Post Thanks / Like

125 degrees and no fan

ok basically ive been on a long drive in traffic today, and noticed my aftermarket water temp gauge (in car dosent work) was readin 125degrees, had a quick look and the fan was on :S , what temp should the fan cut in ? and what should i ideally be checking.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 125 degrees and no fan

Quote Originally Posted by djinuk View Post
    was readin 125degrees, had a quick look and the fan was on :S , what temp should the fan cut in ? and what should i ideally be checking.
    your fan was on or off? im confussed

test the fan by connecting direct to battary and if you have electrical kowlage use a multi meter to test the rad stat. or like i did remove it and use a test light, buy having a earth to eath pin one to the light one to earth and the live direct to the light! if it works itll cause a connection inside and illuminate the bulb. or u may have buggered relay

or you could just have dirty/lose connection, check these things your be sure to find out that way,

wiring
    relay
    fan
    rad stat

in no pituculer order which ever you feel like testing first tho id check the fan first my self

Post Thanks / Like

ah sweet, sorry the fan was off, i wrote that after a very long day, 5am start .. so yea basically the car was super hot and the rad had failed to turn on, although im sure when my friend closer the car does the fan burst into life for about 1 second.

Post Thanks / Like

If the fan goes on briefly when closing the door this could be down to bad wiring.

I had a similar problem where, if I revved the engine the fan would go on and off. It turned out that where the wire attaches to the alternator with a ring connector, the wire had corroded so much that it only made a connection when the engine shifted forwards and backwards.

If you get the car up to temp then wiggle the cables around, see if it comes on then (don't put your hand too close to the fan ... that hurts )

If this doesn't work you can take the cables off the rad fan switch and force a connection to rule out a faulty switch.