Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

decisions decisions....

some of you might know already, but im selling my stuff - cars and bits to fund a house, so that me and my missus can move in together. My mk1 TL has gone as has my silver ph1 gtt. Next on the list is the Turbo 2....
    Bearing in mind since ive had it ive fitted a cat 1 alarm, rebuilt the engine, replaced alot of the fuelling control system, sorted the wishbones and alignment out, how much do you think it would be worth?
    i've had an offer of £15k from the guy i bought it off 3years ago...

Post Thanks / Like

Re: decisions decisions....

current climate i would not be sure, id be asking 18k personaly.

its a car that if sombody wants it, they will have the money.

you could ask more then take offers... look at auto gayder they want 24k hmmm a bit much but well.

Up the price and play by ear, but do you really wanna sell is the question

Post Thanks / Like

damn dude really sorry to see you selling up but at least you know whats more important in life

goodluck with everything fella

Post Thanks / Like

i suggested £17.5k, he suggested £15k
    my car has alot of bits on it, but doesnt have a full 'service history'.
    i don't want to sell it, but its a necessity if i want to live in a furnished house.

Post Thanks / Like

Wish I could afford it

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkie View Post
    i suggested £17.5k, he suggested £15k
    my car has alot of bits on it, but doesnt have a full 'service history'.
    i don't want to sell it, but its a necessity if i want to live in a furnished house.
    you know he loves that car, dont budge and im sure he will give in eventually

Post Thanks / Like

Thing is mate, if you do sell the tubby, you have to ask yourself if you'll ever manage to afford, or even find, a minty one again? Everyone needs a hobby to cut them off from real world day to day shananigans, and although family should be everyone's number one priority, sometimes you have to look after number one as well.

Does the gaff have to be fully furnished? I moved in up here with a bean bag for my living room sofa and a few hand-me-downs pieces of furniture. As time goes on, you replace that gear for new/with what you can afford. Saying that, I've still got the bean bag...

If that's a no go, and/or you've moved on from the 'turbo hooligan' phase of your life, sell the tubby & enjoy pastures new

Post Thanks / Like

Agree with Mart to an extent, question is, would you want that hobby to be the £15k odd you have tied up in the 5, or something a bit cheaper if you were to sell it.

Post Thanks / Like

I will swap you all the furniture in my house for it then sparkie

Trader
    GT Turbo Spares co.uk
    South East Regional Rep
    Post Thanks / Like

Keep the car! 15k today what will it be worth in a few years. If you get rid of it will you get another? I am sure you can beg and borrow furniture etc. If all, else fails move in with the parents for a year and save as much money as possible then you can have the house, the car and the furniture.

Post Thanks / Like

i've enjoyed owning it for 3.5years, but i still have 2.5 years worth of loan to pay off on it.
    No matter how mint it is, doesnt take away the fact its a 'burden' to keep looking after it - drive it too hard, and you'll crash it, or break summat, and its CONSIDERABLY more expensive than a gtt to fix. It also constantly rusting, you are worrying about getting it scratched, stolen or generally vandalised.

most of the houses around here in the £70-80k mark do not have a garage, i'd have a driveway if i was lucky. so even if i could hang onto a gtt, then where would i park it?

just as a guide - one house local to me in not a very nice area was up for £65k, 3 bed etc etc. checked out the picture of the bathroom.....the previous owners had taken the panel out the side of the bath, , and even the toilet! - all that was left was the drainage pipe!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by phase i 16 v turbo View Post
    Keep the car! 15k today what will it be worth in a few years. If you get rid of it will you get another? I am sure you can beg and borrow furniture etc. If all, else fails move in with the parents for a year and save as much money as possible then you can have the house, the car and the furniture.
    i'm 33, and currently live with my parents. my missus lives in south wales and is pregnant..... what do you think is more important? a car or my kid? apparently if the house is a tip, the midwife will not let the baby move in.

Post Thanks / Like

I just want to say good luck what ever you decide. i think you will be able to afford a really nice 5.

