Committee member
    Rats Nest Tuning
    Post Thanks / Like

Wheel offset, spacers, stud to nut conversions...

Hi all, I didn't want to start a number of seperate threads so thought I'd combine all my questions into one thread! Please bear with me its fairly long winded but need your opinions.

Right, bought a nice set of wheels off e-bay, it was a bit of an impulse buy but I liked them and thought what the heck. The advert was crap and the seller wasn't much help so I just bought them anyway as they were a good price.

So heres a photo of the rims on the car, current pic is the turbines, and following pic is the new wheels.

Anyway the situation is that the new wheels are a different offset to the turbines.

Turbines are 6.1/2 J 15 4CH36
    Storms are 6Jx15 CH4-43

So the storm rims are only 6" wide compared to the turbines 6.1/2 and even closer to the hub. So the question is this, if I want to run the storm wheels would it be safe to make up a set of spacer plates? I was thinking of making something similar to the design I've sketched up below. This would allow me to run nuts insted of studs and run these rims with minimal fuss. I like these rims and with them being genuine reno rims they have the reno badge centre caps and look like a genuine upgrade.

As you can see they would basically bolt up against the face of the disc with captive studs to bolt the wheel in place.

The things I would need to confirm would be
    1) would spacing these out by 12mm put too much strain on the hubs / wheel bearings?
    2) Are the bolt thread sizes M12 x 1.5?
    3) can you get reno fitment nuts (with the dished back face)?
    4) is there an easier way of doing this?

Or would it be easier to flog these rims on cliosport.net and buy something else?

Cheers for your help

Ashy.

Committee member
    Rats Nest Tuning
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wheel offset, spacers, stud to nut conversions...

The wheels are in good nick and have loads of meat left on the tyres

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

New poster! (less than 10 posts)

surely if you ran just a regular 5mm spacer that would take them from a 43 offset to a 38mm offset?

that would then negate the requirement for custom spacers as pictured?

nice wheels and nice spacer idea btw, i dont really see why it wouldnt work.

I sold a set of rims from an impreza to a 200sx owner, and they wouldnt clear the caliper due to offset. so a 5mm spacer slipped in and they fited no bother and there was still plenty of nut thread in the hub for strength

Post Thanks / Like

simplest way is to just buy some hubcentric spacers with longer bolts (if going more than 5mm-ish, at 5mm you can probably use standard bolts - check engagement).

If you really want studs I'd still fit a stud conversion, then use normal spacers.

Don't worry about your bearings, you're not going silly.

If you do make spacers make them with a 60mm shoulder for the wheel to sit on. I'd be worried that the CSK heads would fail, but I'm an electronics guy

Post Thanks / Like

btw, going from an ET43 to 36 requires a 7mm spacer to put the tyre in the same place - irrespective of rim width.

Committee member
    Rats Nest Tuning
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Cooke View Post
    btw, going from an ET43 to 36 requires a 7mm spacer to put the tyre in the same place - irrespective of rim width.
    This is the thing, i've done a good few searches on here and the old site and found that the standard offset is 35mm. So like you say i could just use 8mm spacers. But the thing is the rears look like they need more than 8mm, the gap between the tyre and the rear arch is about 20mm?

Post Thanks / Like

My 2 pennies worth marrow. I wouldn't run spacers. Dont trust them and just another link in the chain for failure. Secondly the wheels would have to be at least same width as what you have got. If you do space them out does that mean your still missing 1/2 " of surface contact from the hub centre? Might not make the slightest difference to handling, but its another payoff just for asthetics.

Not that i know owt!

Committee member
    Rats Nest Tuning
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MATT C Ringworm Tuning View Post
    My 2 pennies worth marrow. I wouldn't run spacers. Dont trust them and just another link in the chain for failure. Secondly the wheels would have to be at least same width as what you have got. If you do space them out does that mean your still missing 1/2 " of surface contact from the hub centre? Might not make the slightest difference to handling, but its another payoff just for asthetics.

Not that i know owt!
    I know what you're saying. You're right about the 1/2" of surface contact aswell. However the tyres are still 195/45/15's and i've put the two wheels flat on the floor and theres not a lot in it width wise!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ashy View Post
    This is the thing, i've done a good few searches on here and the old site and found that the standard offset is 35mm. So like you say i could just use 8mm spacers. But the thing is the rears look like they need more than 8mm, the gap between the tyre and the rear arch is about 20mm?
    tyre to the rear arch, or rim to the rear arch? It depends what's likely to rub, and where.

Committee member
    Rats Nest Tuning
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Cooke View Post
    tyre to the rear arch, or rim to the rear arch? It depends what's likely to rub, and where.
    Tyre to inside rear arch, the tyre and rim are pretty flush.

I was thinking about making my spacers hubcenric but didn't measure the drop of the rim on the hub? do you know what it is? I've a feeling its bigger than 12mm?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ashy View Post
    Tyre to inside rear arch, the tyre and rim are pretty flush.

I was thinking about making my spacers hubcenric but didn't measure the drop of the rim on the hub? do you know what it is? I've a feeling its bigger than 12mm?

not off the top of my head, would need to find some stuff to measure. I think it's under 12mm as you can buy 10mm hubcentric spacers. Could always grind a bit off

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

I think it's between 12 and 15mm. I use 10mm spacers with my drag wheels, the hub protrudes a small amount past the spacer.

Committee member
    Rats Nest Tuning
    Post Thanks / Like

Luckily I have a set of front hubs and discs and a set of rear hubs... The drop is 14.2mm. Don't want to start grinding things down realy... If i went for 10mm spacers the wheels would sit on a 4mm lip guess thats better than nothing!

Committee member
    Rats Nest Tuning
    Post Thanks / Like

Well the centre caps have turned up off e-bay, another bargin

Right now need to decide if I should sell the wheels or make some spacers!?!? What do you think?

Post Thanks / Like

I don't like them, don't know why, but I don't

Post Thanks / Like

i have a set of those caps got given to me, are they worth anything?

thy dont fit my alloys

Committee member
    Rats Nest Tuning
    Post Thanks / Like

£20.00 ish?

get them on the bay!