Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: GTA project engine

Quote Originally Posted by clee View Post
    Dropped the flywheel off down Leicester for machining and get home to find this on the doorstep
    Shown next to std GTA
    Attachment 6841

That should do it

Post Thanks / Like

Cool project like the engine build good stuff

Post Thanks / Like

Cheers Dave

Big boy fitted and adjustable 1:1 fuel reg .
    Just need to chase up the skimming of the fly and it's back in .Martin has organised a RR day on the 6th for some testing .A few Alp lads are turning up to play so I hope to impress
    Name:  image4-1.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  74.4 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Finally got the fly back after skimming .The fly retaining bolts are a bit tight for clearance relative to the new paddle .The spring retaining plate is pressed and the upstands only narrowly miss .Rebate the heads 1.5mm with a full rad so no stress raisers and grind off the offending edges that " might " foul when worn a bit .
    Hopefully all back together by Monday then I can release some others and get some space back .
    Name:  image6.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  67.4 KBName:  image9.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  36.1 KBName:  image7.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  69.1 KB

Post Thanks / Like

very nice! I can feel the boost going up until the piston lands go pop

Post Thanks / Like

..... cut and weld Big Jim downpipe .
    The new turbo turbine housing's sits higher than a Garrett .63 so the silencer hits the rocker cover now
    All chopped and tacked ,should be done tomorrow then just waiting on a date for mapping next week .

Post Thanks / Like

Sorted innit Big Jim is even bigger
    I'm debating where to cut it off but I kinda like it as it is

Also decided on the charge cooler rad setup .Will put the big rad in the bonnet and plumb it in series with the now redundant heater matrix . Fan to cool but I could
    put a scoop in the bonnet if it needed it . Bonus is I will now have some heat back in the cabin for the colder days

Post Thanks / Like

I'd cut that back fella, I might need to take a leak at national day after a few scoops, and looking around for a likely receptor.

Post Thanks / Like

That's why I'm gonna fit one of these

Post Thanks / Like

That's why I'm gonna fit one of these

very cool!!!
    yeah id cut it back on an angle...slash cut stylee ftw!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Aiiii ....OCC Baloney Cut FTW
    But before that
    Mr Scoff ! Mr Clee will see you now

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

big kid

we'll see what we can do one day next week lee.

Post Thanks / Like

Lol ... just looking at your pic, is that some flame decal you have stuck on the back there??

ha-ha+ idiot... must be the tea, just realised it's your number plate! Does kinda look like some BBQ warning thingy... must remember eat more veggies...

Post Thanks / Like

Charge cooler in and plumbed , not 100% exactly where it will end up so just lightly secured for now until I decide where and what bonnet scooping . Heat shielding done .Big turbo and injectors in with new plugs and all ready for tune
    Not sure about the pipe , it might just get cut off @ 90 .

Name:  image4-3.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  57.9 KBName:  image1-5.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  71.7 KBName:  image3-2.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  65.7 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Issues today when mapping ...
    The waste gate is not big enough
    I need to make up a spacer plate to give the penny arm somewhere to go that doesn't then restrict the divorced pipe :roll:
    Mapped it up to about 20 psi but it just kept creeping and showed no sign of stopping ,hitting nearly 2 bar
    It needs the hole opening up on the turbine housing and a flow path creating in the spacer around the penny arm .Either that or I will have to put a remote wastegate unit on .This will mean putting an adapter block between the collector and the turbine housing and all new oil pipework etc .

Clutch is also an issue .It will work but only just and gets worse the hotter it gets .Need to get aout another 3 mil movement I think so will try and space the slave off a tad to give it this .Quick and easy job ,if it works ,if not it's all out and space the thrust bearing .

Other than that all seems good .The charge cooler setup seems to be doing the job and the main rad ducting has brought the temps way down and does it very quickly once back on the move .

Big thanks again to Scoff for his time and expertise and also for not ****ing me round the head when we discovered my tiny icle error that meant we chased our tails for a good hour or so Nuff said

Post Thanks / Like

It's getting there Lee. Can't wait to see what the engine is capable of.

Post Thanks / Like

Spaced out slave .Will just have to see if it's any better .If not , sleeve the slave to get more actuation .
    Just need to get the turbo machined and if that stops the creep I might just make Mallory for some light track action
    Name:  image2-5.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  72.4 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Machined out the wastegate areas .Need to finish off with grindage .
    I'm not 100% that it will cure the problem , will have to see .
    A couple of other ideas ...restrict the movement on the arm so that it does not enter the pipe on big booooost so much
    or just bin the whole divorced wastegate pipe idea and open it back up to the main downpipe to vent .

