Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Turbo Toaster

Congrats,

South West Regional Rep jesus in the seat of a 5's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

well done oli, you deserve that buddy, keep up the good work my ole friend, was good to see you sunday.....

East Midlands Regional Rep Os8472's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks peeps.

jebus let me know how you get on with the wiring and altenator on ya cup car, can't be having that on a trallior all day and not blasting round a track
    Last edited by Os8472; 14-06-2010 at 17:29.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

well done!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Os8472 View Post
    Far too much, mostl cus I did it myself and learnt what does and doesn't work by blowing it up half a dozen times lol
    And............................................... .....................................

C'mon now Oli - it wasn't all you fault.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TNT ANDY View Post
    And............................................... .....................................

C'mon now Oli - it wasn't all you fault.
    Ok over the last year the problems with the car have been Nigels fault but before that 80% of the blow ups have been down to my lack of knowlodge, the other 20% would be down to the piss poor advice from BBPT and thE ****e parts they provided

Post Thanks / Like

Yay I've had some work to do on the car

Failed its MOT on saturday so I've been sorting the repairs, both bottom ball joints were shot and the rear brake pipes have been kinked where the torsion bar hit the chassis legs during a spirited launch over a hump back bridge lol

All done now, just gotta get it retested on saturday

Post Thanks / Like

lol spirited?? u must of been aiming for the heavens.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Walker View Post
    lol spirited?? u must of been aiming for the heavens.
    Maybe a little

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe a little

Post Thanks / Like

Its been awhile since I last posted about any problems with the 5, because its been running sweat as............................. until last week

First off the heater matrix I fitter 2 years ago shat itself into the passenger foot well so thats by passed for now.

There's a knock coming from the passenger side front wheel, I think its wheel bearing, again.

The gearbox is getting worse and its getting harder and harder to select a gear.

The part throttle problem hasn't got any worse but it is annoying me so that needs sorting.

And I'm fed up with having a silly hard ride just so the car will handle.

The oil leak last year did more damage than I thought as the bottom end is just starting to make itself heard.

So this is my plan for christmas time

Engine out

Build up spare block with balanced crank, new bearings, new rings, forged pistons and the 215mm clutch conversion.

Smaller throttle body to reduce the snappyness low down, I think 60mm is just to big on an engine that factory had a 25mm, I recon a 45mm will be a good compramise between power and driveability.

New gearbox, a GTT box would be nice but I'm looking into early laguna diesel boxes for the longer 4th and 5th gears.

Strip, straighten, smooth and repaint engine bay.

Clio 16v wide track conversion to give 35mm extra width and a thicker anti roll bar.

Longer front springs to raise the front 15 maybe 20mm so the coilovers can be softened abit.

Raise the rear torsion bar 25mm to give a more factory suspension geometry.

New front tyres as I can't drive round on R888's all the time.

Dashboard out to replace heater matrix and find out why the side air vents don't do anyhing anymore.

Not alot but hey I need somit to do on the cold winter nights

Post Thanks / Like

Its been awhile since I last posted about any problems with the 5, because its been running sweat as............................. until last week

First off the heater matrix I fitter 2 years ago shat itself into the passenger foot well so thats by passed for now.

There's a knock coming from the passenger side front wheel, I think its wheel bearing, again.

The gearbox is getting worse and its getting harder and harder to select a gear.

The part throttle problem hasn't got any worse but it is annoying me so that needs sorting.

And I'm fed up with having a silly hard ride just so the car will handle.

The oil leak last year did more damage than I thought as the bottom end is just starting to make itself heard.

So this is my plan for christmas time

Engine out

Build up spare block with balanced crank, new bearings, new rings, forged pistons and the 215mm clutch conversion.

Smaller throttle body to reduce the snappyness low down, I think 60mm is just to big on an engine that factory had a 25mm, I recon a 45mm will be a good compramise between power and driveability.

New gearbox, a GTT box would be nice but I'm looking into early laguna diesel boxes for the longer 4th and 5th gears.

Strip, straighten, smooth and repaint engine bay.

Clio 16v wide track conversion to give 35mm extra width and a thicker anti roll bar.

Longer front springs to raise the front 15 maybe 20mm so the coilovers can be softened abit.

Raise the rear torsion bar 25mm to give a more factory suspension geometry.

New front tyres as I can't drive round on R888's all the time.

Dashboard out to replace heater matrix and find out why the side air vents don't do anyhing anymore.

Not alot but hey I need somit to do on the cold winter nights
    Sounds like a plan. And final mapping? you can't keep using the 'it hasn't been fully mapped' excuse when things don't go as well as expected.

Post Thanks / Like

I know but hopefully this time things will go better, baring any major problems I've covered everything.

