Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
    East Midlands Regional Rep Os8472's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Turbo Toaster

Quote Originally Posted by d110rkjste View Post
    what turbo do you have? an how did u get all the cozzy parts on it?
    Its a VNT turbo courtesy of Adam L at turbo developments, top man he is.

The cozzy fuel rail and pump were lying in a box of bits belonging to the guy who made my inlet manifold, he had to shorten the fuel to suit and adjust the factory pump bracket to fit the cozzy job, so it was easy........... for me anyway, he had no end of trouble with the rail, it kept springing leaks but its been perfect since

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

is right, i had a volvo 480 turbo engine in mine fitted it with my m8, but changed back to a r5 engine as it needed much more work. was fast though

Post Thanks / Like

is right, i had a volvo 480 turbo engine in mine fitted it with my m8, but changed back to a r5 engine as it needed much more work. was fast though
    I've heard that, but it should so much easyer to adjust the fueling cus its efi from the factory, what you done to ya C1J lump then?

Post Thanks / Like

had a vnt turbo from turbo developments on my car for a few track days, until it went pop. need to get it totally re built including turbine shaft and compressor wheel. as stated before the slender shaft isnt exactly robust and dont know if i should bother with it again. like the idea of a seperate waste gate though.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

i bought the engine fom a lad it had new pistons an tht, wacked a group a head gasket on, bigger turbo, messed round with the carb an tht, got hold of a gt tuning intercooler the cybercool 1, the lad who i bought the engine off also said bb tuning messed ound with the head, it runs sweet best engine ive had, running it on 20 psi like goes like mad even with 17s on

Post Thanks / Like

i bought the engine fom a lad it had new pistons an tht, wacked a group a head gasket on, bigger turbo, messed round with the carb an tht, got hold of a gt tuning intercooler the cybercool 1, the lad who i bought the engine off also said bb tuning messed ound with the head, it runs sweet best engine ive had, running it on 20 psi like goes like mad even with 17s on
    Have you ever had it dyno'd to see what power its making?

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

no i neet 2 get it rr soon if its 160 170 bhp ill be made up

Post Thanks / Like

no i neet 2 get it rr soon if its 160 170 bhp ill be made up
    What size is ya turbo?

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

i think a stage 2 with a bigger turbo elbow, its only slightly bigger than a t2 so maybe better internals, it holds 20 psi well though

Post Thanks / Like

i think a stage 2 with a bigger turbo elbow, its only slightly bigger than a t2 so maybe better internals, it holds 20 psi well though
    Well I got 150bhp at 17psi with my T2 so I recon you could expect anythin from 160bhp upto 175ish, porviding your setup is good of course

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

i think the only thing stopping it wil be the fueling, i have a uprated fuel pump but i aint sure if the petrol geting to the engine is too little, so might get that looked at so its perfect, but theres no problems so maybe its ok. i once had it boostin 30psi on i race see wot wud happen an it was a rocket haha

Post Thanks / Like

i think the only thing stopping it wil be the fueling, i have a uprated fuel pump but i aint sure if the petrol geting to the engine is too little, so might get that looked at so its perfect, but theres no problems so maybe its ok. i once had it boostin 30psi on i race see wot wud happen an it was a rocket haha
    Yeah don't go winding upto 30psi without adjusting the carb or it will go bang.

When it goes on the dyno make sure the block running the dyno sticks an O2 sensor up ya exhaust and keeps an eye on the fueling

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

nar 20 is well enuf til i get forge pistons, but it will be workin fine when i fix my starter so gonna jus use this yr 2 drive it an leave it alone i think.

Post Thanks / Like

nar 20 is well enuf til i get forge pistons, but it will be workin fine when i fix my starter so gonna jus use this yr 2 drive it an leave it alone i think.
    you dont need forged pistons to run more than 20psi

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RICHIE View Post
    you dont need forged pistons to run more than 20psi
    He's right, its more important to get your fueling spot on than it is 2 throw money at parts that tunners tell you, you need

Post Thanks / Like

27psi and no forged pistons, steel liners, or posh cam for that matter ....

