Post Thanks / Like

Aftermarket ECU Options

New poster! (less than 10 posts)

Just trying to find out some info about whats available really, here is the situation...

At the moment, running F4R 730 engine, standard 172 ECU (siemens) with a map flashed onto it (GroupN from fashchip using the RSTuner interface).

Engine only has 'light' work, Schrick cams, not much else that is relevant.

Now, I was supposed to be getting sent a file to flash onto the ECU from the guy who runs fastchip/rstuner, as he already wrote a map for someone who had schrick cams in a 172, but hes decided to ignore any messages from me etc, cant be arsed chasing him around!

Anyway, just wondering what options for ECU's I have... I want to steer clear of OMEX if possible, everyone I know who has had it have had nothing but issues...

I have nothing else relying on the ECU (Its a MK1 clio shell, with cut down valver loom for the dash/lights), basically all the 172 ECU is doing at the moment is running the engine, and thats it. So thats all the aftermarket one will be doing really!

In the future might mod the engine more heavily, but im sure 99.9% of aftermarket units will be able to cope with most you can throw at it on a 4cyl engine...Also another requirement is how user friendly the unit is...I want to learn how mapping works, and how maps are written, this is one of the main reasons why I want to go aftermarket....Also data-logging is a must if possible.

Adaptronic? DTA?

Cheers

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Aftermarket ECU Options

Theres a bloke kicking about on here by the name of Scoff...he's into that sort of thing, I'd ask him

East Midlands Regional Rep Os8472's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Was gunna say Omex cus its now a plug and play option on the 172 engine.

Adaptronic, Emerald are proberbly ya best options, both have alot features and both are fairly well priced, the main advantage the adaptronic has is that our resisdent quatermile king Scoff knows em inside out

Post Thanks / Like

I have met him a few times (at Matts/Norms with the clioTT if your reading this scoff, lol), and realised he posts up alot about adaptronic on here...

Thought I better not PM him directly though as he must get quite a few, so thought id post up in here for now lol

Quote Originally Posted by Os8472 View Post
    Was gunna say Omex cus its now a plug and play option on the 172 engine.

Adaptronic, Emerald are proberbly ya best options, both have alot features and both are fairly well priced, the main advantage the adaptronic has is that our resisdent quatermile king Scoff knows em inside out
    Yeah, quite a few people with 172's have it that I know over on cliosport, BUT...the 600series dosent do data logging unless you have the laptop plugged in all the time when driving....do any other brands log onto a flash device or similar?

People who I have spoken to about Omex say yeah its a good bit of kit, but they wouldnt buy it again if they had to go aftermarket...for various reasons...so its all a big thinking game for me at the moment!

Post Thanks / Like

An aftermarket ecu is only as good as the person installing/mapping it - When I think of Clio's & Omex ecu's, I think of GDI/Andy Cutler...I'll say no more.

Scoff's ya man for anything Adaptronic related. Damn good piece of kit, good features, v user friendly, and a good price to boot. Win.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi jord, id go adaptronic.. drop scoff an email, also hes pretty local to you so if you had any issues with mapping am sure he would help the best he can.

http://www.efi-parts.co.uk/Home.html

Best customer service you could ever ask for...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rob@Backyardracing View Post
    Hi jord, id go adaptronic.. drop scoff an email, also hes pretty local to you so if you had any issues with mapping am sure he would help the best he can.

http://www.efi-parts.co.uk/Home.html

Best customer service you could ever ask for...

Here Here - Didn't even buy my 420e from him (he wasn't selling them when I bought mine) but he has helped me no end in setting it up to get me going.

The adaptronic unit also offers possibly far more facilities than you could use. I'm just pisse* off that I live nowhere near the Scoffmiester.

Post Thanks / Like

So basically, say I decided to go Adaptronic...

What would I acctually need to purchase, any sensors/extras other than the unit and loom (for my present setup)?

Say I bought what I needed, fitted it, what would I need to get it up and running? Basically I want to go aftermarket to learn how this works (all gotta start somewhere right?), then learn how maps are written (to save me spending rediculous amounts on mapping). Also, say I paid someone to map it as it is now, then got ITBs or something else in 6 months time, I dont want to have to pay out again for it all to be re-done!

If the car breaks due to something I did wrong, im not *that* bothered, have enough spares to get it going again engine wise anyway! Gotta learn some way eh

So basically, once i had installed the loom and unit and whatever else I need, presume a base map to get it running, then it goes from there?

Post Thanks / Like

As above comments, the best selling point of any ECU is knowing someone that knows it .I had a few nightmares with the Adaptronic ,not down to the unit itself but to the ' experts' I had work with it before I convinced Scoff to look at a proper engine

I'm sure Scoff will be along soon and will be able to tell you exactly the options open and what you need,don't need, where to fit and why .....
    My opinion would be to get all the hardware bought and fitted then spend a few quid on his services and learn in the process .There will probably be a basic Adapt map out there already but I'd be wary of just loading it and messing around yourself initially .

Once the base map is there it gets simpler but I still call on Scoff to set it up for an hour or so . I find I cant drive at full bore ,work the computer ,watch the afr and make adjustments as I go .......Extreme multi-tasking

Post Thanks / Like

what is everyone's view's on the dta s 60 pro?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by allanr5gtt View Post
    what is everyone's view's on the dta s 60 pro?
    I'm a fan of DTA, but then I know Alan Warburton the designer/owner. It's not really DIY stuff though.

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Cooke View Post
    I'm a fan of DTA, but then I know Alan Warburton the designer/owner. It's not really DIY stuff though.
    Could you ask him to write some better software ?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scoff View Post
    Could you ask him to write some better software ?
    I wouldn't dare

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

In all seriousness, there's a lot to choose from and ultimately they'll all do basically the same thing, what makes people choose one system over another is usually the preference of their mapper or installer. That aside you really just have to ask yourself what features you are going to want and then make sure that the system you choose will do the job.

Post Thanks / Like

Is it not always best to ask the person you want to map the car what they like using,

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scoff View Post
    In all seriousness, there's a lot to choose from and ultimately they'll all do basically the same thing, what makes people choose one system over another is usually the preference of their mapper or installer. That aside you really just have to ask yourself what features you are going to want and then make sure that the system you choose will do the job.
    Doh beat me to it