Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Classifieds...

Can we have it so people have to put a price when selling something?

Committee, Treasurer, Memberships admin Ian S's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Classifieds...

Why cant' they?

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian S View Post
    Why cant' they?
    It's just a personal thing saves all the crap when people say offers, rules that we follow on a different site I use are:

Before you post your for sale thread, we'd like to request that for the sanity of yourself, and the staff, that you adhere to the following couple of rules:

- Please put a guide price on your item. Don't put offers, because it is an open invite for people to be stupid.

- If you are unsure on the price, put a price in with ono on the end (or nearest offer)

- Please describe your item thoroughly and be as honest as possible. Pictures also help.

for everyone else, DO NOT spam for sale threads, you have the rest of the forum for that. If you aren't interested in buying the item(s) don't post.

Anyone not following these rules will be warned once and if the warning is no adhered to the thread will be deleted.

Just thought it would work well on here as well thats all

Post Thanks / Like

I have always said "open to offers"....how I got the name Del Boy.....

I would rather sell something for what other people think it is worth than keep something JUST because I think it's worth more....not good business in my eye's but hey....just my opinion..

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree that it's not good business, but this is a car site not a business and it's in the best interest IMO of the people who want to buy items that it has a price on it, much like when you go into a supermarket!

Post Thanks / Like

yes I agree....
    but if you had seen milk at £1.30 for 2 pints.........but in a shop you were in earlier had it for £0.90 for 2 pints.....

would you buy the one in front of you or return to the first shop...

thats where prices shown mean nothing....it's what your willing to pay for something...
    everyone has a different idea of "worth"....
    I'm not running a "business" , I was using the term loosely

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by paul b View Post
    yes I agree....
    but if you had seen milk at £1.30 for 2 pints.........but in a shop you were in earlier had it for £0.90 for 2 pints.....

would you buy the one in front of you or return to the first shop...

thats where prices shown mean nothing....it's what your willing to pay for something...
    everyone has a different idea of "worth"....
    I'm not running a "business" , I was using the term loosely
    I would return to the first shop and buy it from that one, but thats only because I know what the prices are so I was able to compare them

It's just my opinion really that there should be a price on a classified, if you don't want to let on how much you want for it then stick it on ebay!

Post Thanks / Like

The problem with "offer" is that some people don't actually know how they should pay for an item, call them (me inc) noobs, newb or whatever but some people just don't have the knowledge (hense why they join RTOC).

So if you sell a set of wheels for £100, because thats how much you want for them, then i can decide if i want to pay that £100 or if i am going to go in with an offer of £70-80.

Post Thanks / Like

there, you have just answered it...

if it has a price,,,,thats what someone wants for the item.....

and then someone offers you less....I would find that insulting,but thats just me....
    if i put a price, thats what i want ...no offers,no quibble....
    if i put offers then I am asking what your willing to pay the item....

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

It was more from the newbie side of things, RTOC has been on a steep learning curve, with "GRP A" headgaskets being sold by tuners for the same thing that was available in GSF at half the price.

So thats what I was really getting at, if its on some previous classifieds for example that an alternator sold for prices ranging from £10 - £40 then you know you shouldn't really pe paying more than £40, but if all adds said offers then some people would get ripped off and pay more maybe?

I put prices up to be flexibile, I have actually put up a price and sold if for more than I wanted because people have advised that it was under priced!!

Committee, Treasurer, Memberships admin Ian S's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

We can't really force sellers to set a fee. Their option is either set a fee of not place an add. They may just use ebay and our members lose out.

It's sometimes lazy of the seller to not go a research the price. Their laziness is not a reason to deny our members some good parts.

Sometime parts don't have a price. As Paul says, it only worth what someone who wants it thinks it worth. Again, wrong for us to make the seller go else where.

The buyer would usually research the price, whatever the seller sets.

Sellers could have a buy it now price and make an offer offer.

That really means the buy it now is pointless. eBay only have that because of the locked advert time scale of the system they have.

Post Thanks / Like

RTOC on a steep learning curve? You're kidding, the gradient barely registers

Post Thanks / Like