Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mini Gt turbo - Marky mark & Gttnutter

Quote Originally Posted by Markey Mark (BD) View Post
    This weekends progress, it drove for the first time!!!!

Spent most of the day sorting the odd few jobs like fiting actuator, rad hose's, throttle cable, switch panel and a few other bits. Got it idling nice so they thought lets see if she moves

It moved but we found a few probs, first is whoever fitted the gearstick didn't line it up right so couldn't get reverse, also clutch feels wierd so that will need attention too, expected that one considering we attached 2 cables together to get it to work.

Main thing is it moved under its own power so almost there now, just a few more bits to fit and adjustments then its off to the rollers, hopefully in about 2 weeks time.

Here's a few pic's of how it looks now, think either Paul or Rich have a video of it moving too somewhere.
    .................................................. .................................................. ..................................

I will change the format of the vid when i get 10 mins and put it on youtube for all to see the mircle !

I have to say its nice to see all are hard work pay off, she dose look good and its sounds mad !!!

Although the wirring is the best bit about the car thing !!! , i would say that about my welding to but it hasn't been tested yet !!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TNT!hammond View Post
    slight worry mark...... i can see the floor through the pan ? power and speed holes , possibly not the best idea? lmao .

looking good mate you know im only pulling ya leg, should be a giggle that
    I did notice those too!

Now we got it running we can spend abit of time finishing the little bits off and give it its coat of paint, looks abit patchy at the minute.

Post Thanks / Like

Bit of an undate this weekend, it had its frist run at Pod this weekend and it threw up and nice little suprise.

Ever since we bought it the front end has always worried me about being so light, we tried to weight it down as much as we could with all the bits fitted to it but found out up the strip that it wasn't enough.
    While accelerating hard off the line the car took off like a rocket, at 15psi it pulled as hard as my old 5 at 22psi. Getting high it the rev's the front end went light and the car started drifting, backed off straighteneded it out then tried again, same thing again did it 3 times on the way up. Seems the acceleration when boost kicks in is lifting the front just enough to loose traction on the front wheels.

Going to have alook at weigting the front down now and tweek a few other things then go back for another go, got to say if it did hold straight it really did feel like the car could of been into the 12's on its first outing but saying it is one thing i'd much rather get out there and prove it

East Midlands Regional Rep Os8472's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Awesome work dude, chuck a chunk of concrete up front, that should do it

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Os8472 View Post
    Awesome work dude, chuck a chunk of concrete up front, that should do it
    I'm thinking of some gym weights on a bar, easy to add or remove to see if it works

Post Thanks / Like

I'm thinking of some gym weights on a bar, easy to add or remove to see if it works
    Good idea, you could chop a bar down and weld it in sitting up right then you can drop the weights down in a position that even under hard cornering the weight won't move around

Post Thanks / Like

Prob try it like that to see how much weight is needed in the front then once sorted fit a perminent weight weighting the same.

Post Thanks / Like

Prob try it like that to see how much weight is needed in the front then once sorted fit a perminent weight weighting the same.
    Cool beans, will this mad beast be gracing mallory park at national day?

Post Thanks / Like

I'll prob bring it along for people to see but it won't be going round the track, even with the weights i the front its not really a track car just pure sprint.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll prob bring it along for people to see but it won't be going round the track, even with the weights i the front its not really a track car just pure sprint.
    You'll give a blast at some point, you know you can't resist it

Post Thanks / Like

Well done chaps, regarding the weight over the front id leave that out seems a backwards idea to me, your going to end up back to GT weight.... I thing you should get some pizza cutters on there (wheelie bars).. Thats if its just a drag car of course...

When i was down at HKS last month i seen a nice wheelie by a chap in the Street class, was awsome to see...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ej5Y4...eature=related

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rob@Backyardracing View Post
    Well done chaps, regarding the weight over the front id leave that out seems a backwards idea to me, your going to end up back to GT weight.... I thing you should get some pizza cutters on there (wheelie bars).. Thats if its just a drag car of course...

