Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Turbo Toaster

Pic of my old VNT which had two actuators one for vane control the other controls the waste gate would this help set up?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

East Midlands Regional Rep Os8472's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Very interesting, looks like its a water cooled unit aswell, how well di it work?
    Since all the problems I've been having are boost control and not fueling I have been toying with the idea of an external wastegate but that looks proper cool

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Adey aka Ewok View Post
    id say the going down the road with smoke pouring off makes you look like more of a cock than stalling it
    http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=8zmHHbGqMDo

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by markey b View Post

Er random

Post Thanks / Like

Its been awhile since I've updated this thread, mainly cus my internet has been down

Things get worse though, right now i'm experiencing that 'I hate the C1J' moment, I blew the head gasket just before christmas (yes it was my fault) and I finally got a chance to get it all back together and running yesterday, I ran it up only to be met with the sound of a fecked bottom end

Its not like i couldn't fix it but I'm getting tired of having to do the same jobs over and over again, right now I'm giving great consideration to dropping in a clio 1.8 16v lump and whacking on a turbo

Non-member Penfold aka The Dealer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Why do that and do what with the EFI set up?

Post Thanks / Like

how many headgaskets have you blown in total?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Os8472 View Post
    Its been awhile since I've updated this thread, mainly cus my internet has been down

Things get worse though, right now i'm experiencing that 'I hate the C1J' moment, I blew the head gasket just before christmas (yes it was my fault) and I finally got a chance to get it all back together and running yesterday, I ran it up only to be met with the sound of a fecked bottom end

Its not like i couldn't fix it but I'm getting tired of having to do the same jobs over and over again, right now I'm giving great consideration to dropping in a clio 1.8 16v lump and whacking on a turbo
    what caused the head gasket to go then. if you say its your fault surley its not worth changing the engine plans is it.

Post Thanks / Like

i was actually in the vehicle when it blew... so probably my fault lol

i have a magic touch when it comes to cars lol

Post Thanks / Like

Im guessing it was under boost when it destryoed the hg and bottom end ,why oh why were you gunning it when it wasnt mapped proper

Ive had to be pationt with mine ,what a shame you have given up on it ,im sure someone will buy the bits off you and maybe give it a go again .

almost similar to what happened with my 5 ie so close to getting it finished then it dropped a valve on the rollers while doing a power run , although it was not a mapping fault more a case of a badly built head , i still cant believe you were driving it when it wasnt set up right .

i had to make that same decision to rebuild again or scrap the project , there is still alot of times when i think i was daft cont but its starting to look worth while now ..

Post Thanks / Like

It was mapped up to 5000rpm on boost and had a rev limit set there, the hg let go cus of a problem with 1 injectors sticking wide open causing number 1 to run mega rich and hiding the fact the other were running abit lean, its my fault for truct the firm I bought them from and not getting checking the injectors.

Dunno why the bottom end let go yet, I'll whip the engine out and open it up on saturday and see what the damage is and try and figure out why it died.

Post Thanks / Like

It was mapped up to 5000rpm on boost and had a rev limit set there, the hg let go cus of a problem with 1 injectors sticking wide open causing number 1 to run mega rich and hiding the fact the other were running abit lean, its my fault for truct the firm I bought them from and not getting checking the injectors.

Dunno why the bottom end let go yet, I'll whip the engine out and open it up on saturday and see what the damage is and try and figure out why it died.
    what boost pressure was it seeing ? still a bit daft of you to be boosting around knowing that it wasnt set up right even with it limited , surely the mapper wouldve spotted a problem with an injector ? is it purelly down to the boost control that the limiter is set at 5k rpm?

Post Thanks / Like

14psi, the mappers afr were showing perfect readings but that was cus the number 1 was throwing in so much petrol it was hiding the other 3 running just lean and with a VNT doing the boosting job running lean in anyway is a bad thing.

