Post Thanks / Like

How to move a car with no tax or MOT ?

I'm hoping to buy a car in the next week or two but it has no tax or MOT & is a fair distance away, can i book it in for an MOT & drive the car from the place of purchase to the MOT station legally ??

Steve

Committee, Shop Manager, SE Regional Rep Bigfoot's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to move a car with no tax or MOT ?

Had this conversation a while back, somebody said as long as you can do the journey in one go, eg do not stop for petrol or break you can legally do that. However I wouldn't advise with the amount of police on the road and the technology to pick up untaxed/unMOT'd cars.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, you can legally drive to a pre-booked mot and home with no mot and tax, and i believe to a place of repair and back as well, i recently got pulled on the way back from an MOT and had my car impounded for driving without tax when i was on my way home from a pre-booked MOT, the guy insisted what i was doing was illigal, it has since then been sorted but im still trying to get my money back (500 odd quid) for impound charge and flat bed to get it home!

it says on the back of a failed MOT certificate that you can, so long as its pre-booked and your driving strait there (or back) and your insured its perfectly legal!

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

just to add, after the MOT has been done you have 24 hours to get it home (from the time wrote on the MOT certificate) to get it home legally without tax, after that time you would need to flat bed it (or if it passed) get tax! hope that all helps!

Post Thanks / Like

It's up to who pulls you
    And ....how your insurers view it if there were to be any ' EVENT' in the process .
    Not worth the risk if you live in London and have a MOT booked in Dundee
    Get it collected

Non-member Penfold aka The Dealer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by UKG grant View Post
    just to add, after the MOT has been done you have 24 hours to get it home (from the time wrote on the MOT certificate) to get it home legally without tax, after that time you would need to flat bed it (or if it passed) get tax! hope that all helps!
    I think you can also drive the car to a place to get repairs made.... The wording n the mot cert and DVLA/DSA website's all contradict each other and are open to intereputation...

I guess it depends on the copper/dvla officer if you get caught.... If you have a accident i am sure your insurance company will also try and waggle out of paying out to...

Post Thanks / Like

I said that already

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, ok, so prob not worth the hassle to drive from Exeter to Sussex then, bugger

Post Thanks / Like

Be Careful! I rang the police about this a few monts ago. If the car is not road legal (tax and MOT) then your insurance could be invalid. The car that I asked about, the MOT was out by a year and the police said the only way I could get it to the garage was to trailer it. Basically it couldn't touch a public road under any circumstances.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sy5GTT View Post
    Be Careful! I rang the police about this a few monts ago. If the car is not road legal (tax and MOT) then your insurance could be invalid. The car that I asked about, the MOT was out by a year and the police said the only way I could get it to the garage was to trailer it. Basically it couldn't touch a public road under any circumstances.

Yeah, thats the jist i'm getting, not worth the hassle if A. I'm stopped & B. If something happened, trailer it is then.... can you hire them ?
    I would have tried the RAC but I know they won't take a car thats broken down without Tax or MOT IIRC...

Committee, Shop Manager, SE Regional Rep Bigfoot's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 5teve L View Post
    Yeah, thats the jist i'm getting, not worth the hassle if A. I'm stopped & B. If something happened, trailer it is then.... can you hire them ?
    I would have tried the RAC but I know they won't take a car thats broken down without Tax or MOT IIRC...
    I got the RAC to take mine back home when I purchased a car. They didn't ask about if it had T&T that was about 3 years ago though.

Post Thanks / Like

i had2 drive my old man about 150 miles 2 pick up his clio williams.... that had no tax or m.o.t, he sorted it with the insurance letting them know the situation and he booked it in for an m.o.t close 2 home. jobs a gooden legaly as far as i know that is all you have2 do.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Blick View Post
    i had2 drive my old man about 150 miles 2 pick up his clio williams.... that had no tax or m.o.t, he sorted it with the insurance letting them know the situation and he booked it in for an m.o.t close 2 home. jobs a gooden legaly as far as i know that is all you have2 do.
    Only if your drivin to the mot station on that day.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll ring the ins company i think to find out..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Misky View Post
    Only if your drivin to the mot station on that day.
    ofcourse!!! obviously he went straight there on the way back and didnt take it home 1st, and ofcourse he didnt know the bloke at the m.o.t station that would of covered for him if he go stopped.

just an example! thats what he didnt do.

Post Thanks / Like

i did this once, traveled 100 mile to buy (which is still the cheapest car ive brought) a mint 1 lady ownder, whose son was a manager at vauxhall dealer, a mk2 astra 10month mot few days tax, got it half way round the road, relised it was worse than id epected with oil from the breather going in the carb, rung rac and they took me home!!

think thats the safest way. and not worth the crushed car and fines all for a dash home iwith no t&t

Post Thanks / Like

Just rung my ins company & they said yes, as long as it's booked for an MOT it's fine.

Post Thanks / Like

Just spoke to my misses who works in the dvla. As it happens when you phone them and they dont know the answer they phone my misses and she tells them the score. Anyway get this. The car has to have Tax even if you are taking it for an mot. So i explaine that how can it have tax as the mot run out so now it cant be tax. Anyway she then told me.. I dont know?? What im saying is even the experts are not sure on it. It's a joke!

Also the rozzers aint got a clue when it comes to this sort of thing so no doubt they will book you big time.As has been said some will say no probs on your way and some will go way over the top. My luck would be over the top.

You got to remember also to get the peoples names who you talk to. For example your insurance. If something does happen and you say " Well you said it was ok" and thay said no we didn't your up $hit creek.

Have i gone on to much?

Post Thanks / Like

I bought my 5 with no tax and mot from Bournemouth (yes Tim its nice there!). I blagged a trailer from a friend and a car with a tow bar. I wouldn't risk it myself, could try blagging the AA / RAC etc but if they catch on what do you do if you have no back up.......

Plus if the car has no MOT and Tax how long has it been off the road, just cause the guy said it drives, you might get there and its buggered.......all manor of reasons......

Post Thanks / Like

If it's buggered I'll call the RAC

If my ins company say yes you can drive it to an MOT station I'll damn well make sure I have documents to prove this !!

It's worth the risk IMO if i have proof in my hand, also the MOT booking.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Driving Untaxed Vehicle to MOT Test

Can I Drive an Untaxed Vehicle to an MOT Test?

The short answer is yes but there are rules. You can drive your vehicle to and from a pre-arranged test at an MOT test station if you have insurance cover in place for the use of that vehicle.
    This also applies to vehicles being driven to and from a prearranged test at a Vehicle Inspection Check (VIC) test station, an approved weight testing station and reduced pollution test.