Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Power - What route to go now??

Quote Originally Posted by Mart View Post
    Not sure about CatCams, but Kent Cams charged me ~£120 back in the day.

I think Piper was a similar price too - Sparkie should be able to confirm that, as he sent a few sticks Piper's way to be re-ground over the years.
    Piper do charge around £120 last time i had one sent away..

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, thanks all the same, but it's time to move on and up the power. I'm not looking to "out doing people" on here. Why would I?

- Like has been said a new turbo will make you feel alot more power that on stock t2 or what ever you have.
    - Why would you ?: every human wants more/better or most do.

I don't even know anyone on here and to be honest, there's always someone out there faster, minter, better, anyway.... and fair play to them. I don't quite know how you've come to this assumption....

- Theres no fast gtt engine than the one in links that i posted

- your asking how far to go b4 its a joke and re -build after rebuild is needed
    people say and you still want 250hp when peeps have said it become hard after 230hp not to lose bolts

Can I not just find the tolerances and options of tuning my engine without people telling me what I should do?[/quote]

your asking people to tell you what to do ! rather than a like a few of the tech posters in this topic have done. spend years/ time /money /sweat and shed tears. in finding what is the best, most affective way to tune with out wastin money

dont take me the wrong way am just trying to help you find what route to go now.
    ai
    Last edited by dave j gtt; 18-11-2009 at 21:41.

Post Thanks / Like

i was a newbie when it disapeared, RIP old rtoc site

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dave j gtt View Post
    - Why would you ?: every human wants more/better or most do.
    I disagree. There's a lot of people out there who also wouldn't give a flying fook what people (who they don't know) are doing with their cars.

- Theres no fast gtt engine than the one in links that i posted
    No offence, but I didn't check the link until now. You can guess why, right?

- your asking how far to go b4 its a joke and re -build after rebuild is needed
    people say and you still want 250hp when peeps have said it become hard after 230hp not to lose bolts
    From what I've gathered, the main focus is the tune with the C1J. This going to be my main priority once the engine is together.... now, while I choose the internals and the bolt on bits, don't you think it's a good idea to aim high?.... as, when it's actually running, it'll be gradually tuned and carefully taken up to a safe limit. Where this is limit is I have no idea at this stage, but at least there won't become a point where I'm regretting not choosing the bit's needed for that tune.

your asking people to tell you what to do !
    No I'm not. I'm asking for 'advice'.

rather than a like a few of the tech posters in this topic have done. spend years/ time /money /sweat and shed tears. in finding what is the best, most affective way to tune with out wastin money
    Are you suggesting that I have wasted money?

dont take me the wrong way am just trying to help you find what route to go now.
    ai
    Yeah sure, if you've got any more constuctive posts, fire away.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

It's (nearly) always interesting to read these types threads so I'm not knocking it, but I think the advice from most people would be similar to the first reply posted (which was in May!). It went something like this:

Standard piston and liners
    Standard carb (not a group A)
    Decent intecooler
    T25 or T28 turbo
    AFR gauge of some sort
    Cam (Piper 285 or CatCams 5500327 with appropriate valve springs)
    1.5bar MAP

Before you go searching for 250+bhp (and all of the associated expense and driveability problems this will bring) try the above.

Invest all your research time in learning how to tune the carb and detect knock; if you do this well then you'll have a very quick car that won't let you down (much).

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by David H View Post
    1.5bar MAP
    Thats about standard boost then

I'm sure the original postee ment to say manifold pressure

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scoff View Post
    Thats about standard boost then

I'm sure the original postee ment to say manifold pressure
    No, I made that mistake all by myself :-)

Post Thanks / Like

I still say 250hp out of a c1j is gonna bring a whole world of pain & unreliabilty. Anywhere bar a drag strip & that much power isn't gonna be useable to its full potential anyway, but each to their own & good luck with the build

Post Thanks / Like

Have to agree with Mart on this one, having had a car pushing around 220bhp as a road/drag car it takes a fair bit of doing keeping an eye on everything, I had an AFR gauge, EGT gauge, oil pressure gauge, boost gauge... you get the idea & then there's the hours of tuning the fecking carb to run the boost, had it fueling for 24psi manifold but it still started to lean out @ 6k.... It's all ok but it starts to become your life .lol. My wife, my poor, poor wife..

