Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516171819 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Turbo Toaster

That probably would've result in clutch slip too..

East Midlands Regional Rep Os8472's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Walker View Post
    check the threads, ive seen oil leak through flywheel bolts before now. crazy stuff but its possible, locktite was the cure.
    I always do that

Post Thanks / Like

scrap it oli

Post Thanks / Like

as above, bet you its oil coming through the flywheel bolt holes, commonly mis-diagnosed on the F7 as crank oil seal. I've locktited and tigersealed mine in this time ;-)

diesel gearbox is fail, I ran a R19TDi one on mine for a while, the ratios were stupid long, lost all the fizz from the engine, 172 JC5 imo

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tutuur View Post
    That probably would've result in clutch slip too..
    not is the oil leaks behind the flywheel it wouldn't, it may sound impossible but it does, Dan's did the same, all he did was remove flywheel, refit and properly locktite'd it and it cured the leak, he didn't touch anything else

I went one step further and put a dab of tigerseal on the underside of the head and first few threads of the bolt (nearest head) and locktited the bottom threads.

Post Thanks / Like

my first crankseal leaked (i thought) so removed it and placed a new one, both times i locktited the flybolts however it still leaks

Post Thanks / Like

Clutch side of the flywheel was dry, no evidence oil at all, not much oil on the back either and none on the crank seal, looks more like the 2 seals either side of the bearing cap

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coops View Post

diesel gearbox is fail, I ran a R19TDi one on mine for a while, the ratios were stupid long, lost all the fizz from the engine, 172 JC5 imo
    Is that the same ratios as on a laguna diesel gearbox? as thats what I've got and I don't find the ratios that long

Post Thanks / Like

not a clue, all I know was it' do over 100 in 3rd

Post Thanks / Like

not a clue, all I know was it' do over 100 in 3rd
    sounds like the other halves zetec KA on a 1.3 box

crank seal from the kits is pap too, too thin, need an OE black deep one and some sealant to make good

Post Thanks / Like

it was useless though, ratios were just too long to keep it on full boost, I popped it at pod though pretty quickly so it was swapped straight out!

Post Thanks / Like

I had the crank seal from the ebay kit and it's much beefier than the oe one!

Could well be due to the wheel size of a laguna, it has larger wheels so probably a shorter final gear to compensate...

Post Thanks / Like

The engine is all back together and back in the bay but I'm taking advantage of the charge cooler being to improve it.

First off I'll get the boost in and out ports changed from 55mm to 63mm.
    Second the whole coolant system will be changed from 13mm to 25mm, the charge cooler and pre red will need adjustment.
    Third the front bumper needs opening up to improve airflow to the pre rad but this is where I'm having trouble making a choice, I could easy take another inch out of the recess but there's still 80mm of rad covered.

Do I cut the whole front out, drill 60mm holes across the front to maintain strength or just trim a little bit out?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Os8472 View Post
    The engine is all back together and back in the bay but I'm taking advantage of the charge cooler being to improve it.

Second the whole coolant system will be changed from 13mm to 25mm, the charge cooler and pre red will need adjustment.
    Third the front bumper needs opening up to improve airflow to the pre rad but this is where I'm having trouble making a choice, I could easy take another inch out of the recess but there's still 80mm of rad covered.

Do I cut the whole front out, drill 60mm holes across the front to maintain strength or just trim a little bit out?

have u considered a front mount intercooler? less pissing about, no rads to leak, no electrics to play up, and looks better too

Post Thanks / Like

1 of the mods to the charge cooler system is a bigger header tank but space in the engine bay is non existant, so it'll go where the battery normally lives and the battery will go in the boot, this will help with weight distribution as a bonus for making space in the front.

But battery cable is chuffing exspensive stuff, coming in at 9quid a metre for 25mm fortunately I know I guy and got 35mm at 6quid a metre a quick trip to halfrauds for an isolation switch to live where the battery normally would and some late ring crimps robbed from work and all is good

Just need to make up a battery clamp, for this ill use 2 lengths of M10 threaded rod, a number of lock nuts and washers and finally a length a ally box section with 1 side cut out to lock either side of the battery to prevent movement.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

hole cutter, leave 35mm min gap between hole edges or close to, once you've marked your centres , that way you will retain some strength in the bumper, whilst lightening the load

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

i would cut the holes above on the upper face of your bumper, as that will have the most effective flow to the rad and cooler, pretty certain where you've marked is where the slam panel is located, check before you start drilling. just in case

Post Thanks / Like

Hi oli will you need to drill holes in the bumper maybe try it as it is first I have the standard size c/cooler rad behind a standard front grill and dont ever see charge temps higher than 34 degrees on full boost but saying that it could run cooler as I have the tank mounted in the scuttle

Just a thought mate
    Phil

Post Thanks / Like

My battery is now mounted in the boot, I used a length of ally box section with 1 side taken out so it looks across the top of the battery.