You've got the skills to pay the bills mate.

if you need any help decorating or anything like gardening or summat just to get you in and settled let me know i will be round like a shot.

All the best

Your loving fan.

Kenobi

Non-member Penfold aka The Dealer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Sparkie,

You own a fantastic Tubby, you will never own one again (most likely), but then all good things have to come to an end!

Say good bye to the car & have wonderfull memories.

You home/family are with you for live & will bring more stress & happiness.

Wish i could afford it, its a lovely car!

Post Thanks / Like

It's apparent you have to sell it - I'm sure you've mulled it over far longer than any of us have. Good luck with the sale. You should get a decent price for it, even if there is a recession on at the moment. I know if I had the money, I'd certainly be interested.

Trader
    GT Turbo Spares co.uk
    South East Regional Rep
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkie View Post
    i'm 33, and currently live with my parents. my missus lives in south wales and is pregnant..... what do you think is more important? a car or my kid? apparently if the house is a tip, the midwife will not let the baby move in.
    Is there any way you not put the car into store? It is such a nice example, but family is important. I am sure things will work out for the best. Life comes in stages and I think you have come to the next stage of your life, but that also means new and exciting challenges ahead.
    I wish you the best in which ever choice you make.

Committee member
    Rats Nest Tuning
    Post Thanks / Like

Sparkie, If I were you I'd sell it. I'm in a similar position (although I dont live with my parents) We are looking to buy a bigger house now we have a baby... As much as I love my Clio V6 I really need to see it go. Like you say its similar to the Turbo2, too much abouse and I worry that something expensive will break or I'll crash it so I just cruise aroud everywhere at a steady pace.

I still owe 2.5 yrs on the loan same as you, If I didn't I would just put it into storage until the time was right but I need the monthly payment to afford a new home!

If I were you I'd of sold the Turbo2 and kept the silver Ph1 gtt.

Only problem is this may not be the best time to sell as I'm finding on the Vee.

Good luck

Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations Sparkie on the baby news (thanks for letting us know lol)

Tough decision but a quick £15k would do no harm in the back pocket and youy have no expense of the car going forward. Although if it was me I would not sell and make something work :P but it is a labour of love car (I think the vx is bad, but at least it's plastic )

Guess somrthing like a child / new house is always going to be the deal breaker with our love of silly cars

All the best with your decision, sure it will work out fine whatever your choice

DG

Post Thanks / Like

once i've paid the loan off i'd end up with about £8k, which would go along way towards making the house nice, and a buffer towards when the interest rates go back up...
    I'd never be able to afford one again, thats for sure. But as i said before, its been almost like a burden, as i always wanted to do other 'interesting' projects. - bike engine in a mk1 5, fiat 126, reliant kitten, or even gtt engine in renault 8, 16 or dacia.

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats Mark, didnt realise there was a little'n involved.

Yeah, it's a lovely car, but it is just a car. The baby will demand your full attention for a while.. i'd sell up and put the proceeds away for a rainy day.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Grier View Post
    Although if it was me I would not sell and make something work
    lookthe****out.com

Hey Mr Sparks,

As soon as you hold your baby in your arms i'm sure any regret about selling the car will soon disappear...... and then come rushing back a few years later when he/she starts testing your patience!

At the end of the day mate it's a beautiful car and very collectable now-a-days so if you do sell it you'll be able to find another in years to come and enjoy it then.

In the mean time as a few other people have said why not get yourself a cheeky little GTT to blast around in & then at least you'll have a bit of something to interest you & give you that dose of BOOST we all love!

Put Millie & I down for a wetting the baby's head party!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Big Steve - Raider View Post
    In the mean time as a few other people have said why not get yourself a cheeky little GTT to blast around in & then at least you'll have a bit of something to interest you & give you that dose of BOOST we all love!
    The first ever ride my son took was in my old GTT. I was selling it at the time to get something more suitable, but that 3 mile trip home just re-affirmed the need for something bigger and safer.

