Post Thanks / Like

Saving a Willams 2

Thought i would share what me and my mate Steve done last year will copy and paste bits over

Well where do i start i bought a williams 2 in august 2008 for £1450 it had 114k on the clock and had alot of service history and old mots. The body work was ok but far from mint the engine and all the dials and everything else worked as they should ran sweet. It was standard apart from the pipercross air filter and stainless cat back system.

Within a few months i changed the front bonnet rear boot both were dented for a good condition freshly painted ones, also changed the Cambelt, waterpump 2x front shock mount kits bushes, new front and rear discs and pads, 2x new rods and track rod ends, 2x new wishbones, the 4 anti roll bar bushes with all new clips, 2 x cv boots, new manifold gasket , spark plugs oil filter oil and fuel filter ,tracking, new power steering fluid and a brake bleed with new fluid just put it through an mot and it flew though.

couple off pictures of the 2 a few years ago

in september 2009 i had to take the car off the road and sorn it as i was buying a house and could not afford to run 2 cars at the time so this sat in the rear off my new house since then so over 3 years now
    in around june this year i wanted to put the car on the road as i really missed it i knew it need work body wise but did not think it would be this bad the other side is all ok looks like it had been done in the past

i was really sad to see this as the car ran sweet and all the money on all the bits i changed just before i took off the road with gen Renault parts the engine still starts first time now. So at the time i thought should i spend money on this or buy another and change all the good new bits of this with another in better body condition.

So at that point i thought i might as well strip the car for parts and went on a hunt for a Williams 1.

In june/ july 2012 i went on a hunt for a Williams 1 i bought one of here from a member called Dunc in august 4 years after buying the 2 it was number 106 for £1300 with 115 k on the clock it had a bit off rust but nowhere as bad as mine just the sills under was solid

so as i had a lot of new bits on my 2 i decided to swap the newer better parts over to the 1.

So a few days after getting car i moved the 2 to the front of the house on my drive and moved the 1 to where my 2 had been sitting for 3 years

williams 1 when i got it

the bonnet has a few dents and loads of stone chips so going to swap it over with the 2 which is mint also sorted out the bumper which was sticking out

this is where the last owner cut the rusty parts off the sill to re plate it but never got round to doing it going to get the whole sill done anway

Reply Reply With Quote

13-12-2012, 17:32 #4
    andreas395

Subscribed Member Join DateSep 2008LocationLUTONPosts767

first off was to sort out the bonnet and engine bay area so took the bonnet off and sorted out the slam panel

treated the rust

changed the rubber sill from the williams 2

put the bonnet back on and sorted out the cable safety wire

sorted out the air box had a broken clip and put my itg filter in from my 2

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Saving a Willams 2

swapped the heatsheild as the one in the 2 was in better condition

put new Bosch HT leads in

took the scuttle panels off and changed them with new ones are bought years ago also had a good clean up

new panels on

changed the wiper arms over for better ones off the w 2

now gave the engine bay a good clean

changed the door card over as the williams 1 was all split but the one off the williams 2 was not perfect but still in better condition

good panel well goodish

Post Thanks / Like

next was to change over all the the disk and pads lower arms and bushes from the williams 2 to 1 as there were near on new. Then from the williams 1 to the 2, all the williams 1 stuff coming off was all in good working order but not as new

first strip the OSR disk and pads of the williams 1

then stipped the OSR disk pads and fitting kit of the williams 2

fitted the OSR disk and pads from the williams 1 on to the 2

fitted the OSR disk and pads plus the fitting kit on to the williams 1 from the 2

then done the same on the NSR stipped the williams 1 and fitted the 2 disk pads and fitting kit on

then to strip the front OSF lower arm, outer arb bush and disk and pads

cleaned the subframe

sripped the same of the front of the williams 2 to go on the 1

to go on the williams 1 can see how new the stuff is off the 2 only covered about 1000 miles

on to the williams 1

OSF Finished on the willams 1

the everything from the williams 1 to the 2

now the NSF disk, pads lower arm and outer arb bush off the williams 2

then stipped the 1

cleaned this side of the subframe

to fit on the williams 1

all onto the williams 1

then everything back on the 2 got say it was bloody hardwork woking on 2 wiiliams at once and i kept on forgetting what one i was on from time to time lol

fixed the front bumper as it was sticking out

fitted a plastic panel off the 2 which was not on the williams 1

a few new bits for the williams 1

also put my williams wheels off my number 2 on to my 1 as there in better condition and the right colour as they have never been refurbed
    also got the garage ready for the williams 1

now how things are the williams 1 is in the garage and the williams 2 is back in it usual spot

so thats it for now the Williams 1 is tucked away and will be getting restored in the future , also me and my mate are going to save the Williams 2 and strip and weld it up as a project of ours as i was going to strip it and scrap the rest but just couldn't .
    so let the fun begin