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure why people worry about boost, it has no direct relation to how much pressure is in the cylinder. You can have a more powerfull car at only 20psi of boost that has more cylinder pressure.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scoff View Post
    I'm not sure why people worry about boost, it has no direct relation to how much pressure is in the cylinder. You can have a more powerfull car at only 20psi of boost that has more cylinder pressure.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

i agree it does depend on the setup of the car but havin them can only help the car when it gets ragged round

Post Thanks / Like

[quote=d110rkjste;45024]i agree it does depend on the setup of the car but havin them can only help the car when it gets ragged round[/quote

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

i agree it does depend on the setup of the car but havin them can only help the car when it gets ragged round

Well, no mate, don't believe the hype. There's alot of experience on here all telling you to save your money It's by far much more important to have the car setup properly. A poor tune will melt forged pistons just as quickly as standard ones.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scoff View Post
    Well, no mate, don't believe the hype. There's alot of experience on here all telling you to save your money It's by far much more important to have the car setup properly. A poor tune will melt forged pistons just as quickly as standard ones.
    Listern to this man, he knows his stuff, he's like the kung fu master of tunning

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    had a vnt turbo from turbo developments on my car for a few track days, until it went pop. need to get it totally re built including turbine shaft and compressor wheel. as stated before the slender shaft isnt exactly robust and dont know if i should bother with it again. like the idea of a seperate waste gate though.
    It'd probably be an idea to see why the turbo blew, rather than jumping onto something else that may well have the same fate...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Adam L View Post
    It'd probably be an idea to see why the turbo blew, rather than jumping onto something else that may well have the same fate...
    the bearing is completely shot and the turbine shaft has big groves were its over heated. The snap ring and sealing ring have melted completely. also the compressor wheel has contacted the housing and is also fecked. the inline filter looks nice and clear but i want to fit another oil pressure guage as the 1 on the car is a bit suspect. I think thats where the problem may lie. another thought is as it went on national day at mallory just after the long sweeping bend oil has moved away from the pickup and the turbo has been starved.
    will have to arrange a day to bring it over to you for a price on its repair

Post Thanks / Like

the bearing is completely shot and the turbine shaft has big groves were its over heated. The snap ring and sealing ring have melted completely. also the compressor wheel has contacted the housing and is also fecked. the inline filter looks nice and clear but i want to fit another oil pressure guage as the 1 on the car is a bit suspect. I think thats where the problem may lie. another thought is as it went on national day at mallory just after the long sweeping bend oil has moved away from the pickup and the turbo has been starved.
    will have to arrange a day to bring it over to you for a price on its repair
    Defo sounds like an oil problem, it didn't run low on oil did it?

Post Thanks / Like

No it was always at the maximum level but got to be some problem there as you say. As a standard turbo also went pop 3 track days later (although i was pushing it at 17-18psi)

Post Thanks / Like

No it was always at the maximum level but got to be some problem there as you say. As a standard turbo also went pop 3 track days later (although i was pushing it at 17-18psi)
    Defo get a decent oil pressure gauge plumbed in, sounds like your not gettin enough oil pressure

Has the engine been rebuilt at any point?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Os8472 View Post
    Defo get a decent oil pressure gauge plumbed in, sounds like your not gettin enough oil pressure

Has the engine been rebuilt at any point?
    yes it was re built about a year ago but didnt get a new oil pump. droped the sump about a month ago to cure an oil leak and while i was doing it i removed a main cap to check the bearings, as i thought they may be prematurely failing causing a loss of pressure but they are good as new. will fit a new pressure guage next and see what the readings are.

Post Thanks / Like

yes it was re built about a year ago but didnt get a new oil pump. droped the sump about a month ago to cure an oil leak and while i was doing it i removed a main cap to check the bearings, as i thought they may be prematurely failing causing a loss of pressure but they are good as new. will fit a new pressure guage next and see what the readings are.
    Who built it if ya don't mind asking?

Post Thanks / Like

check your getting 45 psi or more at 3500 revs get a few magnets on the bottom of that sump also.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RICHIE View Post
    check your getting 45 psi or more at 3500 revs get a few magnets on the bottom of that sump also.

