Post Thanks / Like

172 Wheels

Hi,

Just thought some of you might be interested in the wheel refurb I did recently on a set of 172 alloys I bought from a friend from work, he sold the car with cup wheels and had these in his shed, they were scuffed around the edges and had a few minor dings but were straight, he sold them to me for £50 with out tyres.......bargain!

Not the best pic but the only one I can find at the mo:

I rubbed the wheels down with various grades of wet and dry to key the surface, I also used Liquid metal to fill some of the small dinks and kerbing to the rim. The wheels were then given a couple of coats of primer (my mistake using white meant more coats of the final colour but you live and learn - next time i'll use grey)

Once the primer was rubbed down with a fine wet and dry gave the first coats, the colour is Ford graphite grey:

Once totally covered inside and out they looked like this. I removed the renault badges and painted them with some black spray paint I had in the garage.

After leaving them a week to harden (you only need to leave them for 24 hours) I gave them a few coats of clear laquer, to be honest the photo is crap as it was taken on my phone and the light in my garage is poor but they looked ok.

This is where I lost interest until recently, the clear coat looked a bit orange peal and didn't give a very good shine, they have sat like this in my garage for 5 months. Last week with the nice weather and show season on my mind I decided to do something about it. After speaking to a few paint shops a friend put me in touch with a local guy who recomended two coats of 2 pack clear coat. He charged me £30 for the privilage.

This afternoon I picked them up....... what do you think?

All in i think the wheels have probably cost just over £100. Now I just need to get some tyres and get them fitted. I'm after 105/40/16's if anyone can recomend a place to get some for a good price? I'll post some more pics when there on the car.

Only thing I could pick fault with is there are dust particles in the paint if you catch them in certain lights, but i put this down to them being done in my garage and not an expensive booth, plus the place i took them to for the clear coat didn't have a booth.

Comments welcome, I've just picked a set of williams wheels up for a song too (yes i'm a wheel whore), in much need of new paint! Can anyone recommend a colour to compliment a white 5? On the cards at the mo is Gloss black with a red lip.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 172 Wheels

they look spot on mate good work

Post Thanks / Like

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

definatley looking good.

Committee member
    Rats Nest Tuning
    Post Thanks / Like

Look really good, whats the offset on them mate?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ashy View Post
    Look really good, whats the offset on them mate?
    errrr pass, they haven't been on the car yet but have seen a few 5 wearing them. Purple Rob has them on his.

Ive just checked the rim and there 7J but no ET numbers stamped anywhere

Committee member
    Rats Nest Tuning
    Post Thanks / Like

None of mine have ET numbers, all the ones I've seen are CH no's

something like this

6Jx15 CH4-43

Post Thanks / Like

bumper looks level..spot on

Post Thanks / Like

None of mine have ET numbers, all the ones I've seen are CH no's

something like this

6Jx15 CH4-43
    Oh....in that case they are 4 CH 48.5

Committee member
    Rats Nest Tuning
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by J8TRO View Post
    Oh....in that case they are 4 CH 48.5
    In that case I would try them on your car before spending any money on tyres mate. a 48.5mm offset will be no good!

Post Thanks / Like

In that case I would try them on your car before spending any money on tyres mate. a 48.5mm offset will be no good!
    How do you figure this then?

https://www.rtoc.org/files/Events/200...Meet%20011.JPG

Wouldn't I just need to use some spacers so they sit out further?

Post Thanks / Like

New poster! (less than 10 posts)

Got a set on mine too. I think im using 10mm spacers.

Committee member
    Rats Nest Tuning
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by J8TRO View Post
    How do you figure this then?

https://www.rtoc.org/files/Events/200...Meet%20011.JPG

Wouldn't I just need to use some spacers so they sit out further?
    Becasue different clio's run different offset wheels. Depends which type of 172 they are off. I know the wifes 182 runs 43mm offset the 172 cups run 38's I just bought a set of clio rims which are 43mm offset.