Yeah the boost control problem is why the limiter was at 5k, it was ok up to then, after that the boost creep up very quickly.

Post Thanks / Like

arent vnt's mainly used on diesel cars ??

Post Thanks / Like

14psi, the mappers afr were showing perfect readings but that was cus the number 1 was throwing in so much petrol it was hiding the other 3 running just lean and with a VNT doing the boosting job running lean in anyway is a bad thing.

Yeah the boost control problem is why the limiter was at 5k, it was ok up to then, after that the boost creep up very quickly.

Might be worth getting EGT sensors mounted on the exhaust manifold

Committee member
    Rats Nest Tuning
    Post Thanks / Like

Why not save yourself the headache and bin the VNT?

Dont give up on the project, a EFi C1J is well worth having!! Wouldn't bother with a 1.8 16v turbo now when you've done all the hard work on this engine!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ashy View Post
    Why not save yourself the headache and bin the VNT?

Dont give up on the project, a EFi C1J is well worth having!! Wouldn't bother with a 1.8 16v turbo now when you've done all the hard work on this engine!!
    Just got too see whats achieavable when you look at what AVA have done with Mudslingers. Scrap the vnt, and go for something nice and meaty!!

Post Thanks / Like

i've popped a h/g on my f7p turbo n all, aint that much better! not to mention 2 clutches one turbo and a gearbox aswell lol

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coops View Post
    i've popped a h/g on my f7p turbo n all, aint that much better! not to mention 2 clutches one turbo and a gearbox aswell lol
    Coops, what gearbox did you blow up and whats the valver gear box like in terms of holding the power??

Post Thanks / Like

In theory all I need to do is replace the faulty injector, plumb in my external wastegate (waiting on my welding bloke to finish I bit of custom work) and replace the big end and main bearings and then get it mapped, which isn't alot when you think about it, its just annoying that everytime I do something to improve the car I end up having to repair something else that doesn't like it.

I know everyone keeps saying get rid of the VNT and stick with the EFI but the hell can't I have a VNT and EFI, if Porchse can do it with the 911 turbo so can I.

Just out of interest what problems have people had in the past trying to map a VNT?

Post Thanks / Like

Just out of interest what problems have people had in the past trying to map a VNT?
    thats a bit of a no brainer question is it no? its obvious its down to the boost control

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think anyone has mapped a 5 with a VNT on a fuel injected C1J before, its hard enough with a carb.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Markey Mark (BD) View Post
    I don't think anyone has mapped a 5 with a VNT on a fuel injected C1J before, its hard enough with a carb.

call me stupid, but what is so different about the compressor map on a VNT, other than spike (external wg should limit that) and the fact it spools early?!

surely the pressure it produces at a said RPM remains similar to a normal turbo, and if the MAP sensor measures the boost and fuels accordingly it shouldn't be a problem...

if i'm wrong please correct me tho, i'm willing to learn! lol

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by markey b View Post
    call me stupid, but what is so different about the compressor map on a VNT, other than spike (external wg should limit that) and the fact it spools early?!

surely the pressure it produces at a said RPM remains similar to a normal turbo, and if the MAP sensor measures the boost and fuels accordingly it shouldn't be a problem...

if i'm wrong please correct me tho, i'm willing to learn! lol
    it's the turbine map that causes the problem

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Cooke View Post
    wrong, as I said way back, you can't map out how much the VNT changes the VE of the engine with a MAP sensor.

what he said!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mudslinger View Post
    thats a bit of a no brainer question is it no? its obvious its down to the boost control
    Well apart from that

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MATT C Ringworm Tuning View Post
    Coops, what gearbox did you blow up and whats the valver gear box like in terms of holding the power??
    valver jb3 gearbox i blew, circlipped bearings so bag of ****e mate, it was a new refurbed box direct from renault, it had done 2k at low boost 217bhp and 200lb/ft when i bought the car, i did 4k on it, half of that at high boost 254bhp and 230lb/ft and it died, stripped 4th gear on autobahn just outside aachen on way to the ring, muchos disappointment

now have a jc5 williams box, rebuilt by team think as it was their spare box and its going okay atm, only done couple of k max on it tho and one pod day

