South West Regional Rep jesus in the seat of a 5's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

bigger cam..

am i correct in thinking along these lines...., if i put a bigger cam in a block , i would i need to adjust the fuelling?...., also does anyone have the valve clearance settings for a piper 260 , of which i think i have been informed it is?.
    I think i have some fuelling issues with my engine swap , i have put my standard carb on the donor block and it was fine but is now idiling lumpy etc, any suggestions or help regards the above please kind people.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: bigger cam..

Quote Originally Posted by jesus in the seat of a 5 View Post
    am i correct in thinking along these lines...., if i put a bigger cam in a block , i would i need to adjust the fuelling?...., also does anyone have the valve clearance settings for a piper 260 , of which i think i have been informed it is?.
    I think i have some fuelling issues with my engine swap , i have put my standard carb on the donor block and it was fine but is now idiling lumpy etc, any suggestions or help regards the above please kind people.
    KTec 260? that will have a lumpy idle, well rougher than a 285 anyway. You might want to richen the idle up a bit compared to standard.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Cooke View Post
    KTec 260? that will have a lumpy idle, well rougher than a 285 anyway. You might want to richen the idle up a bit compared to standard.
    ahh , so if i take it to a very close friend with a gasometer then that will assist me in setting it up im thinking, any thoughts andy?, what sort of reading would you be aiming for?.

Post Thanks / Like

don't worry about the gasometer, just richen it up until it feels best, you want to be on the lean end of that nice bit. The engine will tell you when it's running best

Idle quality is pretty much related to the area of the overlap triangle, compare the 260 to standard.

https://www.rtoc.org/cam/?cam=std+GTT...vance=0&vc=0.2

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks andy..nice link, would the valve clearances be near if not the same then as a standard cam...sorry for the blimmin quiz...

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks andy..nice link, would the valve clearances be near if not the same then as a standard cam...sorry for the blimmin quiz...
    yeah, just set them standard, but take care that you're measuring the distance between the valve tip and the worn bit of the rocker, and not the valve tip and the bit of the rocker that never sees any action.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Cooke View Post
    yeah, just set them standard, but take care that you're measuring the distance between the valve tip and the worn bit of the rocker, and not the valve tip and the bit of the rocker that never sees any action.
    thanks buddy , someone else mentioned that too...damn i may have learned something today..., now lets go see if it works....if it stops raining...

Post Thanks / Like

You have a air leak buddy. that engine was fine on sunday and the idle was set spot on., the valve clearances did'nt sound to bad either. I thinks its got a 270 piper in it, which the clearances are 25 inlet 30 exhaust. Give me a ring and i'll get you to check afew things. Blame the 'M' he fitted the carb!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tarmac trasher - Nick View Post
    You have a air leak buddy. that engine was fine on sunday and the idle was set spot on., the valve clearances did'nt sound to bad either. I thinks its got a 270 piper in it, which the clearances are 25 inlet 30 exhaust. Give me a ring and i'll get you to check afew things. Blame the 'M' he fitted the carb!!
    cheers nick , pm me your number buddy, last time it occured it was the mixture screw not sealing......, gotta sort it...im gettin the gtt blues.......ta.

Post Thanks / Like

Have you tried cleaning the idle jet out Oh holy one?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Logg View Post
    Have you tried cleaning the idle jet out Oh holy one?
    aint tried owt yet logg as its peeing down.....again.., will do though buddy..ta for the sidey too..its on...

Post Thanks / Like

aint tried owt yet logg as its peeing down.....again.., will do though buddy..ta for the sidey too..its on...
    Not a problem! It was a touch of luck I was in the area at the right time!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Logg View Post
    Not a problem! It was a touch of luck I was in the area at the right time!
    was good to see you again buddy , we must share some cyder next time...., no wheres that krissey m, he`s` jinxed my carb.....

Post Thanks / Like

..cleaned out idle jet , replaced the o ring as it looked buggerd, also noticed the choke cable had been sticking majorly which would not of helped as it doesnt have the original clip....well didnt..., she is now running like a dream, nice idle...good pick up, good oil pressure and nice temp {with a lovely spal fan}, jesus is happy again...fingers crossed , cheers for the replys etc people...jeez.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey Jeez, do you know the size of the idle jet o ring ??

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Deano View Post
    Hey Jeez, do you know the size of the idle jet o ring ??
    err..to be honest bud im not sure ..i could dig through the rubbish if ya like and find the old one an measure it , it came out of what was left from a rebuild kit sorry buddy, im sure cgb sell um seperatly?...ask bob nicely to send one in a normal envolope with a stamp...

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

I've got a drawer with about a thousand different sized o rings so i must have one !
    Just need the inside dia !
    You don't have to go getting bean juice on yourself though mate ! i'll do a measure when i get home

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Deano View Post
    I've got a drawer with about a thousand different sized o rings so i must have one !
    Just need the inside dia !
    You don't have to go getting bean juice on yourself though mate ! i'll do a measure when i get home
    ...no worries, if ya need me too just ask...

Post Thanks / Like

Halfrauds is your friend they do kits of o rings, e clips, circlips etc all for a round the three pound mark