When i was down at HKS last month i seen a nice wheelie by a chap in the Street class, was awsome to see...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ej5Y4...eature=related
    Thats some wheelie from that MR2 there

I see where your coming from mate and may try it, thing is the front feels very light all the time so i'm think abit of extra weight will give me some control back of the steering so i can at least correct the torque steer abit more.
    Being rear engined too i don't want to stop the squat too much as this in theory does help with traction pushing the power onto the rear wheels.

Think its going to be abit of trial and error now to put the power down, i'll be popping back to pod soon poss on the sit night racing to give it another go.

Post Thanks / Like

are there any clips of you launching? I find it hard to believe that you can lift the front once you're under way.

You could look at lowering the CofG, can you get the seat any lower?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Cooke View Post
    are there any clips of you launching? I find it hard to believe that you can lift the front once you're under way.

You could look at lowering the CofG, can you get the seat any lower?
    No clips of it mate sorry.

Its not so much lifting the car just you can feel it go very light on the front and what it feels like it the car is deciding where it wants to go when accelerating, when i backed off and corrected it it was all ok untill i put the power back down.

Seat is as low as it can go, maybe an idea could be to lower the car down abit more.

I will say i was using my MT 20" wheels so wonder if this was adding to the problem.

Post Thanks / Like

I think your problem may be at the back, maybe bump steer, or toe? If you get one wheel spinning the car will start to yaw. Just a guess, I wasn't there, and wasn't driving obviously. Imagine torque steer, but without the possibility to correct it.

Might be worth having a word with Scoff about his rear engined 5.

Post Thanks / Like

I think your problem may be at the back, maybe bump steer, or toe? If you get one wheel spinning the car will start to yaw. Just a guess, I wasn't there, and wasn't driving obviously. Imagine torque steer, but without the possibility to correct it.

Might be worth having a word with Scoff about his rear engined 5.
    I think you may have an idea there mate, got to say it did feel alot like torque steer and only real way to correct it was to back off.

I was having alittle chat with Haz about it on the weekend and did mention a few issues Scoff had with the rear engine one so will give him a message.

Post Thanks / Like

what was your 60ft?

Post Thanks / Like

what was your 60ft?
    To be honest i have no idea, it was such a crap run i didn't bother getting the ticket at the time but now wish i did.

Post Thanks / Like

some rough numbers... a 1.8sec start will be pulling abut 1g, given a 80" wheelbase, and 20" CofG (it's probably lower than that) 25% of the total vehicle mass will be transferred in a start, so if the car with you in it weighed 600Kg, and the front end weighed more than 150Kg (including you) the front won't come up (well maybe a snatch). You can tweek those numbers to be more sensible for your situation.

Post Thanks / Like

Woooooooooo you sure you can run the MTs on the rear???? that may be the issue? dont think you can run these on the rear, you need a drag trye designed for the rear not front MT20 is made for fwd drags (correct if im wrong)... As cook says this may be making the rear so unstable on power and makes you feel the steering is wrong.. Mite be worthing running a decent road tyre till you make some traps and good control....

Post Thanks / Like

I'd say it felt like any normal lauch for me Andy which is normally around the 1.8 - 2.0 60ft, did feel like it hooked up so should of been around that.

I was intending to use some Yoko A032 tyres Rob which i've had for a while but i found one had a buckled wheel the day before so couldn't really use them. I'll give those ago next time, i do rememeber someone mentioning about FWD and RWD drad tyre's before now you mention it, be honest never gave it a thought.

Post Thanks / Like

It was me on a PM many moons ago.... im sure scoff tho can shed some light as he had trouble over 60mph with MTs on the rear...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rob@Backyardracing View Post
    It was me on a PM many moons ago.... im sure scoff tho can shed some light as he had trouble over 60mph with MTs on the rear...
    Yes it was mate, shows my memory

I got to say this sounds like a familiar fault that scoff has run into, one thing i do remember is the trap of my run as i couldn't really power passed 70mph, trap was 69mph when i finally crossed the line.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Os8472 View Post
    Good idea, you could chop a bar down and weld it in sitting up right then you can drop the weights down in a position that even under hard cornering the weight won't move around

Mark if your going down the route you better let me weld it in !!!!!!!!

or better still we could weld a seat to the front and get some mad fat man to sit in it, Mad Max Style !!!!!!