GTiR the edge, but when you compare the transmission losses the rear wheel drive car is probably quicker. The standard turbo is the only thing that limits the 200's as they'll struggle to get over 300bhp with them.

You can buy mail order ecu's for them too, which i've been told several times aren't as bad as they sound but i'd still never trust one.

There's so many upgrades available it's a little confusing to know what you want to do, if you're actually planning on messing about with one.

The 200's run 4 pots as standard too compared to the GTiR's lazy, brake fading 2 pot setup

Scotland Regional Rep youngscottie's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by minty83 View Post

engines now in davies black almera with a gt30
    spent last weekend making a staight through front exit exhaust for it
    its loud

Post Thanks / Like

It had the GT3076 on it in the Micra, it's the same engine, and box, as far as I know. I saw the Almera up for sale about 5 months back, I guess it never sold...

Scotland Regional Rep youngscottie's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

It had the GT3076 on it in the Micra, it's the same engine, and box, as far as I know. I saw the Almera up for sale about 5 months back, I guess it never sold...
    turbo is now diffrent as it was killed in the frontend impact in the micra
    he told me the spec but it went straight through my head
    the box is the same with a rebuild after the painter killed 3rd gear
    davie sold the almera to a mate who then sold it on davie then bought the car back several month later for 4grand less
    talk about luck if he fell in the clyde hed come out holding a salmon

Post Thanks / Like

s-body ftw, easy to work on very easy to tune, if you want a 12 second car you could buy a car and tune it to run them for sub 4k, depending on what shape you want. ive done this with 2 different 200sx's now, ran a 12.7 @ 112mph in the first still on a stock turbo and the second pulled a 12.6 @ 118mph with a different map and a 2871r turbo. if you want cheap and fast you cant go wrong, 170+mph can be done, the last one woulda run low 12s if i had decent non gone off rubber. keep browsing the classifides as i want a new toy again but leaning towards building a track based hatch

Trader
    GT Turbo Spares co.uk
    South East Regional Rep
    Post Thanks / Like

Fancy a cheap new toy. Go down to Southampton docks. You can buy Japan tops without SAV test. There was a white GTI-R there a little while back £1700 straight of the boat sold as seen.