Still I'd do it all again though

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 5teve L View Post
    Still I'd do it all again though
    Just get a honda tho instead ste

Post Thanks / Like

I know this may upset the hardcore gtt fans but if you want that much power why not bin the c1j and do what others have done and fit something bigger with a better flowing head, no 25mm restrictor and no weak valve train. Even the trusty valver motor at pony boost will make what power you want with a lot more reliability.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by David H View Post
    It's (nearly) always interesting to read these types threads so I'm not knocking it, but I think the advice from most people would be similar to the first reply posted (which was in May!). It went something like this:

Standard piston and liners
    Standard carb (not a group A)
    Decent intecooler
    T25 or T28 turbo
    AFR gauge of some sort
    Cam (Piper 285 or CatCams 5500327 with appropriate valve springs)
    1.5bar MAP

Before you go searching for 250+bhp (and all of the associated expense and driveability problems this will bring) try the above.

Invest all your research time in learning how to tune the carb and detect knock; if you do this well then you'll have a very quick car that won't let you down (much).

david and my next task is to try and learn to art of: how to tune the carb and detect knock i'll be right....

also with mart's above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rob@Backyardracing View Post
    Just get a honda tho instead ste

Yeah Rob, for sure, something else with liners to crack , these T16 engines in the Rover are pony for getting power out of on the cheap....

Post Thanks / Like

I still say 250hp out of a c1j is gonna bring a whole world of pain & unreliabilty. Anywhere bar a drag strip & that much power isn't gonna be useable to its full potential anyway, but each to their own & good luck with the build
    I'm just setting down the foundations for big power at the moment.... if the tune is good, who knows where I'll get, but I either way, I don't intend to push beyond the limit.

Any volunteers for drilling my jets once it's running? I'll make sure your time is worth while.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Big Supes View Post
    I'm just setting down the foundations for big power at the moment.... if the tune is good, who knows where I'll get, but I either way, I don't intend to push beyond the limit.

Any volunteers for drilling my jets once it's running? I'll make sure your time is worth while.

go for 200bhp an just give it death !!

anymore an you will hit some niggly issues..like POP !!!

more would be ok i think if you doing the 1/4 mile but for
    general use an abuse it will not last to long with out problems.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 5teve L View Post
    Yeah Rob, for sure, something else with liners to crack , these T16 engines in the Rover are pony for getting power out of on the cheap....
    There stronger than most peeps think the stock honda sleeves, a good few peeps making big HP with stock sleeves... We had to break ours simiply to find our limits

Post Thanks / Like

I dont mind lending a hand providing you have wide band, if I were you I would take the carb body to a local engineering firm and have the second stage bush machined out to accept an a.c jet.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rs250nut View Post
    I dont mind lending a hand providing you have wide band, if I were you I would take the carb body to a local engineering firm and have the second stage bush machined out to accept an a.c jet.
    Thanks mate, appreciated. A wide band will be definitely be fitted when the tuning starts.

I'm going to keep an eye out for a second hand standard carb. When I get one, could you recommend me someone to do that?

Quote Originally Posted by J$£5GTT View Post
    go for 200bhp an just give it death !!
    It couldn't have been much less (if at all) on the previous set up. Not that I am complaining.

anymore an you will hit some niggly issues..like POP !!!

more would be ok i think if you doing the 1/4 mile but for
    general use an abuse it will not last to long with out problems.

Yeah, I'm certainly going to take extra care with taking the power up.... regarding general use and abuse... I tend to drive like an old man 80% of the time and the other 20% is just general grins and p!sssing off the big guns who pull up next to me in their Type R's/BMW's. It's especially pleasing when they have their girlfriends in the car.

Post Thanks / Like

Just got off the phone to a J.E piston supplier and they want to know what spec I would need the forged pistons (as they're apparently custom)? He also mentioned that the standard compression (7.9 to 1) was too low?

I'm sending them one of my old pistons as a sample, but to be clear, all I want is standard compression, bore size and valve seats?

Cheers

Committee, NW Regional Rep Alex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

7.9:1 is standard.......

Post Thanks / Like

Just got off the phone to a J.E piston supplier and they want to know what spec I would need the forged pistons (as they're apparently custom)? He also mentioned that the standard compression (7.9 to 1) was too low?