Post Thanks / Like

valver jb3 gearbox i blew, circlipped bearings so bag of ****e mate, it was a new refurbed box direct from renault, it had done 2k at low boost 217bhp and 200lb/ft when i bought the car, i did 4k on it, half of that at high boost 254bhp and 230lb/ft and it died, stripped 4th gear on autobahn just outside aachen on way to the ring, muchos disappointment

now have a jc5 williams box, rebuilt by team think as it was their spare box and its going okay atm, only done couple of k max on it tho and one pod day
    Gotta ask, whats wrong with using the R5GTT box on a valver turbo? its a proven box thats taken stupid amounts of abuse over the years from just about everyone thats ever owned an R5

Post Thanks / Like

It begins, SWHR Spec 2 engine build
    First off, here's my spare block, its got no pistons or crank but it is intact, just needs cleaning, painting and prepping

So lets get started, a good dose of nitro mors

In no time the old paint is peeling off

About 5mins with an old screwdriver and a wire brush and its looking loads better

Another coat of nitro mors and its nearly ready

A good clean out with engine degreaser and a hose pipe and its ready for paint

Brown is the new black

Nah not really thats just the red oxide primer, once thats dried I'll mask it up and give it first proper coat of paint

Post Thanks / Like

Gotta ask, whats wrong with using the R5GTT box on a valver turbo? its a proven box thats taken stupid amounts of abuse over the years from just about everyone thats ever owned an R5
    no top mount, have to go manual steering fit r5 lower mount to hold it. no speedo. willy box is straight swap and handles it well

Post Thanks / Like

no top mount, have to go manual steering fit r5 lower mount to hold it. no speedo. willy box is straight swap and handles it well
    Ah I see, so it just a case of it being more easy to fit

Post Thanks / Like

Been looking over the dead engine, I think I may have found the problem, can anyone spot it

Post Thanks / Like

bbtuning seem to flogging those valver turbo manifolds off for cheap pennies on ebay currently.
    last time i looked it was £99 each with 10 available.
    might be worth going f7r route...but then with the work you have put into the c1j i would be inclicned to stay that route and iron out the problem

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maka View Post
    bbtuning seem to flogging those valver turbo manifolds off for cheap pennies on ebay currently.
    might be worth going f7r route...but then with the work you have put into the c1j i would be inclicned to stay that route and iron out the problem
    I'm gunna stick with the C1J for now but come next year should there be any major issues like this again I will sell the efi system and whack in valver lump, but for now its on with the C1J SWHR spec 2 build

Committee member
    Rats Nest Tuning
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maka View Post
    Link please

Post Thanks / Like

Link please

thats a wierd thing
    as i only pointed the them out saturday night to the other half and now i cant find them

the investigation continues

Post Thanks / Like

Link please

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=120369702018

Post Thanks / Like

Right along with everythin else I'm doing I've decided to look into aerodynamics and how to improve the aeros of the R5, I'm startin with the underside, first off the front end, I'm gunna make a sump guard out of ally that'll help protect it but also direct the airflow in a cleaner way, next the rear end, I'm gunna remove the spare and its hanger and make a plate to cover the whole space from the fuel tank back the rear bumper to help keep the airflow clean, next up the front bumper, I'm trying to find a nice carbon splitter but in the mean time I've found a nice pair of carbon carnards to help kill the understeer

Post Thanks / Like

ull have to be going at a rate of knots into a corner for them to work well bud, id look into making the whole underside of the car flat as you can with ali sheets and then getting it low

Post Thanks / Like

True but they look cool and are perfect for slicing the legs of cyclists just b4 I set them on fire with the sidey lol

Post Thanks / Like

True but they look cool and are perfect for slicing the legs of cyclists just b4 I set them on fire with the sidey lol
    Let Brewski know if you're coming around with them on, he can't afford to lose any more hieght.

