Post Thanks / Like

aghh soo pissed off, (advise on security systems)

Basically the story is, i live in a pretty bad area for things like vandalism, full of young chavs and the like. I have a house with a large long drive with enough room to fit 7/9 cars on it.

Due to the bad area its not a good idea to leave cars parked at the top of the drive due to young chavs etc walking past and doing what they do best and fukin things up. However,,.. my stepdad for my apparnt reason feels the need to park a mini bus around 7/8 meteres from the bottom of the drive :S , what this usally means is that either your back end of the car is parking outside the gates or your about flush with your drive. (yesterday the problem was we cudnt even get fully on the drive), anyway , after asking him to drop the vehicle down some , and waiting 25 mins for him to do this due to watchin football he dropped it down just enough to get a car full on (about 1m). Needless to say the next morning, my gfs ka which was parked at the top of the drive has a dirty key mark right across the boot that has cracked away all the laquer meaning it certainly wont spray but worst off waters probably going to seem behind it and pull at it making it look terrible.

Seems some folks in this world really are fuked up pricks, and i can tell its put me in the worst of moods for the day, Seems you cannot have anything nice.

Im looking at installing some form of camera system, ideally though i could do with having it connected onto the pc as opposed to the tv as it will be easier for me to record everything that goes on through the night. It would be even more ideal for them to be wireless to save the hassle of the long route of cable that would need to be taken.

Any advice on the above systems would be appreciated, hopefully pod puts me and the mrs in a better mood.

Committee, Shop Manager, SE Regional Rep Bigfoot's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: aghh soo pissed off, (advise on security systems)

Sorry to hear that

Problem with that though, is you cannot record anything which is not your property, eg the pathway to the house. Also if you do record anything and you notice who they are they police cant do anything as its not the proper equipment to actually do something, it needs to be a recording equipment which the police have to come round and set the time/date on there and can not be altered any other way. Unless your looking at taking things into your own hands (which I wouldn't advise) maybe just get a dummy system which looks like a camera just for a deterent, but if they are that bad in the area whatever you put up will more than likely be vandalised

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Can’t help you with security but if they find out about it they will play up to the camera and more stuff will really get fuked up, I’ve got a £7000 08 corsa for driving instructing on the road due to the 5 being on my drive and I’ve got 1 big dent on the bonnet and now 1 on the roof (walking over it) and due to my job I cant do anything about it.

Post Thanks / Like

I know that may be the law, but not totally true.

A friend of mine had a camera linked to his PC, filming his car on his own driveway and it caught some of his neighbours drive, and the path between the 2 houses in the background. In short, he accidentally filmed his neighbours car being stolen one morning, the Police were really impressed with his setup and used it as evidence during the court case.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by djinuk View Post
    Basically the story is, i live in a pretty bad area for things like vandalism, full of young chavs and the like. I have a house with a large long drive with enough room to fit 7/9 cars on it.

Due to the bad area its not a good idea to leave cars parked at the top of the drive due to young chavs etc walking past and doing what they do best and fukin things up. However,,.. my stepdad for my apparnt reason feels the need to park a mini bus around 7/8 meteres from the bottom of the drive :S , what this usally means is that either your back end of the car is parking outside the gates or your about flush with your drive. (yesterday the problem was we cudnt even get fully on the drive), anyway , after asking him to drop the vehicle down some , and waiting 25 mins for him to do this due to watchin football he dropped it down just enough to get a car full on (about 1m). Needless to say the next morning, my gfs ka which was parked at the top of the drive has a dirty key mark right across the boot that has cracked away all the laquer meaning it certainly wont spray but worst off waters probably going to seem behind it and pull at it making it look terrible.

Seems some folks in this world really are fuked up pricks, and i can tell its put me in the worst of moods for the day, Seems you cannot have anything nice.

Im looking at installing some form of camera system, ideally though i could do with having it connected onto the pc as opposed to the tv as it will be easier for me to record everything that goes on through the night. It would be even more ideal for them to be wireless to save the hassle of the long route of cable that would need to be taken.

Any advice on the above systems would be appreciated, hopefully pod puts me and the mrs in a better mood.
    I got an Electrical Wholesaler Shop which we sell alot of CCTV equipment out of now as long as you put signs up saying your recording your not doing anything wrong on a shared drive/ access way....now the kit i would recommend is the same i have to all my mates with a decent car or who ever wants to protect there drive/back garden. Its a plug and play system so you need no technical skill really its got a PIR built into the bottom of the camera so it will chime in the house when someone is moving about in its area, also it will automatically start/stop your VCR recorder so you can have recorded images when the PIR is activated, it wlll time and date stamp the recording so its provable evidance to the police, its got built in Infra Red so it sees in the dark and there is 2-way audio so you can shout at the scumbags through the camerea or here what there saying

http://www.espuk.com/pdfs/Witness3_Cat.pdf

The item is on page 7 of this link

Now if you or anyone are intrested i sell these out at £100+VAT which is a very good price for all those feautres......alternativly give me a P.M as i was a security installer for many years if you need any other advice.....