^ good advice

Post Thanks / Like

^ good advice
    built the engine myself, apart from having the pistons attached to the con rods by an engineering company (didnt fancy mucking them up)will check the pressure is holding at 45psi as soon as i can get some time on it will try a couple of magnets on the sump too and see what turns up.

Committee, South East Regional Rep James5's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

built the engine myself, apart from having the pistons attached to the con rods by an engineering company (didnt fancy mucking them up)will check the pressure is holding at 45psi as soon as i can get some time on it will try a couple of magnets on the sump too and see what turns up.

I remember seeing that @ Nat day wasn't a pretty sight seeing that VNT in the condition it was 20 mins later you were back on track running a T2

Post Thanks / Like

same here, i was parked infront of it, red one wasn't it? i remember the smoke lol

Post Thanks / Like

I was behind it when it went on the track, remember seeing red 5 then it disappeared under a big cloud of smoke

Post Thanks / Like

must have been like following oli testing the EF-aiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by markey b View Post
    must have been like following oli testing the EF-aiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
    Hey I had no problems at national day

Post Thanks / Like

i'm not suprised with a 4k limiter... i was on about the 'last nite of the 5 to this day'... lol

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by James5 View Post
    I remember seeing that @ Nat day wasn't a pretty sight seeing that VNT in the condition it was 20 mins later you were back on track running a T2
    That was me m8 couldnt stand the thought of missing any track time so bought the t2 off a traider and wacked it on with the help of bigdanc.cant let small problems stop the fun

Post Thanks / Like

Engine update
    Got my spare crank blanaced, reground and some bearings ground to suit, finished painting the block and some of the bits and pieces that bolt to it, so I've started putting it together, gotta get some fresh piston rings then I can finish it and get sorting other things

Post Thanks / Like

Right, since I started rebuilding my engine I've decided to alter a few bits and do a few things that I have on previous builds, first off I've replaced all the normal bolts that hold all the brackets on the block

And to go with the new colour scheme I got my spare rocker cover and stripped all the paint off and angle grinded the unused brackets and got going with the red oxide primer

A quick coat of white primer

Now I have 1 problem, my original plan was to paint the rocker black with Renault airbrushed in red on the side but now I'm wondering what it'll look like in red all over

Post Thanks / Like

Update time, first off things have gone a little tits up, namely my pistons aren't exactly round anymore, oh well, good job I've got a new set left from a liner set I bought a year ago.

Next the rocker cover, I've changed the plan a little, the grouve in the top has now been smooth out and I've stuck on a badge and painted it in, I think I may take it off and get a proper Renault badge though, not sure yet

To go with the new colour of the block and rocker cover the rest of the ancilieries need attention to fit in with the new scheme, I spotted this ad for sale on ebay from china awhile back but I wasn't sure about the quality cus they were so cheap but a few people on here have bought sets and the've been spot on, as good as the major branded versions so what the hell its only 168quid compared to the 350quid for the branded stuff.

Overnight parts from Shanghi

A full set of coolant and breather silicone hoses in lovely black

And the typical first thing done with new trumpet shaped hoses

I've also decided to take advantage of the engine being out to replace the old brake master cylinder and brake lines and hoses, a new cyclinder is 40quid from GSF, Lovely , steel braid hoses, 25quid off ebay, sorted, the look on the BMW drivers face when I out brake him, Priceless

Committee, South East Regional Rep James5's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Defo ditch the badge on the rocker matey looks ****e, apart from that am liking the rest. Keep up the hard work

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by James5 View Post
    Defo ditch the badge on the rocker matey looks ****e, apart from that am liking the rest. Keep up the hard work
    I'm kinder thinkin that aswell but I may get the Renault lettering and put that on there in a Gordini stylee

Post Thanks / Like

Looking good Oli, agree with the badge though....its gotta go !!

Post Thanks / Like

Ok the turbo badge is going

Post Thanks / Like

chrome rocker cover or leave it rusty lol

Post Thanks / Like

Good work.I think the badge looks ok but i prefer chrome rockers.

Post Thanks / Like

Chrome is just somit else to keep clean and it doesn't make you go any faster

Post Thanks / Like

Chrome is just somit else to keep clean and it doesn't make you go any faster
    Neither does R E N A U L T

lol. Ditch that idea mate.