Post Thanks / Like

got alot done on the williams 2 the last 3 weeks big thanks to my mate Steve for all the help with the welding got so many pictures to post up and im really happy with the way its coming along i was that close to stripping it at one point but glad i didnt. The williams 1 is still in the garage think it will be there awhile and this No 2 on the road asap

before being stripped

time to start cutting and welding

inner drivers side arch

boot

ns seal

Post Thanks / Like

the essentials

sorted the rear beam rubbed down then treated with krust

sprayed with zinc primer

then sprayed black with stone chip guard

next was the inner front wings was both solid with just a little surface rust so treated then undersealed both

ns seal

zinc primer ready for paint

inside the ns arch

all the inside is done now

Post Thanks / Like

stone chip + underseal with a paint brush to give it that ripple effect then painted over with 449 paint

getting there

next the scuttle panels and door trims

all trim primered ready for paint

thats all i have done for now but got all this weekend to get as much as we can done

got a few bits done today

redone the wiper arms

sprayed the door card pockets

passenger side now all finished

also treated and sprayed the front

and got some new wipers and rear shocks to

tomorrow my mate steve is coming round to do some welding

Post Thanks / Like

got alot done this weekend fitted the rear arch and drivers side sill very happy with the results had to mod them both to fit right and look original

the front was solid when getting the wire wheel on it, with only suface rust so treated then sprayed with high zinc primer

had to rebuld this area as it was the worse part of the car just need to drill a hole for the rear beem bolt to go through

time to take on the arch

Post Thanks / Like

you see where we had to mod to keep the flare in the back arch

also sorted out the door and gave the front bumper a clean

all the welding is done also got a few other things done on the car that needed doing

sorted the hoses

rear arch done and all the car is undercoated

Post Thanks / Like

got a few more bits done my bolts came from france so fitted the rear beam

cleaned the main earth points

new rear hoses

dirty carpet

cleaned dash while the carpet is in the sun drying off

sorted out all the wires as it came with 6x9 on the shelf may aswell use them as the system is rather pants

update time

rear beam bolts and nuts also got a set for the williams 1 as i had to get the shorter one s from france also got an outer window sill

new brake hoses

rear beam on

got alot done over the last few days car is getting there

old rear shocks

new shocks on

cleaned seats and fitted the interior

sorted out the drivers seatbelt

Post Thanks / Like

changed all the brake fluid a bleed the brakes also got sme coolant but not come round to do that yet

just waiting for some new rubber as out of the 2 clios i only have 3 that are road worthy

Post Thanks / Like

sorted the door card for the williams 2

sorted out all my spare bits and pieces also got a few new bits for the williams 1 for when i come round to fixing that up

new grill and fog lights for the no 1

also got some new rubber coming as most of them are cracked and old

got my MOT on sat lets hope it passes then it will be back on the road nearly 4 years its been cant wait

got the final things done today before MOT time tomo

door card back on

tyres sorted just waiting for 1 more to come through the post but there all road worthy on the car now

had a bit off an issue bolts are like cheese

now at the front off my house ready for Mot in the morning hopefully it passes and i can take it to get the door a rear quarter resprayed

Post Thanks / Like

It passed its MOT today woohoooooo

the car is booked in for tuesday at a body shop as my mate is long and busy so getting the os rear quarter, door, sill, front bumper done i might get the other side done to but not sure yet also got a few more things done.

fitted some brighter bulbs and my RAC tax disc holder i got if member a few years ago, i got one off p4cks but saving it for the number 1

fitted my amp and speakers could not stand the 6x9 holes in the parcel shelf from the previous owner so looks better now. I have a uncut one with suit carrier but thats for the williams 1

got a few jobs done today oil and filter change, flushed the system and replaced with new coolant also fitted a new alternator as the other was shagged

new alternator got it from my local renault parts, little shop i found in town near me last month £80 was a bargin to

and the first bolt had to snap made life harder to get the f**ker out

finally out

new filter on the other was a nightmare to get of had to use the good old swan necks

flushed the system as till it ran clear

and everything back together

took it for a half hour drive and everything seems sweet so just the paint work left to do

Post Thanks / Like

fitted my air box back on today which is much better for these cars and going to spray my spare wheel black again then take it to get a better tyre fitted will do that tomo

the car has been in the paint shop since tuesday and will prob be there about another week or so as i was not happy with the NSR quarter bodge job from the previous owners, was not the right shape and the filler started to crack so insead of just getting the side sprayed that me and my mate fixed up im getting the whole car done with the NSR quarter being sorted so the car should look mint again. The only thing thats not getting sprayed is the roof and rear boot which is ok as my boot was done a few years ago.
    I did not want to go mad on the williams 2 as i have the No 1 in the garage but i have decided to keep both now so why not the number 1 will get stripped fully when i restore that in the future and eveything original

just been down to the paint shop getting there slowly, i know he has being doing it in his spare time as he is really busy but he is doing me alot of work for the money so i dont mind waiting