Dont worry Mark, you'll become all sensible very shortly

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with what the majority of people are saying in selling the car, it does make sense especially as you are planning for the future of your family.

Your whole perspective will change on everything the minute that tiny little person pops out!

Me and the missus don't have ideal cars for our 2.5yr old girl, we've found 3 door cars and a kid can add up to a ball ache LOL

I would buy that car in a heartbeat but something in the back of my head tells me that I would be out on my arse...hmm...could move back with mum and dad for a bit...

Post Thanks / Like

cheers for the support guys, i know that i'llbe making the right choice. Especially if i end up living in a not so nice area....
    i'm rolling around in a 1 litre K11 micra at the moment - who is gonna touch that?

Post Thanks / Like

hehe, i have a 1 litre k11 micra too!! for the daily grind, £180 off ebay!

had mine 1 week, someone stole it! luckily they didnt find my pickey immobalising switch that turns the fuel pump off, so they broke down 50 metres from the house lol.

but they are really easy to steal from the looks of it, just giving you a heads up, i`d fit some sort of "immobaliser" anyway

Post Thanks / Like

yeah, i asked my mate the car thief about how easy they are to steal, he nearly choked on his Sunny D with laughter. Screwdriver was mentioned.
    but EVERY road in brum has a micra on it. i paid £500 for my poverty spec LX

Jesus has a K11 micra too!

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

quality lol ive got a little one on the way, only about 9 weeks left. and im debating on selling the 5 i no its not a turbo 2. but i dont rekon ill end up selling it.

the missus can get the sensible car, as shes got to sell her 182, looking at megane diesels more mpg. cheap tax and insurance

Post Thanks / Like

I left my 5 in the garage and took care of the baby stuff first, then got back to it. Sparky you could sorn it and put it in a council garage and forget about it untill all the baby comotion wears off. It then only costs you the price of the garage rent every month. Beleive me, life soon turns to normal once the new arrrival novelty wears off. Then what do you do?

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

hey man my mrs has a JEAN RAGNOTTI jnr in her and is due september 29!

i pay all the bills for our house rent, coucil tax, phone, water, gas and the turbo 2 bills. i moved right next to work so i didnt need 2 cars lol

i told her i will keep a roof over our heads you sort the baby but never suggest taking my wheels

we have been in this house since feb and all is well dont make the same mistake moggy made when he sold his first turbo 2!

congrats too by the way

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MATT C Ringworm Tuning View Post
    I left my 5 in the garage and took care of the baby stuff first, then got back to it. Sparky you could sorn it and put it in a council garage and forget about it untill all the baby comotion wears off. It then only costs you the price of the garage rent every month. Beleive me, life soon turns to normal once the new arrrival novelty wears off. Then what do you do?
    i'm still paying £240 a month on the loan for the turbo 2. i have 2.5years left. i cannot afford that and a mortgage on my wages.

russ - congrats btw

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

cant you ask for a repayment break or consolidate your loan into a smaller longer term payment i bet if you told the bank your situation they would adjust your payments

or tell her to pull her finger out and chip in!

really i get in that turbo2 and it just makes my day its like going back in time and i just head into the hlls and get lost on b roads id go mad if i had to give it up

i did tell her i was selling all my gt stuff though only to make room for a mg group b project, but i left that bit out. didnt want to tempt fate

good luck and DONT SELL IT!

Post Thanks / Like

I'll still need to sell it hombre! even if i do take a payment break, then im still gonna have to pay it back later- but my situtaion won't have changed much at all. infact if anything, when the interest rate rises again, the mortages will rise again, hence i'd be in a worse position. i also have to think where i'd put it. alot of the houses in the price bracket i'm looking at do not have a driveway.
    i've done abit of digging, and over in europe cars similar to mine are fetching £19k....

Post Thanks / Like

def sell it, get every penny you can for it. This is no time to be carrying a debt.

at least you can get a decent price for it.

