Post Thanks / Like

**HELP**

Bought a car car last saturday and all seemed well until i saw this https://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=2166

and also a sale thread from an old member here https://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=2696

Now in the first thread it mentions the guy "buys ringers and sells em on"

and in the second one the seller says the car is "hpi clear"

So why when i became worried and did an hpi check did it come back as "cat c write off in 1998 with no record of a vic test" !!!!!!!!!!

needless to say im pretty worried iv bought a duffer here which is a shame as its my very first 5gtt and runs like a dream
    Last edited by ScottGT; 16-04-2009 at 19:29.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: **HELP**

Firstly is there any evidence of a crash or repair work to the car? Did they say what type of accident its been involoved in?
    I would check over the whole car closely for any signs of a smash or repair.

Also check the chassis number ontop of the drivers side suspension strut, it should be stamped there. Check its the same as the V5 you have or even if its there, if not it may sound harse but scrap some paint off to see if its been painted/filled or ground off for any reason.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Markey Mark (BD) View Post
    Firstly is there any evidence of a crash or repair work to the car? Did they say what type of accident its been involoved in?
    I would check over the whole car closely for any signs of a smash or repair.

Also check the chassis number ontop of the drivers side suspension strut, it should be stamped there. Check its the same as the V5 you have or even if its there, if not it may sound harse but scrap some paint off to see if its been painted/filled or ground off for any reason.
    bodywork is absolutly sound as a pound mate no signs of a crash or cut/shut and minimal rust!

Im just worried im driving around in an illigal car tbh!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ScottGT View Post
    bodywork is absolutly sound as a pound mate no signs of a crash or cut/shut and minimal rust!

Im just worried im driving around in an illigal car tbh!
    Have you check underneath, chassis legs, back panel and floor? Any signs of new panels? Do you know if its been paintedin the past?

Its worth really checking it all over just to be on the safe side, as you say if you are you want to know about it

Post Thanks / Like

What about the colour of the panels behind the interiour cards? It could be a bit suspect if you've got more colours inside than Andy Cooke used to on the outside...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Markey Mark (BD) View Post
    Have you check underneath, chassis legs, back panel and floor? Any signs of new panels? Do you know if its been paintedin the past?

Its worth really checking it all over just to be on the safe side, as you say if you are you want to know about it
    unfortuantly its had a total respray but i have had it up in the air and it all seems fine its definalty a solid car so do you think the dvla just never updated the systems?

Post Thanks / Like

unfortuantly its had a total respray but i have had it up in the air and it all seems fine its definalty a solid car so do you think the dvla just never updated the systems?
    If they were never informed then they wouldn't update it so thats prob the reason why.

Check the chassis number, see if you have the original shell on the V5 to the number plate.

As Adam says also worth checking behind the panels for evidence of work or paint

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Adam L View Post
    What about the colour of the panels behind the interiour cards? It could be a bit suspect if you've got more colours inside than Andy Cooke used to on the outside...
    re fitted the back seats and panels so thats all ok on the inside but dunno about the doors would have to check!

Typicly i have found this all out while the 5 is at a garage having a rather expensive alarm fited

Non-member Penfold aka The Dealer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

If the accident was in 1998 i dont think it needed a VIC test as i think this was a modern idea... remember 1998 was 11 years ago now...

Its defo worth checking the car all over (personally i would have a decent MOT test centre go off it with a fine tooth combe. (£35-50) for a Fresh MOT these days.

Check the normal points such as chassis number, look to see if its been tampered with, If you can go along to the MOT and talk to the tester, ask them to look for any major signs of an accident & if they would mind you looking under the car for damage etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Penfold View Post
    If the accident was in 1998 i dont think it needed a VIC test as i think this was a modern idea... remember 1998 was 11 years ago now...

Its defo worth checking the car all over (personally i would have a decent MOT test centre go off it with a fine tooth combe. (£35-50) for a Fresh MOT these days.

Check the normal points such as chassis number, look to see if its been tampered with, If you can go along to the MOT and talk to the tester, ask them to look for any major signs of an accident & if they would mind you looking under the car for damage etc.
    it went through an mot last week after having "normal" r5 problems addressed ie loose exhaust wobbly seat frame etc and not being able to ring for insurence until tues day it spent sat evening all day sun and mon at my best mates garage being checked and cleaned by ourselves.

Post Thanks / Like

it went through an mot last week after having "normal" r5 problems addressed ie loose exhaust wobbly seat frame etc and not being able to ring for insurence until tues day it spent sat evening all day sun and mon at my best mates garage being checked and cleaned by ourselves.
    I take it that was a legit MOT as well... I wouldnt worry to much about the car's history... if it drives well, go through an MOT then jobs a good un...

You could always ring the DVLA and ask about the Cat C in 1998 & if it needed a VIC etc etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Ring the DVLA? Are you serious?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Adam L View Post
    Ring the DVLA? Are you serious?
    TBH they worked out pretty well for me when i have a few questions... but now days i just pop into my local DVLA office... just have to be prepared to wait sometimes.

Post Thanks / Like

When i've rang them in the past its been a nightmare, none of them know what they're doing. I've usually been asked to write to them in the end. Ah well.

Post Thanks / Like

Scott, I dont know where you're based, but if you need a hand with anything, drop me a PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Penfold View Post
    I take it that was a legit MOT as well... I wouldnt worry to much about the car's history... if it drives well, go through an MOT then jobs a good un...

You could always ring the DVLA and ask about the Cat C in 1998 & if it needed a VIC etc etc.
    I think thats what im going to have to do!
    Thankyou for your help

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Just ask DVLA if the car has a VIC marker on it if not then your good to go and you won't need a VIC inspection check.Remember that Cat C doesn't necessarly mean that the car has been crashed, just means that its been damaged excessivley enough for the insurers to declare it un-economical to repair, N.B. Paintwork could have been covered in battery acid.

Post Thanks / Like

Back in 2001 my gt was classed as a cat c due to needing a wing/bumper and head light after being knocked when parked up

Post Thanks / Like

I personally think your worrying about nothing if it drives ok & is mechanically sound

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Yep, mine got written off last Nov. All that it needed was the n/s mirror re-painting, new n/s front wheel arch bodykit ( deep scratch ) and a new front bumper ( mounting points damaged )

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brigsy View Post
    I personally think your worrying about nothing if it drives ok & is mechanically sound

Post Thanks / Like

Not if it needed a VIC test and hasn't had one. Insurance could be null and void if discovered in the event of an accident.

Post Thanks / Like

if it needed a vic test in the past & did'nt go,then there would be no logbook!! dvla keep it on hold until it has passed the test!!

so if you have the logbook you'l be fine

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nayls View Post
    if it needed a vic test in the past & did'nt go,then there would be no logbook!! dvla keep it on hold until it has passed the test!!

so if you have the logbook you'l be fine
    if that's the case then good comment.