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

I think you will need that spacer as well lee. If we are making it creep at only 'low' power then it'll have even more of a job to keep boost in check at higher power.

Post Thanks / Like

I think I've confused the issue thinking about a spacer .The penny arm is fully contained within the housing so the only way to open up the path is to allow it to swing back a full 90 degrees and effectively " come out " of the wastegate housing but that would be stretching the actuator beyond all reason .This is where a spacer plate would come into it .
    I think the best option would be to restrict the arms movement so that it does not then obstruct the exit . A blob of weld would suffice behind the arm ? Paul B and I were having a closer look at it last night and he was opting to go back to a std discharge

I've just got a new 34 actuator as well as the old one was well fecked

Post Thanks / Like

Put a spacer in and mill out the whole cavity behind the penny? Looks like the most likely solution. Have you been able to increase the port through the scroll? Can also blend this in and around, normally this just has a sharp edge, radius in nicely. Looks like you have given a nice edge for gasses going past than diverting off

Post Thanks / Like

[quote=clee;170275.The penny arm is fully contained within the housing so the only way to open up the path is to allow it to swing back a full 90 degrees and effectively " come out " of the wastegate housing but that would be stretching the actuator beyond all reason .[/quote]

If you add a thick spacer plate behind the actuator arm side, you can then open out the complete divorced cavity behind it (in the old cast housing), so the gas doesn't need to turn back behind the penny again. It needs to pass it's edge, but can slow in the increased cavity space. Remove all the material behind the penny to the sealing edge of your flange and the inserted section of tube closing off the main path i.e. a big hole. Then your thick spacer plate "drilling" will collect from this entire area and cone back to the diameter of your divorced pipe. You should be able to do that in 3/4 to 1 inch without too much drama - just lots of grinding to get the shape.

The penny will still be in the flow path, but be sufficient area for the gas to expand around it. I think it should work.

The other option would be to cut some of your divorce insert out, so some gas could return via the original route, not ideal I agree.

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

The standard T3 discharge is a horrible thing, please don't refit that

Re the blob of weld business, it's academic because if the actuator is trying to push that far it means we have more boost in the manifold than the actuator wants to see. In other words if the penny gets as far as its mechanical restriction then we will see creep thereafter - problem not solved.

A spacer is the guaranteed fix even if it's only 10mm or so. Just opening the wastegate port will mean the peny isn't having to move as far off the seat though, so actually it may suffice as it is. Suck it and see ! It might let us get some kind of tune on it for now.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sucking it and the clutch tomorrow ,will let you know
    Have scanned in a gasket ( with wastegate hole ) so I can get a spacer CNC'd .Will see if it's needed

Post Thanks / Like

It's still creeping so I've now put zero preload on the new actuator and am off to test on a RR tomorrow .That way I can see what the arm is doing .......On half a hole it kept rising with no stall , on a quarter it will hold a little then rise .....The new actuator starts to move at 17psi .
    I can't get enough clear road round these parts at the minute and trying to get out of town is a nightmare due to roadworks so the RR will at least mean I can get some decent testing done ..

Clutch seems a bit better but still not good for fast shifting so that is going to require some more development .Increase the master bore seems favorite .

Post Thanks / Like

Basic low boost runs .The creep will not go away so it's either rework the wastegate and put a spacer in or go external .
    Only ran it up to 5.5k and about 1 bar .This at least will give us a starting point .
    Name:  pbrr 170810.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  46.7 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Lee, ... yes I'm doing a WAD

Going back to these two things:

https://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=15938
    https://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=17386

comp 76.3/50.6 44
    turbine 65.25/56 73

I'm not convinced that arrangement is well balanced anyway, and may be struggling because of that?? The late torque build is due to spool, fair enough with the size of turbine and the energy required to get it going, but once up and running that turbine is generating so much torque to drive that compressor we are out stripping demand in lower revs to the point the waste gate needs almost to pull most of the energy past the turbine... need some input from the turbo experts on here.. past my zone But my gut feeling is the internal penny isn't going to make it... ummm

Post Thanks / Like

Yes please ,Turbo experts
    Go back to the Pod turbo ? I think so

Post Thanks / Like

Getting a 3/4" spacer made as we speak .If that does not do the trick then back to the 60 trim one from POD and see how we go

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

As long as lag is acceptable then the fact the new turbo needs a bigger wastegate is a good sign. It isn't asking for as much energy and so the gate is now struggling to get rid of the excess. Don't go backwards by fitting the old turbo.