I use threaded rod either side bolted through the boot floor, while I was under the back I gave the underside of the boot floor a quick spray with underseal.

I earthed the battery to the boot lock and the threaded rod, I will add another earth that'll go all the way to the engine bay.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks a bit hoyed in place oz get it in a proper box

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brigsy View Post
    Looks a bit hoyed in place oz get it in a proper box
    Doesn't move an inch fella, I got hold of the battery and pulled on it and started bending the boot floor and it still didn't move from under the bar

Post Thanks / Like

Its not the movement its the bare terminals, when you corner hard and that metal chair in the back arcs out on them boom? Lol

Post Thanks / Like

ai, at least cap the terminals fella, wont have to worry about slinging stuff in boot then

Post Thanks / Like

My battery is now mounted in the boot, I used a length of ally box section with 1 side taken out so it looks across the top of the battery.

I use threaded rod either side bolted through the boot floor, while I was under the back I gave the underside of the boot floor a quick spray with underseal.

I earthed the battery to the boot lock and the threaded rod, I will add another earth that'll go all the way to the engine bay.

battery in boot.... 6 years too late

Post Thanks / Like

Standard Ariel is all good, apart from when the holding screw comes loose and knocks against the roof of the car (sorry no pics) but Phil has a short stubby ariel, this looked well sweet.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brigsy View Post
    Its not the movement its the bare terminals, when you corner hard and that metal chair in the back arcs out on them boom? Lol
    That chair doesn't live in there, it's just in there while I work on the car

ai, at least cap the terminals fella, wont have to worry about slinging stuff in boot then
    I was thinkin I'd do that

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by markey b View Post
    battery in boot.... 6 years too late
    Nuts to u butterbean

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to JP's welding friend my charge cooler and pre rad are now modified to better improve the flow of boosted air and the coolant, with any luck this should keep the charge temps down low.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

all up and running now then?

im still clutchless!!!!!!

****ing useless old **** at helix wants shooting

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HAndy View Post
    all up and running now then?

im still clutchless!!!!!!

****ing useless old **** at helix wants shooting
    Not yet, gunna try and get it done tonight.

Your joking! What is their excuse this time???

Post Thanks / Like

personally not a fan of the holes look bumpers, heres what iv done with, got a nice big open bit but also not lost loads of bumper, and left the corners so i can mount a no.plate still if i need to

Post Thanks / Like

Ah crap, wish id seen that last night, already taken the hole saw to the front bumper :/

Oh well, it's done now and the new charge cooler setup is in and complete, because of the increase in coolant line size I found there were a lot of bleeding issues, the main 1 was down to the fact the charge cooler only has the 13mm ports on it and I was using reducers to increase and decrease the hose size before and after the cooler.
    Because the hose coming out of the cooler went from 13mm to 25mm it caused a void that the flow couldn't fill causing more air bubbles in the system.
    So I fitted 13mm hose from the cooler to the header tank and moved the water pump as low as possible which means the header drains straight into the pump elimnating another airlock. Job done
    I had the ports on the charge cooler increased from 55mm to 63mm and the top port moved to the side, this allowed me to shorten the boost circuit and remove 2 overly tight bends from the system.

Post Thanks / Like

Thought it was time to upload some pics of the new charge cooler setup

Can anyone spot where the pump is for the cc system?

And here's the front end now it's been opened up for airflow, not exactly sleeper style anymore but needs must

Post Thanks / Like

Can you give us a clue where the pump is its quite hard to see on an iPhone its definatly not where mine is
    Last edited by philr5t; 16-07-2012 at 00:21.

Committee, South East Regional Rep James5's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by philr5t View Post
    Can you give us a clue where the pump is not hard to see on an iPhone is definatly not where mine is
    Under the n/s headlight i think (had mine under there just enough space

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Finch View Post
    Still can't really see but if it's under the head light that is a similar place to mine

Post Thanks / Like

I think it's on the roof lol with that massive wing you have glued on

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Finch View Post
    Yep, give that boy a gold star

I put it there as it was the lowest point I could get it yet still be above the pre rad so the pump doesn't have to draw the water upwards at any point, the water drains straight from the header tank straight into it meaning it's dead easy to bleed the system

Quote Originally Posted by JP Racing View Post
    I think it's on the roof lol with that massive wing you have glued on
    Nah that was HAndy

Post Thanks / Like

thats alot of faff when you could have just fitted an intercooler.....