With any luck it'll be ready for mapping in january

Post Thanks / Like

been trying to find a gearbox for the 5 but haven't found one yet and fter going out in a mates astra vxr i've realised his car with only minor mods is as fast as mine with major mods and he can thrash his all day long without worry where as mine wouldn't last.

I'm tinking I may go down a different route in the new year but for now I have to do something about the oil leak and knackered gearbox so I will pull the engine out over chrismas just to sort these bits till I decided exactly what I'm going to do long term

Post Thanks / Like

there were some nice oil puddles outside mine

Did you find out the code for the box you're thinking of?

Post Thanks / Like

There will allways be someone faster, stick with the car you love , i drive different cars everyday, modern cars can and are very quick but have no where near the character.

Post Thanks / Like

oh yeah, what's controlling your boost, and how is it all connected?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Cooke View Post
    there were some nice oil puddles outside mine

Did you find out the code for the box you're thinking of?
    Sorry about that

Nope, gotta ask Handy Andy, he's the man who knows

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Walker View Post
    There will allways be someone faster, stick with the car you love , i drive different cars everyday, modern cars can and are very quick but have no where near the character.
    True but I can't let a 5 get beaten by a vauxhall, I could spend loads more on a C1J and get it up to 260bhp maybe 280bhp and he wouldn't stand a chance but it'd keep dying

Post Thanks / Like

oh yeah, what's controlling your boost, and how is it all connected?
    I have the same solinoid as you controlled by the ecu to work the external gate

Post Thanks / Like

True but I can't let a 5 get beaten by a vauxhall, I could spend loads more on a C1J and get it up to 260bhp maybe 280bhp and he wouldn't stand a chance but it'd keep dying
    Just stick a different engine in there,I'm sure your setup would pay for a big chunk of the conversion.think my set up just about payed for mine,except mapping/wiring

Post Thanks / Like

I have the same solinoid as you controlled by the ecu to work the external gate
    ahhh, that will make the throttle snappy. If the ECU doesn't have throttle dependant boost try a separate boost controller with the sense and solenoid pipes on the intercooler side of the throttle. What happens is the ECU will be trying to hold the boost in the plenum, so the throttle won't do what it's supposed to do.

To be honest, even if the ECU has throttle dependant boost I'd still try a separate boost controller.

Short term try connecting the wategate up conventionally (with the pipe on the intercooler side of the throttle), maybe with a bleed valve, it won't spool as early as with a boost controller, but you'll see if it helps the throttle sensitivity.

Post Thanks / Like

ahhh, that will make the throttle snappy. If the ECU doesn't have throttle dependant boost try a separate boost controller with the sense and solenoid pipes on the intercooler side of the throttle. What happens is the ECU will be trying to hold the boost in the plenum, so the throttle won't do what it's supposed to do.

To be honest, even if the ECU has throttle dependant boost I'd still try a separate boost controller.

Short term try connecting the wategate up conventionally (with the pipe on the intercooler side of the throttle), maybe with a bleed valve, it won't spool as early as with a boost controller, but you'll see if it helps the throttle sensitivity.
    I had the wastegate hooked up with a bleed valve before I hooked up the solinoid when I first fitted the current manifold, was about the same, I think the 60mm body is just too big, I good session in a scrap yard should turn up somit thats 45mm, I recon that'd be spot on

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

well the turbo toaster has gone and done it!!!
    a f7r hybrid is soon to be powering his white phase 1
    well i say soon , more like about march/april time next year
    just got to sort out pisons/ gearbox and log /tubby style manifold to bring the turbo around the side of cylinder head

sorry oswald if i spoilt your little secret

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HAndy View Post
    well the turbo toaster has gone and done it!!!
    a f7r hybrid is soon to be powering his white phase 1
    well i say soon , more like about march/april time next year
    just got to sort out pisons/ gearbox and log /tubby style manifold to bring the turbo around the side of cylinder head

sorry oswald if i spoilt your little secret
    nah thats ok fella but this won't be happening that soon, end of next year more like, I want to get 1 last season in with the C1J now the efi is done I need to see what it can do before I go F7P

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

nah thats ok fella but this won't be happening that soon, end of next year more like, I want to get 1 last season in with the C1J now the efi is done I need to see what it can do before I go F7P
    ~~~~BANG!!!!~~~~

Post Thanks / Like

I've had the 5 off the road for 3 weeks now but haven't done anything to it until today, with abit of help from Andy (more like standing around smoking fags and telling me to just drop the F7r in now) the engine is out and on a stand so I can't find and fix the oil leak, replace the clutch bearing, sort out the starter wiring thats got abit crispy and clean the bay of all the oil thats leaked.