Post Thanks / Like

why i orta . Not being funny olly but aero is not really an issue is it yet? surely not , i cant see many track going 5's touch upon splitter ,aerofoils or any other form of aerodynamic enhancement?i know russell b has filled in the spare wheel void with lexan/perspex something like that anyways , im sure there are plenty more things to worry about to make it fast round corners before you need mclaren type splitters lol

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TNT ANDY View Post
    Let Brewski know if you're coming around with them on, he can't afford to lose any more hieght.

Good point, his name is first on the list lol

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TNT!hammond View Post
    why i orta . Not being funny olly but aero is not really an issue is it yet? surely not , i cant see many track going 5's touch upon splitter ,aerofoils or any other form of aerodynamic enhancement?i know russell b has filled in the spare wheel void with lexan/perspex something like that anyways , im sure there are plenty more things to worry about to make it fast round corners before you need mclaren type splitters lol
    True I could get more power from the engine or fit a cage like yours to stiffen the shell but I wanna have ago at thinking outside the box, besides I decided on slight change in direct with mine, instead of outo and out power that last for 2 maybe 3 laps of a circuit blowing up in spectacular fashion, I want somit I can rag all day long and be 100% reliable.................... ok maybe 80% lol, I not so worried if it isn't as fast as it could be in a straight line, I've already Mars over a 1/4mile and he's got 30bhp and 50ft lb over mine, wanna make it quick in other areas.
    Its always annoyed me that even though its small light as the wheels in each corner that it just doesn't seem to hande aswell as it should, yeah its proberbly down to my driving.
    When I went on that trackday at bedford autodrome against all those damn clio 172's, 182's and 197's I could easy bet them on the straights but get to the corners and they just kept there foot in and were gone, where as i had slow down alot to get round without ending up in a hedge.

Post Thanks / Like

you need to sort the chassis before you bother with aerodynamics - springs, dampers, camber etc. (do you have any pictures of your car cornering?). You also need to look at unsprung weight - wheels brakes etc.

When it comes to lift, the PH1 bumper probably doesn't do you any favours... but as the Ewok said, wings and stuff will be what you want to tweak the handing in 100mph corners, but only once it's sorted in the slower ones.

Post Thanks / Like

you can get decent suspension for not much cash, or you can get very good suspension for alot more money, i payed what i feel is a huge a mount of money for my suspension, but after driving on track alot its easily the thing thats given me the most bang for buck, i can corner harder faster and smoother due to the sus, and the more spped you carry through the corner the faster your going onto the straights, my car is very slow compared to alot of cars i pass on track, good sus, good tyres and good brakes. mabey you could look into some better driving techniques to cure your understeer problem?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Cooke View Post
    you need to sort the chassis before you bother with aerodynamics - springs, dampers, camber etc. (do you have any pictures of your car cornering?). You also need to look at unsprung weight - wheels brakes etc.

When it comes to lift, the PH1 bumper probably doesn't do you any favours... but as the Ewok said, wings and stuff will be what you want to tweak the handing in 100mph corners, but only once it's sorted in the slower ones.
    I've got Avo coilovers on the front and Avo adjustable rear dampers, the engine bay has been seam welded and braced, so has the subframe, polybushes on the anti roll bar and wishbones, new ball joints, new strut top mounts, strut brace, pair of toyo R888's for trackdays so all the basics have been covered.

These are the best pics I've got of it cornering at bedford autodrome

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

that engine looks class how much it cost to put all tht 2gether?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by d110rkjste View Post
    that engine looks class how much it cost to put all tht 2gether?
    Far too much, mostl cus I did it myself and learnt what does and doesn't work by blowing it up half a dozen times lol

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

what turbo do you have? an how did u get all the cozzy parts on it?