I'm sending them one of my old pistons as a sample, but to be clear, all I want is standard compression, bore size and valve seats?

Cheers
    Thats standard compression mate, as you say send him a standard piston and ask for it to be copied.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep.

He mentioned this standard compression was too low and that if these pistons were going in his engine he would up the compression.

Just wanted to run this through you guys....

Post Thanks / Like

Well I personally wouldn't be doing that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Markey Mark (BD) View Post
    Thats standard compression mate, as you say send him a standard piston and ask for it to be copied.
    Cool... will do. Just wasn't sure why he thought the standard compression was too low.

Cheers.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    Yeah, I thought it was a bit strange. The head gasket is going be under enough strain as it is.

Post Thanks / Like

I would!

Post Thanks / Like

I'd probably go for flat topped pistons decked to the same height as the liners and sort the CR out in the head. But it's your engine and you need to do what you think is best.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I thought it was a bit strange. The head gasket is going be under enough strain as it is.
    Not strange at all, my engine that done the 12.3 quarter mile was running 8:1.1, did the time at 20psi but ran it at 24psi for the rest of the day.

Post Thanks / Like

But, wouldn't that time be factored by many other variables aswell, such as: suspension, wheels, tires, weather, driver.... ?

You could argue that it would/could have run that time with the standard compression.

Either way, I wasn't really commenting on performance... I was more concerned with reliability (HG failure).

Post Thanks / Like

Not saying the raised compression was the only reason for my time, just pointing out that its not nessecially a bad thing running slightly higher compression ratio and doesn't always lead to HG failure.

Post Thanks / Like

Point taken.

Do you still run that compression ratio now Mark? What made you change in the first place if you don't mind me asking?

Post Thanks / Like

No reason why the HG should fail if everything else is in order.

If I was to rebuild another c1j engine again, I'd be going higher c/r for sure.

Post Thanks / Like

What reasons would lead you to up'ing the compression ratio Mart?

Post Thanks / Like

Point taken.

Do you still run that compression ratio now Mark? What made you change in the first place if you don't mind me asking?
    I've now sold that engine on as i have a Volvo lump in my red 5, but have now got a gt lump in a campus and may raise the compression abit on that next year if it comes apart.

It was back in 2005 i had it done, can't rerally remember why i had it done Would do it again though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Markey Mark (BD) View Post
    I've now sold that engine on as i have a Volvo lump in my red 5, but have now got a gt lump in a campus and may raise the compression abit on that next year if it comes apart.

It was back in 2005 i had it done, can't rerally remember why i had it done Would do it again though.
    I'd be tempted by an engine conversion, but I'm fond of the little C1J.... to the point I'm keeping the original exhaust manifold to keep that signature GTT sound.

I'll have a good read and talk to a few peeps about this... just need to understand all the implications around do it.

Post Thanks / Like

What reasons would lead you to up'ing the compression ratio Mart?
    Improved drive-ability, better fuel consumption, torque/hp gain.

Post Thanks / Like

I suppose it would help with lag aswell.

Going to look into this.... thanks for the opinions guys.

Post Thanks / Like

defo raise the comp, got 3 r5gtts here all on higher comp, 1 c1j running carb, another cj1 runnin efi and my f4r turbo and defo say over the std or low comp its alot better drive

Post Thanks / Like

I'd be tempted by an engine conversion, but I'm fond of the little C1J.... to the point I'm keeping the original exhaust manifold to keep that signature GTT sound.

Mostly everyone on here run the oe ex manifold, theres no major gain on any other design over standard

Post Thanks / Like

That's good to know GttNutter.

I was going to look into sanding out any roughness in the casting/joins instead of replacing it for a tubular mani - improve the flow while keeping the sound.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by steveR5GTT View Post
    defo raise the comp, got 3 r5gtts here all on higher comp, 1 c1j running carb, another cj1 runnin efi and my f4r turbo and defo say over the std or low comp its alot better drive
    Nice... what C.R are they running?

Woohoo.... my 400th post.

Post Thanks / Like

As said compression will give you power/torq and higher comp isnt a problem aslong as its managed correctly. Id build your engine to what you intend to use it for, Id also look in to the piston tapper, yet again depending on your tune...

Post Thanks / Like

As said compression will give you power/torq and higher comp isnt a problem aslong as its managed correctly.
    Would this differ from a normal engine? Honest question.

