Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

my 5 restoration

Just thought id post up a few pics of my car, which is currently undergoing a partial restoration.

The car was white with the bottom half black, i made the stupid mistake of spraying her myself two years ago, not a bad job but i look back and cant think why i had the moment of madness.

Rust was starting to show so i thought it was time for a proper respray back to original white.

so my mate and I striped her down ready for a spray, that took longer than i thought. rust on both sills, windscreen surround, under both rear window seals and verious patches in the engine bay. whilst engine was out we set too cutting out the bulk head.

2nd picture is of the new windscreen panel
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by ollie j; 28-04-2009 at 21:06.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: my 5 restoration

1: removal of bulkhead

2: rust on both sides of rear bumper mounts

3: all striped and in spray shop

4: trial fitting of intercooler, this was before it went in shop

5: welded up one side of the rear window rust, once rust was ground out hole was huge, the guy at the spray shop is magic with a welder got a perfect metal finish.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

The bodyshell and engine bay sprayed up. All removable parts are currently down the spray shop now, hopefully pick them up finished this weekend.

Trader
    GT Turbo Spares co.uk
    South East Regional Rep
    Post Thanks / Like

Looking good!

Post Thanks / Like

Cooool

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Cheers, now you know why I need two new doors, mine were rusting and dented to hell.

Post Thanks / Like

screen surround, was that a hard task for sombody to fit or not? what kinda money did you pay for all body work. pm me if you like

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JRP View Post
    screen surround, was that a hard task for sombody to fit or not? what kinda money did you pay for all body work. pm me if you like
    Can I PM you?

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

screen surround was £180 from renault, order came in the next day. I told the guy spraying it that it needed doing so i dont know how much he charged to weld in as i dont have a broken down invoice.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BriC View Post
    Can I PM you?

YEAH ohhhhhhh excitement

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

ive got a campus shell that im converting to a gt, and trying to source a 1.7 volvo turbo lump for, but i need to get the screen surround replaced on so i was thinking the same thing "screen surround, was that a hard task for sombody to fit or not? what kinda money did you pay for all body work. pm me if you like"

and i rang renault the other day and they quoted me around £70 for the windscreen panel... so maybe he gave me a wrong price. or was youre quote with them fitting it?

any help much appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tom t View Post
    ive got a campus shell that im converting to a gt, and trying to source a 1.7 volvo turbo lump for, but i need to get the screen surround replaced on so i was thinking the same thing "screen surround, was that a hard task for sombody to fit or not? what kinda money did you pay for all body work. pm me if you like"

and i rang renault the other day and they quoted me around £70 for the windscreen panel... so maybe he gave me a wrong price. or was youre quote with them fitting it?

any help much appreciated.
    I had the same work done at the same bodyshop, the full windscreen surround to buy from renault is £180. The price mine was for the bodyshop to cut and weld it in was £180 also. It was welded in just at the base of the surround on the corners where it was rotten through. For all this kind of work youre looking at 2k ish depending what else you need to replace when bits are being removed from the car.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tom t View Post
    ive got a campus shell that im converting to a gt, and trying to source a 1.7 volvo turbo lump
    Good choice

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Engines back in, and turning over, damn clifford alarm decided to imobilise itself after batterys been off for 6months, but a bit of tweeking with the wiring and we were back on track . New alloy rad went straight in, quite a tight fit for the bottom rad hose though, but all good. So far its been plain sailing, lets see how seezed the bleed nipples are on the brake calipers tomorrow, could be fun.

Post Thanks / Like

looking good mate ,what white did u use when you resprayed the car?

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Month down the line and progress has slowed down. Was hoping id be finished by the pod day but as i wasnt ive become a bit lazy.

Mocal oil cooler is now fitted along with front mount intercooler. Got two seats fitted in now thanks to mike at gt turbo spares, plus two straight doors off him as mine were beyond repair according to the dude spraying the bits.

ive smoothed my frount bumper myself and gave it to the sprayer whos made a great job finishing it. rear bumper is awaiting painting along with bonnet and doors.

arches and side skirts are all now back on.

The pic of the engine bay --- i have since routed the oilcooler line under the boost pipe run.