I gok 3K for my one of these when I bought my house

http://www.classiccarsforsale.co.uk/...hp/carno/56074

Post Thanks / Like

i remember you saying you had one! such a shame. but you gotta do what you gotta do!

Post Thanks / Like

It's such a shame that you have to sell but mucho respect for doing so

Adam told me you were selling up but although it's sad, you're doing this for family and obviously like myself and others, you understand that family are always number 1. The importance of the car, as much as you may love it, will look dismal in comparison to how you feel about your new baby.

Congrats on the pregnancy to you both!

p.s - Your baby is going to be chocolate coloured, the CUTEST kids are chocolate coloured, yay lol

Post Thanks / Like

Yep hard times but it's all part of life...you have something special to look forward to for the rest of your life...shame the car has to go but do your best to get every last pennysworth out of it.

Make sure it goes to a good home dude

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like you've made your decision, Sparkie. Hats off to you for realising your situation and doing what's necessary to pull you, and your new family, through it.

It's a shame you couldn't rent it out to a trusted friend or someone for 2 years and get it back once your loan is over. "In an ideal world".

Post Thanks / Like

Sparkie, we could have a furniture drive for you ? and rtoc "save the 5 " appeal.

Im sure we all have bits that could be given to ya so you can keep it only a thought

Post Thanks / Like

i drove it to my garage again last night to give it a wash and take some pictures. was nice to get back in it....but, i still gotta get rid.

just hope the guys can help me get rid of it for the right money now.

thanks for all the support.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

hi sparkie i had about 20 timewasters and 237 emails off piss heads opened emails and got virus . i had a cossie years ago pride and joy sold it to buy house best thing i ever did worth 20 times the amount now whats a cossie £6000. build for the future and the family then buy something later you realy want you will be happier and will give you something to look forward to not a lot of financial worry . i admire you for selling your pride and joy can you send me a picture as i have never seen it lee

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by leewild View Post
    hi sparkie i had about 20 timewasters and 237 emails off piss heads opened emails and got virus . i had a cossie years ago pride and joy sold it to buy house best thing i ever did worth 20 times the amount now whats a cossie £6000. build for the future and the family then buy something later you realy want you will be happier and will give you something to look forward to not a lot of financial worry . i admire you for selling your pride and joy can you send me a picture as i have never seen it lee
    Good advice. Property is an investment, cars are not!

Trader
    GT Turbo Spares co.uk
    South East Regional Rep
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BriC View Post
    Good advice. Property is an investment, cars are not!
    Depneds what cars you have stored away.

Post Thanks / Like

To a degree, but generally, if it is a car you are running / have to look after, it isn't an investment.

Trader
    GT Turbo Spares co.uk
    South East Regional Rep
    Post Thanks / Like

To a degree, but generally, if it is a car you are running / have to look after, it isn't an investment.
    This is true, but then it isn't an investment. I friend has put his money into cars over the years buying limited editions and not done bad out of it. The down side is you have to store them.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure how much of an investment property is at the moment, but you do need somewhere to live.

Post Thanks / Like

staying at my parents house isnt an option, and sleeping ontop of the engine in the turbo2 is damn uncomfortable!

Post Thanks / Like

Will you be getting another gt sparkie as a toy?

Post Thanks / Like

i've actually got one that me and my mate are doing up to sell. white with new rear quarters welded on. - technically it will be mine when we finish, but that should be for sale too. - depends if i have room.

Post Thanks / Like

New poster! (less than 10 posts)

word up.....i am so envious......... the wife and i are still trying ............

anyway........ every £1 borrowed today on a mortgage will on average be £2.04 paid back in the next twenty years or £1.51 on a fifteen year repayment mortgage.... times that by a £190'000 loan in london and the deposit can change the repayment hugely....you are very lucky to be able to sell a lot of things . the cost of buying the house was another £5'000 .. fees, survays, stamp duty , lawyers...best move though