Post Thanks / Like

Ordered a new clutch for my r5 because i keep snapping cables

Just ordered a valeo new clutch from my local unipart because if its wrong i can easily swap it over etc.I know the club has gsf discount but thought id go local instead.Also ordered a rear crankcase oil seal gasket from renault as the cars always had a small oil leak and my dad thinks its that.

I got the car at 100k and the cluch has always been stiff but i just thought that was how they where because i read they are stiff.People have told me it shouldnt be as bad as it is though.Anyways i snapped a clutch cable at about 106k and the aa came out and fitted me a new one which cost £10.My dad said he had put it in wrong so it came back out and was put on properly.Thought this had sorted the problem not now its broke again at 109k.The clutch pedal has always made a creaking noise when it goes down.My mate said my clutch cable is a lot thinner and poorer quality than his 205 gti's.

My dad thinks its because the clutch is shot but ive just been on the phone to renault and they where saying it might be something to do with the cable ratchet if it has one? Would be good if it was just something easy and simple like that but i doubt it is so gonna fit the new clutch next week and get a runabout.Does the engine need to come out? Ive been told it can be done in situ.Ive looked but couldnt see a guide on this site.

Thanks,Luke

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ordered a new clutch for my r5 because i keep snapping cables

Check your clutch pedal quadrant, is it black or white plastic?

Post Thanks / Like

think it might be black il have a look soon.Its a 1989 phase 2.You thinking its maybe had the wrong cables on?

Post Thanks / Like

Not neccessarily. ONLY Renault OE clutch cables should fit... i've tried patent part ones before and they're either far too long or far too short.

As for the pedal, Renault re-designed the mechanism for the later cars, using (iirc) a white quadrant rather than the black, as they were prone to snapping cables... GSF used to sell the pedal assemblies quite cheap, but that was back in the day...

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info.Its black but with a white bit on.

Post Thanks / Like

Are you using a genuine renault clutch cable? The pattern part cables snap for fun.

I went through 4 pattern part cables in a month back in the day, Fitted a gen renault one & its been fine ever since..

The clutches are always heavy/stiff on the gtt too, New clutch won't change that, If anything a green box valeo will make it worse.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks il make sure i buy a proper renault cable this time then.I want my oil leak sorted anyways so it makes sense to stick a new clutch in and i still think its a lot stiffer than it should be.Il keep you guys updated anyways and maybe write a guide as their isnt one.

Does the engine need to come out? Will take me a while do it it id say as ive never done it before on an r5.

Post Thanks / Like

i'd say the engine has to come out if u want to change the rear seal!! if u can get a crane then remove the engine and leave the box in situ.

Post Thanks / Like

i agree with the genuine cable comments , i went through 2 pattern
    ones in 3 hours before i managed to fit the genuine reno .

Post Thanks / Like

Yes engine and box out to do the crank seal and fit a new clutch. Its easier this way. I would advise that genuine reno cables will still snap if the clutch is the 801015 valeo and the quadrant is worn. I would fit the soft pedal conversion while the box is off normally used on all the volvo's , clios 172 182 etc. makes a big difference.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks where do i buy the parts for the soft pedal conversion please? Will this also stop it breaking cables? I was told the valeo clutch is the best one to go for by someone who has had plenty of r5's.Gonna try a white quadrant as mine is black if gsf/renault still sell them.Tempted to fit the clutch next week as it arrives monday and i get my crankseal gasket on sat off renault.This would stop my small oil leak hopefully and give me more confidence that the car was sorted.I often drive to my mates in manchester which takes 2hours30 so i dont want it breaking because i cant drive all the way back from their in 2nd gear!

Post Thanks / Like

What clutch doesnt snap cables then? Im really pissed off about this because i dont know what i need.Do valeo make a normal clutch? The one ive ordered was about £90 from unipart and its made by valeo which im guessing is the uprated valeo one cgb sell that has a heavy feel which im guessing is what is already in the car.

Anymore help would be great please so i can get it ordered tomorow.So renault cable,white quadrant and what clutch please?

Post Thanks / Like

TRY the articles for the soft lad conversion... on the old site, there was a rather informative article listing all the Volvo part numbers.

Committee, South East Regional Rep James5's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny Tim View Post
    TRY the articles for the soft lad conversion... on the old site, there was a rather informative article listing all the Volvo part numbers.
    I have a 172 long clutch arm and clutch release bearing to go with it. If your interested drop me a pm

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by James5 View Post
    I have a 172 long clutch arm and clutch release bearing to go with it. If your interested drop me a pm

And there's your first soft lad

Post Thanks / Like

Will this stop it breaking cables or just make it easier to put the clutch in? My car is only 132bhp at the flywheel so i dont want a heavy uprated clutch.Is their a standard one i can buy from renault or something?

What clutch was in the car as standard?

Post Thanks / Like

Fit the valeo greenbox clutch. I have no problems with clutch cables snapping & have done many miles with them fitted. If you go for soft pedal it will be even easier on the cable.

Post Thanks / Like

i had this problem on a old 5 i had went through several proper renault clutchs replaced the pedel and ratchet system was fine again

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Last time i did a clutch cable ( about a year or so ago ) the cables that GSF were selling were genuine Renault ones. Might be worth ringing them to check

Post Thanks / Like

all this talk of clutch cables snapping........well i snapped it last night,
    even tho i have rac, guess were this muppet left the card....not in the car put it that way.
    so had to carefully change gear with no clutch for about 18 miles, luckily it happened on the a21, so i could drive in 5th for a2/3rds that distance, tho the fun began off the a21,managed to change gear and let the syncro mesh get the next gear in, but had fun at traffic lights on a slight hill.
    still which one is the shiz pedel bit, black or white,
    if its the shiz one am i best getting the better one along with the gen cable.
    i suppose the gen cable isnt cheap. tho its a part thats needed!!!

funny thing is i was reading this threas yesterday, then at mcdes heard the clutch pedel click, never had a 5 but instantly thought snapped cable, 3 miles down the road....snap!

never mind!!