Post Thanks / Like

have you looked how far open the valve is at the boost you're seeing? A softer actuator spring might allow it to open more.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes that was the main reason I put it on the rr .
    The new actuator is holding 1 bar ,no pre load ,then swings open about right by the looks .
    The old one I took off starts to move at 8psi but I was getting more creep on that but that was before I opened things up .
    I will get this spacer and then post up a few pics of the wastegate ,downpipe and see what/where to remove material .

Post Thanks / Like

...or we go twin turbo... now

Post Thanks / Like

...or we go twin turbo... now
    may as well, the show season is almost over

Post Thanks / Like

Lots of grinding to do .
    I can get a huge lump out from around the arm .And open up the hole in the downpipe to the bore of the pipe as it's way off to one side .This should all give me 100% more discharge area
    Name:  image0-8.jpg
Views: 6
Size:  42.5 KBName:  image0-9.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  34.8 KBName:  image5-2.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  39.7 KB

Post Thanks / Like

how much pressure do you have to put into the actuator to get it that far open?

Post Thanks / Like

Too much It won't ever swing back that far .
    I've opened things up a lot now so if this doesn't cure it then I'm going to have to look at an external setup or different turbo .Not sure I need the spacer ...I have the hole in the downpipe divorce pipe flange opened right out to the pipe bore so can do no more .
    Name:  image0-10.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  48.3 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Too much It won't ever swing back that far
    that's where a softer actuator/reduced preload and a boost controller might help (I think your ECU does this anyway if you have the solenoid fitted)

Post Thanks / Like

Will have to see if this doesn't work .I must have 100% more volume around the arm and no step to pipe now .
    Martin was thinking about using a twin port actuator to get more travel ? Failing that then we could look at some ECU boost control but I'd rather KISS

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

looking good

Post Thanks / Like

Still creeping but better .I just can't get rid of enough gas it will hold steady for a bit longer but then just builds and builds .I daren't keep my foot in to see where it stops
    I'm going to plonk the weak actuator on .It starts to open at 7 and is maxed out at 22 moving 15mm .The new one starts at 15 and was 15mm at 30 psi which is the most my hand pump will go .

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

It's a testiment to the engine, just an annoying one

Maybe a 44mm external is in order. I don't mind coming down to do the fab if you can get hold of a gate and source the stainless etc. You'd need to borrow a mig too, my stuff is a bit big to cart around.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Chris .
    I think the whole divorced pipe idea has reached it's limits .Are we talking the same setup you suggested last time out ? Put an adapter between the collector and housing ?
    Just need to get some bits together .I can't find any takeoff adapters that big ?? 35 seems to be the largest .

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Chris .
    I think the whole divorced pipe idea has reached it's limits .Are we talking the same setup you suggested last time out ? Put an adapter between the collector and housing ?
    Just need to get some bits together .I can't find any takeoff adapters that big ?? 35 seems to be the largest .
    Is there no space in that Y pipe to take a pipe off at 45° to the wastegate ? We can weld into cast if we have to.

Post Thanks / Like

Still creeping but better .I just can't get rid of enough gas it will hold steady for a bit longer but then just builds and builds .I daren't keep my foot in to see where it stops
    I'm going to plonk the weak actuator on .It starts to open at 7 and is maxed out at 22 moving 15mm .The new one starts at 15 and was 15mm at 30 psi which is the most my hand pump will go .
    what's your target boost?

Post Thanks / Like

Y pipe ?

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

Y pipe ?
    Y pipe, connecting the branches from each bank, before turbine inlet.

Post Thanks / Like

No room in the collector .They join like so and besides the bulkhead is in the way .
    Name:  image0-11.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  54.6 KBName:  image2-7.jpg
Views: 8
Size:  62.1 KBName:  image3-4.jpg
Views: 8
Size:  47.9 KB

Target boost is mid 20's , though we want to see just how far it can be pushed . I want it for track not Pod primarily .

Post Thanks / Like

On my old setup(gta) I had an external wastegate pipe comeing off the exhaust houseing.and it worked perfect

Post Thanks / Like

ok, so at 22psi (ignoring the backpressure blowing the wastegate open) you'll go from being 7mm open to 15mm open. That ought to make a difference.....