a few pictures hopefully ready by next friday

Post Thanks / Like

just come back from the body shop the doors could do with a full strip and all be done inside and out as on both there is some rust on the bottom so getting that done also where the scuttle panel sits and goes over the front piller theres some rust spots so the front windscreen is coming out and scuttle panel off and all being sorted and painted gonna end up a full respray soon lol
    They are also sorting out my side trims and and roof molding get them looking new again

a few pics i took today

got a few new bits through the post today all the clips and bits and pieces ive needed for the body shop that have been needed i have bought twice so i dont need to hunt around for when i do the 1 also went down to the body shop everything is primered ready for paint

door seal trim clips and a new side moulding badge

new headlights and indicators lenses for the W1

Some window reg clips for the w1 also needed to get some new cage nuts as they had broke

the car getting him to save the kick plate stickers as im not paying over £300 for 4 as i have bought a set already but keeping for the 1

not long now then

Post Thanks / Like

i popped down today and the car is now sprayed just putting things back together now and give it a polish over. They had a nightmare with the doors to but all on now, only took a few pics as my camera died.

Also got some head light trims

just got back from paint shop and there just doing the finishing bits, they just started moping the car when i got there and all looking good very happy with it
    picking it up on monday

Post Thanks / Like

got my car back today and its looking mint very happy with it still waiting for one side sticker from RPD been about 6 weeks now i have one here but need the other i have email Paul wright and he never had no infil ones left and doesnt seem to want to get anymore done so i hope rpd dont flop again on delivering the goods.

took a few photos at the petrol station

Post Thanks / Like

sorted out my rev counter the regulator had gone and was messing around with my electrics, my revs used to sit to high and go down when i used anything like electric windows all sorted now

more new bits

new cobra case

after seeing P4cks refurb his steering wheel thought i would give it ago

leather dye

as my grill was broken and i had no clips i got a some new ones with a new primered grill got to get it painted

been doing bits that have been needed doing for a while so as the weather has been ok lately thought i would get on the case

took the TB off and gave it a good clean then re oiled up

sorted the TPS as the wires were bare so used a hot glue gun, works a treat

cleaned the ISCV in my ultrasonic cleaner

i have a wobble at low speeds on the speedo and its making it idle at 1500 k after booting it, Its messing around with the speed sensor so i change the plastic doofer and re earthed the speedo wire but still no luck my cable has had it, so ordered one of RPD today and that should be the end of all the little problems and all running sweet

was a nightmare getting the cable out

old plastic pin

Post Thanks / Like

fixed up my heatshield

got some 10mm spacers for the back and some new bolts all round

also got this part that goes on the gear stick link bar as my one has gone completely and the gear stick moves around so this should stiffen it up

got some number plate surrounds but only 1 fitted on the rear as its to narrow on the front bumper

also fitted my stickers big thanks to Paul Wright

the rear boot never had the no 2 on it so all complete now

got a few more things to do like fit the rear spacers, 4th gearbox mount also got a poly-bushed dog bone on the W1 so going to put it on the W2 and that's it for now get ready for FCS

Post Thanks / Like

got a bit done today in this muggy weather was even worse when i had to take things off the W1 in the garage like fooking oven

fist i started with the gear linkage spring feels so much better now a lot less movement

then took the dog bone off as i wanted to swap it with the powerflex one off the W1 in the garage

looks knackered to me will get a new one for the W1

Then took the powerflex dog bone off the number 1 in the garage

then fitted to the W2

i also noticed my front shock was leaking so i swapped it over with one on the W1 in the garage, going to get new ones for when i restore the W1

fooked

then i thought, be easy just swap them over NOT different fooking springs seem to be lower on the one so i had to change them over to

all done

put a new gasket and sealent as i had a slight leak on my front pipe

changed the oil 10w 40 semi and some engine oil additive going to put some fuel cleaner when i fill up to

also some new nuts and for the alloys as the standard old ones are like cheese, also started to paint my calipers

got a 4th gear box mount off a clio 172 and some new bolts going to save it for my W1 and put it on that

Post Thanks / Like

got the brakes finished today painted the front and rears, i also took the rears apart as the runners were getting stiff so re greased everything, had some slight movement in the wheel so had to change the bearing to on the NSR also fitted new bolts all around and some 10mm spacers on the rears

OSR

also re under sealed the inner arches

NSR

With the spacers on

also picked up my freshly painted new grill today

going to give it a wash and wax tomo ready for FCS on Saturday

i washed and waxed the car today, all ready for FCS tomo and looking the best i have ever seen the car since owing the car for 5 years all that hard work has paid off

so thats it for the Williams 2 it was sold to a good mate of mine last year and thats how i got the electric blue Renault r5 gtt i own now
    i still have my Williams 1 that im still collecting bits for and will restore it in the future to fully oe spec

East Midlands Area Rep Mr Raider's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Great project thread fella, for a moment there I thought you had 2 Williams Clios and the 'leccy blue 5 gtt too! Awesome work

Post Thanks / Like

love the project thread. worth all that youve done for youe electric blue 5. think that looks amazing especially with the turbine wheels. wish i was as handy with the spanners as you, would have saved me a lot of money in garage bills.