Id build your engine to what you intend to use it for, Id also look in to the piston tapper, yet again depending on your tune...
    TBH Rob, I'm fairly confident in putting the engine together and getting it running, but I'm fairly inexperienced when deciding on compression ratios/dished/flat topped/oval pistons/piston tapper etc....

My intention with the engine is for the odd Santa Pod run/track day, but other than that, I want to have a solid, powerful lump under the bonnet.

Post Thanks / Like

Depends what you mean by differ?

Raisng the compression is bascily what a turbo is doing, but by shifting the base raito say from 7.1 - 8.1 via pistons/head or what ever, your closer to the det threshold with the same amount of boost pressure, therefore closer for det to occur. If you can control the fueling/ign your fine as said. Also rasing the compression will increase low/mid range torq too so extra torq at given rpm = extra power aswell.

I spend most of my time building drag engines and torq IMO i dont want alot of (of course to a degree or i wouldnt move ....other peeps mite disagree) i like to control and limit this to save on breakages but increase the rpm/flow best i can. With my engines id chose a greater tapper and Piston to wall clearance (due to the cyl heat id make) for room for expansion without seizure or bore scoring. A forge will control heat better than cast to bare in mind. But too large and the heat within a piston can not conduct away to the bores so choose wisely.. hence choose a piston to your tune...

Post Thanks / Like

No reason why the HG should fail if everything else is in order.

If I was to rebuild another c1j engine again, I'd be going higher c/r for sure.
    But wouldn't raising the boost (for example) a couple of PSI gain any HP/torque advantage that gave back? Plus you'd be less likely to incur det?

PS... It's funny isn't it - a while back a lot of people were going low comp as that was (at least in some eyes) the way to go. Now people are going high comp!

Post Thanks / Like

But wouldn't raising the boost (for example) a couple of PSI gain any HP/torque advantage that gave back? Plus you'd be less likely to incur det?

PS... It's funny isn't it - a while back a lot of people were going low comp as that was (at least in some eyes) the way to go. Now people are going high comp!
    What next alex?

Post Thanks / Like

Depends what you mean by differ?

Raisng the compression is bascily what a turbo is doing, but by shifting the base raito say from 7.1 - 8.1 via pistons/head or what ever, your closer to the det threshold with the same amount of boost pressure, therefore closer for det to occur. If you can control the fueling/ign your fine as said. Also rasing the compression will increase low/mid range torq too so extra torq at given rpm = extra power aswell.
    This is pretty much what I mean by differ - by being closer to the det threshold with the same amount of boost etc. It's just certain things that'll have to be taken into account when tuning.

I spend most of my time building drag engines and torq IMO i dont want alot of (of course to a degree or i wouldnt move ....other peeps mite disagree) i like to control and limit this to save on breakages but increase the rpm/flow best i can. With my engines id chose a greater tapper and Piston to wall clearance (due to the cyl heat id make) for room for expansion without seizure or bore scoring. A forge will control heat better than cast to bare in mind. But too large and the heat within a piston can not conduct away to the bores so choose wisely.. hence choose a piston to your tune...
    Sorry to be a flid, but what do you mean by a greater tapper? Also, do you think the standard piston to wall clearance would be ok to run 230+ everyday?

Regarding the heat issues.... I'll be running a bigger rad and a separate oil cooler on a thermostat.... all this being said, the car won't be held wide open for long periods in the higher gears (unless it's doing it's rare Santa Pod run).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JRP View Post
    What next alex?
    Replacing the engine with a good one one, surely!

Post Thanks / Like

Replacing the engine with a good one one, surely!

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure if that last comment was aimed at me, but I've never been a fan of low(er) c/r & have never advised it on here or to anyone running a c1j.

To a degree o.e c/r is fine, but a higher c/r will always give you improved (off-boost) drive-ability, and naturally more power overall. Of course, that's offset by the fact that, as you rightly say, the detonation threshold point is now lower, but that's nothing that can't be sorted by tweaking the ignition and/or adding a bit more 'on-boost' fuel, running water injection, or even better, running a full efi setup.

For drag applications, where boost is king, it's probably not worth running a high c/r, possibly with the exception of having efi in situ, but for track & everyday road-use, I'd recommend a higher c/r everytime.