Ian

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

sounds good, i may be interested in that kit when ive got sum money.

Post Thanks / Like

For anyone interested, I have added IanMMs company to the Contacts page, with a nice little discount for RTOC members.

Ta for that Ian

Post Thanks / Like

defiantly sounds interesting. The thing is my house is on a main road with lots of houses overlooking it, and people are in and out all day due to running a taxi business's. Its for this reason i don't think anybody would actually dare do anything such as kick or smash a a window on a car etc. However they are happy to walk past with a key as its discreet. Do you think simply covering the cars every night (carcovers) would help deter?

Im interested in the system you have to offer mate, i can see what people mean with regards to them playing up to the system. It appears i may need to havea long think about it.

Thanks folks.

Post Thanks / Like

I may be wrong here so please correct me, these cameras that are videoing public footways only help the police to convict the crims when used as a leverage for confession under caution in an interview arent they?

Dawn you mentioned about a court case, was the video shown in court do you know? I am very interested in this as a friends next door neighbour has a lot of trouble with a particular person and she was told by the PCSO and PC of the neighbourhood that she couldnt install her own security system as it wouldnt be lawful, so they installed a system for a set period of time.

Post Thanks / Like

As far as I know, yes, the people were caught and convicted, I know that much.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by D4WNO View Post
    As far as I know, yes, the people were caught and convicted, I know that much.
    cheers Dawn i'll let her know!

Post Thanks / Like

just to point out.. im sure i put this in general chat :S, has it been moved to technical, no issues with that.. just dont want yelling at for putting it here... it was early though so i may have.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Hebden View Post
    I may be wrong here so please correct me, these cameras that are videoing public footways only help the police to convict the crims when used as a leverage for confession under caution in an interview arent they?

Dawn you mentioned about a court case, was the video shown in court do you know? I am very interested in this as a friends next door neighbour has a lot of trouble with a particular person and she was told by the PCSO and PC of the neighbourhood that she couldnt install her own security system as it wouldnt be lawful, so they installed a system for a set period of time.

In my experience with dealing with the police and CCTV Equipment when the "crims" are shown CCTV evidence proving what him or her has been accused of they 99 times out of a 100 confess as its irrefutable evidence and if it did go to court and there saying im "not guilty" and the CCTV evidence is sooo blatent they would be looking at a bigger sentence/fine so its alwys in there best intrest to come clean

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Hebden View Post

you can install anything on your own property/land as long as its not pointing over there garden blatantly invading there privacy.... you can mask cameras feild of veiws to stop them looking into/over sensitive areas

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by D4WNO View Post
    For anyone interested, I have added IanMMs company to the Contacts page, with a nice little discount for RTOC members.

Ta for that Ian

No Problem

Post Thanks / Like

Ah ok, so it is used for a confession in the first place but can be shown in a court if the numpty decides to ride the system?! Thank you!

edit: sorry for the hijack!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I work for a CCTV company and my advice would be this. Buy a generic evidence pack that contains the appropriate signs to put on your house. The evidence will then be usable in court. Buy an ACTI or AXIS IP camera that takes your fancy. These are serious bits of kit but well worth the money. They also come with software to put on your PC to turn it into a network digital video recorder. I would buy a USB HDD and chuck all recordings on that. If you want even more AXIS do a camera that has a PIR built in, a white light that illuminates when the PIR is triggered and then will play and pre recorded message to whoever is on your land, something like "This video is already being uploaded to a central control room please leave the property immediately." No offence to anyone here but every time we use cheap kit at work it is crap, this solution may be more expensive but might save you money in the long run.

Post Thanks / Like

Its all about how much you want to pay in my experince.....a camera and a signage deters 90% now if money is no object yes go for a digital HD system but i havent met anyone yet who wants to spend £500-£1000 min to protect there drive/car/backgarden

Post Thanks / Like

pretty sure you can record anything that is in public veiw mate

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IANMM View Post
    Its all about how much you want to pay in my experince.....a camera and a signage deters 90% now if money is no object yes go for a digital HD system but i havent met anyone yet who wants to spend £500-£1000 min to protect there drive/car/backgarden
    I do see a lot of people willing to pay that and more depending on what they have in there gardens and drives of course. A lot of them have already paid a few hundred on cheaper systems too. What you say is spot on though, most people will see the sign and even a dummy camera and decide its best not. All down to budget, same as anything

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

if that was my the stepdad would of moved the van or i would have moved it. that would make me even more angry knowing that if the mini bus wasnt there then it prob wouldnt have happend!