Like I say, at least try to fit them first. If you need spacers then that'll be fine but if they are 48mm offset you'll need at least 13mm spacers and then you will be looking for hucentrics which aren't cheap.

Just trying to help.

Ashy.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice one!! been waiting about 6 months to see you spray these lol. They are looking really nice.

Anyways spacer wise. I'm currently running with 10mm spacers. This is a minimum on the front as they will rub on the shock. I also have 195's. I would prefer 205's to give me some protection on the rim - back and front. But 205 would probably need bigger spacers.

I get a little rubbing on full lock.

The trouble with 10mm spacers is its big enough that you need extended bolts and too small to get hub centric spacers. So its always w4nk to put them on.

I'll keep an eye out for what you go for tyre wise mate as I need a new front one and might aswell replace both and refund them at the same time.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

ive got the same wheels on mine at the mo. and ive only got 5mm spacers. really could do with 10mm. would ideally like to get hubcentric ones though dont suppouse anyone has a link to any? cheers

Post Thanks / Like

Right, just bolted one to the rear of my car as you scared the **** out of me!

They sit well into the car and nearly touch the inner arch. I'm guessing they need 10mm spacers to sit out further to the outer arch.

Sorry for being thick but what are hubcentrics?

Wheels are also 7J instead of my Ph2 Clio 6.5J the Ph2's are 36 offset. im trying to find the balance to get the clio 172's in the same position.

Can people running these also let me know their off sets for piece of mind. mine as above are 48.5

Committee member
    Rats Nest Tuning
    Post Thanks / Like

if yours are 48.5 that means you need 13.5mm spacers to return the wheels to the "standard" 35mm offset.

When you fit a wheel onto the hub, front or back, you will locate the centre of the rim onto the lip of the hub, where it will sit whilst you put the bolts in. This lip also takes some of the force from the wheel rather than relying on the bolts. The lip on the hub is about 14mm long. So if you use normal spacers over 10mm the wheel will no longer locate on this lip meaning that the bolts will have to deal with all the forces without the support of this lip. Hubcentric spacers are designed so they locate onto the lip of the hub and also have a lip of their own to locate and support the wheel meaning that the bolts aren't taking all the strain. The problem is (as has allready been mentioned) there is a minimum thickness available for hubcentrics which would be around 20mm (although if you got your own machined you can get down to aroud 14mm thick).

I'm fairly sure the cheapest hubcentric spacers yout can get are around £90.00 + bolts which is why I'm machining my own!

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

not sure of my offsets but my rear wheels are close to the inner arch aswell nearly touching. how do i tell about offset?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tom t View Post
    not sure of my offsets but my rear wheels are close to the inner arch aswell nearly touching. how do i tell about offset?
    See the mail above, its cast on the wheel under the cover plate for the bolts. will say something along the lines of 7J x 16 4 CH 48.5

Post Thanks / Like

Woooooo fitted them this weekend, bolted them on with the tyres to see what I was up against, all turned ok but the inside of the rear would catch easily and the front was binding ever so slightly on the shock.

Put the 10mm spacers I had ordered from e-bay at the back of the garage to rot (Advise on here was welcomed and backed by most alloy wheel people / garages I stopped to ask). Ended up buying 5mm from Wheelmainia near town, wheels now fit a treat and dont rub at the rear, I get slight rubbing on the front on full lock, but no where near as much as the 195/50/15's I was running before. Well happy, would totally recomend 195/40/16 to make these rims work a treat.

There are some more pic's on the 5 turbo section of the boards.

Let my next project begin

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

Is it just me or does it look a bit too low at the back ?

Post Thanks / Like

It is low at the back, but tbh the one photo was taken as the car was on uneven ground and meant that wheel was even further into the arch!

I suspect the wheel / tyre combo make it look even lower. The wheel and tyre are actually smaller in diameter than my old 15's but the new tyres are like elastic bands! therefore visually a lot more of the wheel goes into the arch.