Post Thanks / Like

GTT a pair of Clio valver hubs fitted with new bearings and on the car tonight, they could do with a lick of paint but that can wait till after national day.

The turbo oil feed was leaking from the T piece where the pressure gauge connected so I ordered a new T piece and unions, they turned up Wednesday and I got those fitted tonight aswell, unfortunately the adaptor to fit the gauge pipe was the wrong thread but the replacement is on the way, hopefully here on Monday.

I'll be honest with the weather the way it is I might let the 5 miss this year and bring the 9 instead, plus the 9 would be a laugh in the wet on track

Post Thanks / Like

GTT a pair of Clio valver hubs fitted with new bearings and on the car tonight, they could do with a lick of paint but that can wait till after national day.

The turbo oil feed was leaking from the T piece where the pressure gauge connected so I ordered a new T piece and unions, they turned up Wednesday and I got those fitted tonight aswell, unfortunately the adaptor to fit the gauge pipe was the wrong thread but the replacement is on the way, hopefully here on Monday.

I'll be honest with the weather the way it is I might let the 5 miss this year and bring the 9 instead, plus the 9 would be a laugh in the wet on track
    You tart - you just can't bear the thought of being wooped by a 1.4 8 valve.

But on a positive note - the weather next week looks set to be good, so no exuses.

And on another positive note - good work on the 5, can't wait to see yours and JP's side by side. Shame Handy's won't be there.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TNT ANDY View Post
    You tart - you just can't bear the thought of being wooped by a 1.4 8 valve.

But on a positive note - the weather next week looks set to be good, so no exuses.

And on another positive note - good work on the 5, can't wait to see yours and JP's side by side. Shame Handy's won't be there.
    Thing is I've track time booked and the 5 won't be mapped for anything over 5psi in time to use it properly, 5psi should be quick but because of the increase in turbo size it feels really flat, I might be able to get some live mapping done in time but I don't feel safe ragging it, where as the 9 I'll rag the tits off it all day long only stopping for fuel and oil

Post Thanks / Like

When I put the 5 back together I had to clean up the throttle body and the TPS got shifted so when I got it started it was running rough as, at idle it was running rich, in the 9's infact it wouldn't run right at all, misfiring all over the place.

30 seconds with the laptop connected and she's running sweet as after resetting the TPS

Now all I need to do is hope the header tank cap holds after I ran over it after forgetting to put it back on before a test drive and hope the coolant system issue I was having is sorted.

See you all at Blyton

Post Thanks / Like

Well I'm back from Blyton and what a great weekend, from the oil slick in my engine bay to Mad Andy's 20 second from start to spin lap was an interesting weekend for sure.

The toaster managed 3 fast laps before I got black flagged for smoke coming off my front wheel which turned out to be about 2 litres of oil coming out of the engine but fortunately the F7R has a large oil capacity so a top up and it was fine.

As for how it got out in the first place........ it was my fault, because I'm not using the cambelt covers the mounting holes were left open, 1 of those passes right through into the engine thanks to JP and Handy for managing to get a bolt in there even while the engine was hot, The Master for the use of his trolley jack and another who's name I can't remember (sorry fella, I'm crap at names) for giving me the bolt, you had the Volvo engine'd white Clio.

Apart from the oil loss the track showed the suspension needs setting up desperately as coming out of every corner the back end kept stepping out

And finally the engine it's self, even though it was running 3psi on a safe map it went like a fecking rocket I totally didn't expect it because of the long geared diesel gearbox but it didn't cause any issues, infact I only needed to go into forth once per lap of the straight after the long sweeping left hander.

Post Thanks / Like

and i failed completely to have a poke around the engine

i did manage to corner JP for quite a while and nosey over his build though, come away with some cooling ideas to perhaps reduce my inlet temps a tad from the 58 i was seeing on track

Post Thanks / Like

so the Pace chargecooler isn't that great afterall?

Post Thanks / Like

i dont think that any are after their weekend testing

Post Thanks / Like

Lol, if i get what you're saying they atleast give them the beans!

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't say the core itself isn't any good, I'd say it's the pre rad, header tank and the size of the coolant lines that let it down

Post Thanks / Like

mine was fine, ran 58 degrees absolute peak at 16psi all day on track, standard everything