Post Thanks / Like

Renault 5 GT Turbo, attainable power??

I talk about 5's a lot to randoms and they always say "my mate had a 300bhp monster of 5" and i always think, yeah right!!

Seriously though who has got the fastest and what 0-60 time is it. What BHP?

East Midlands Regional Rep Os8472's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Renault 5 GT Turbo, attainable power??

Ya wanna check the 1/4mile board mate, Gianni Santi is top of the board right now with a 11.2 quater mile and apparantly 450bhp, dunno how true that is but its what I heard

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

yeah i get that conversation as follows.
    "what power is that 5 mate"
    "around 120 mark at the moment"
    "that's slow my mates was 300bhp"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Os8472 View Post
    Ya wanna check the 1/4mile board mate, Gianni Santi is top of the board right now with a 11.2 quater mile and apparantly 450bhp, dunno how true that is but its what I heard
    Does the 1/4 board have price spent on vehicle colomn. be interesting to see like whats attainable on say a few grand and so on and so forth.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kenobi View Post
    Does the 1/4 board have price spent on vehicle colomn. be interesting to see like whats attainable on say a few grand and so on and so forth.
    No it doesn't. But money means nothing. (and neither do 0-60times) Someone could spend £15,000 on a 5 and it still might not be quick, knowledge is power, i thought a jedi would know that
    Mr Santi has spent 20 years perfecting his car, i bet he doesn't have a clue how much he's spent in that time, and i bet he doesn't care

Post Thanks / Like

No i doesn't but in a way could be interesting to see what power people got for the money they spent. One thing that could go against that is some people pay for labour and othrs do it themselves so it works out cheaper.
    But another arguement is you can spend all the money under the sun but if it isn't set up right its alot of money waisted

As Stu says too, to some people it doesn't matter either its all about the challenge of going that little bit faster.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Markey Mark (BD) View Post
    No i doesn't but in a way could be interesting to see what power people got for the money they spent. One thing that could go against that is some people pay for labour and othrs do it themselves so it works out cheaper.
    But another arguement is you can spend all the money under the sun but if it isn't set up right its alot of money waisted
    It does have a list of mods though, albeit not fully filled in, it gives an idea how much someone 'could' have spent, depends where the parts came from, if they were new, did they pay for them fitting or do it themselves etc, costs vary a lot

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stuTHC View Post
    It does have a list of mods though, albeit not fully filled in, it gives an idea how much someone 'could' have spent, depends where the parts came from, if they were new, did they pay for them fitting or do it themselves etc, costs vary a lot
    Yeah my idea was basically comparing cost of 5 plus work then compare that to a new car and the cost of it. Then compare performance.

Committee member
    Rats Nest Tuning
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah my idea was basically comparing cost of 5 plus work then compare that to a new car and the cost of it. Then compare performance.
    Good plan, but a new car is new and a Gtt never will be.

Post Thanks / Like

Time is money, i have spent time on my 5, some cash along the way but mainly time.

You can pick up an untidy viper for 20k, a huge dollop on nos for around 1500 quid and it will run deep into the 9's if not 8's with some slicks and kick out around 800bhp.

I would not like to think what i have spent in either time or money on my 5 but i have owned this one since 1996 and i had one before it for a couple of years.

Post Thanks / Like

thiught 11.1 was his best on youtube?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ashy View Post
    Good plan, but a new car is new and a Gtt never will be.
    would it be "new" if a unregestered shell was found and all brand new parts brought,
    when i was on a vauxhall forum they found a cavalier shell, plate showed year of regestration which wasnt pre 90
    every thing even down to nuts and bolts was vaux parts, cost over 10k iirc

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by R5GTTRaider View Post
    would it be "new" if a unregestered shell was found and all brand new parts brought,
    when i was on a vauxhall forum they found a cavalier shell, plate showed year of regestration which wasnt pre 90
    every thing even down to nuts and bolts was vaux parts, cost over 10k iirc
    most gtt have more than 10k spent on them in there a4 file id say on average from ones iv seen and looked at the always been invoice for bettween 10-15k as standard.. any1 that has had there car 5yrs+ would agree

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by R5GTTRaider View Post

No. For a start where are you gunna 'bring' all these new parts from? And secondly even if you could source and buy a full range of new parts to build it, the parts are still 20 odd years old. Okay they might be shinny, new and fresh off the production line in France, but they are still to made to the same 20 year old design, specifiying 20 year old techniques and using 20 year old materials.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by minty83 View Post
    most gtt have more than 10k spent on them in there a4 file id say on average from ones iv seen and looked at the always been invoice for bettween 10-15k as standard.. any1 that has had there car 5yrs+ would agree

No matter do you want to spend that much when everything is put down on the paper it really is 10k - 15k.

Post Thanks / Like

Hopefully, not for much longer!! I feel our very own Mr Clarke will either match it or beat that time!!

Post Thanks / Like

mines knocking out 500 bhp at the wheels, ive spent £17.50 on a set of spark plugs.