Post Thanks / Like

Best Spark Plugs

I used "search" and find single thread about spark plugs where Ian left his feedback on plugs commonly used in GTT. I started this thread after my friend suffered plug failure (Denso Iriduium) due to overfueling. The plugs didn't "work" at all after that. I had some problems with fueling and thinking of replacing the plugs for the new ones but think I won't go for Desno Irridium once again. Can't tell am I just under impression of the story but have feeling that Denso worked much better before they were splashed with petrol

I had Champion N3G and they were great. Thing is that I used them 5 years ago on std. boost. ATM I'm running 24 psi. Are they right choice for that amount of boost?

NGK B8EVX - were good but burned pretty fast on std. boost. (12 psi and 16 psi)

NGK B8EV - OK. N3G with 10k milles seamed better. (16 psi)

NGK B9EG - haven't use

Denso Irridium - Improvement over B8EVX for first 3k miles. Better engine temperatures and low end power (18 psi). Drop in top end power after overfueling (24 psi).

I have set of Champion N3C which have pretty thick electrode. Anyone used them before on their GTT? Think I found that info somewhere here...

Any feedback, suggestions and interesting stories that will help making "top five" list are welcome

It would be great to state what boost are/were you running with each plugs.
    Last edited by jure; 01-06-2009 at 11:15.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best Spark Plugs

Ive always been told (by scoff) to use normal NA plugs and stay well clear of 'race' type plugs. This was for my engine running a bar of boost thou, dunno if they'll be okay for running the sort of boost your talking about.

btw- Happy birthday fella

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the wishes mate!

What NA plugs? 1.1 Campus or 1.4 R5 or some other Renault?

Post Thanks / Like

1.4 campus (or similar plugs) NGK or champion

Post Thanks / Like

I use 1.4 campus plugs

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

I wish someone started this thread las week I just bought the B8 EVX ones that are around £5 each and I agree with jure that they do not last that long (although I think my engine running rich did not help).

I suppose the campus ones are a lot cheaper n' all

Committee, South East Regional Rep James5's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Just about to order some B8EVX going to hold back now look at some 1.4 campus jobbies

Is it the NGK - BPR6E S that everyone seems to use?
    Last edited by James5; 22-01-2010 at 12:50.

Post Thanks / Like

I had always used B8evx's with no fault up 18 psi. Above that i used B9eg's which seemed to cope well. At the end of the day, any plug tip will tell the tale of how healthy your fueling and engine is.

On the standard plug topic mentioned, im not sure what the benefit would be. Im sure scoff will reveal all....

Post Thanks / Like

With the ngk spark plugs the number in the code i.e 8 is the heat range of the plug, if your running higher boost, with higher combustion temps then you would consider goin to a 9,

I would expect the 5's to get too hot and cause pre-ignition also it can cause the engine to run on once turned off when warm

Once a plug has become fouled from over fuelling they will never clean up the same, an will misfire (short) across the same bit of electrode, hope this is of some help
    Phil

Post Thanks / Like

Fitted Champion N3C yesterday afternoon. Works fine on idle hot and cold. Haven't try it on full boost (24 psi) yet but do not feel small misfire/twitching around 3k rpm as with Irridium ones. More info tomorrow. Old ones were pretty black since my AFR is bit rich which also caused Irridium plugs not to work as they should.

Post Thanks / Like

i use campus 1.4NA plugs as well
    never had an issue. runs well even with 20psi