Oh joy the next few weeks are gunna be messy

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

a days work to fix and refit , pull your finger out (while i watch and smoke )

Post Thanks / Like

a days work to fix and refit , pull your finger out (while i watch and smoke )
    Well I can't complain too much, you did pay for the MaccyD's.......................... wait a sec yes I can cus I gave you a fiver towards it

Post Thanks / Like

Can you search for most viewed threads? This has nearly hit 10k

Post Thanks / Like

Yikes its been a while since I was on here and alot has happened.

First off over christmas I took out the C1J to sort an oil leak and replace the clutch bearing and while its was out I dummy fitted the F7 engine thats going to replace it later this year, it fitted just fine and I got on with refitting the C1J

and thats where everything went wrong

I've pulled apart that engine god knows how many times, I can practically put it together blind fold but the last few weeks things didnt go well, it took me a week to refit the starter and thats with the car up on axle stands, turbo off and no driveshafts

After that I find 1 of the clio 16v shafts I'm fitting has a CV boot held on with plastic cable ties

And then the thread on the gearbox filler hole strips out when I fit the plug

I broke the bolts that hold the downpipe to the rest of the system.

I lost 1 of the breather hoses.

1 of the studs in the back of the turbo sheared off.

And yet more of the wiring loom proved to be poorly made.

The can of petrol and box of matches insurance job started looking very tempting

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

just hurry up and get saving for the f7 engine transplant , oh ive got big booossttt on its way

Post Thanks / Like

just hurry up and get saving for the f7 engine transplant , oh ive got big booossttt on its way
    Told ya Andy, i'm building up a stash of parts as we speak

Post Thanks / Like

On sunday MarkyB kindly opened his workshop so we could replace meater matrix.

Annoyingly this'll be the second time I've done it but this time went really well and the old matrix was disposed of in the proper manor, namely with a lump hammer.

Cheers for the assist there MrB, much appricated, as was the centre consol you donated, only problem it made my switch panel redundent and the switches didn't suit the new factoryesq look so I went on fleabay and ordered a pair of rocker switchs with built in LED's, they turned up today and I got busy with my dremil and fitted them to the blank the goes between the passenger window switch and the central locking switch.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice work mate good to see are your window switches connected and wired up now only ask as I am having a few probs putting mine on toggle switches

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by philr5t View Post
    Nice work mate good to see are your window switches connected and wired up now only ask as I am having a few probs putting mine on toggle switches
    I never disconnected the window switches, just made a new ally panel for them to sit in but never had room for the central locking switch.

What sorta problems you having?

Post Thanks / Like

Well the 5 has been up and running for 2 weeks now and apart from a dodgy sounding gearbox all seems well.

While the engine was out i replaced the throttle body to manifold gasket with gasket paste and she now idles alot smoother and slower, she's turning over at 600rpm, me thinks the was a air leak and with it now sorted i need to get the laptop out and tweak the idle settings aswell as set up the new boost soilnoid and then its time to give her some death

Post Thanks / Like

Good work Olski, you'll after get It properly mapped now.

Post Thanks / Like

Good work Olski, you'll after get It properly mapped now.
    No point fella, the c1j won't be in there much longer, the cash is better spent on it's replacement

Post Thanks / Like

c1j = mission aborted :-(

s'pose it did cost a fortune in mapping ;-P

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by markey b View Post
    c1j = mission aborted :-(

s'pose it did cost a fortune in mapping ;-P
    Wasn't that much but defo more than I'd planned on, shame really, I would've liked to have seen what it could do but I just can't justify spending anymore money on it.

Not when I can get so much more power more easly from an F7 with none of the reliability issues

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

then markey shouldnt be laughing at ya as much lol
    as long as it gana have a turbo?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tom t View Post
    then markey shouldnt be laughing at ya as much lol
    as long as it gana have a turbo?
    Its always gunna have a turbo

Post Thanks / Like

Ah c0ck it, typical french, I knew it was going to well, less than 2 weeks on the road and she's spat her dummy out and split a coolant pipe at 120mph (on the track officer)

Post Thanks / Like

took all of half an hour to remove the cheap **** chinese coolant hose and replace it with a sfs job, all good and running again.

Spent the best part of last saturday at Mr Butterbeans unit whipping the gearbox and a few other choice parts of his black 5 he's breaking (cheers for those bits fella).
    I swapped out the passenger side window motor to find it was slower than mine so mine went back in, i must of sacred it as its working perfectly now. Swapped out the drivers door lock because doesn't always unlock to find it now unlocks but doesn't lock even on the key, so thats me getting out the passenge side for now then.

Oh well at least the collection of f7r bits is going well

Post Thanks / Like

Just a few snaps of the F7R progress

some of the bits, including, head set, bottom end set, new dipstick tube, water pump and various new bolts

An F7P Cam cover that was totally ****ed when i got it now nice and smooth and red with a home made carbon plug cover

The engine dummy fitted with the turbo to the side but it won't be going there now

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

loving the cam
    cover....... now get buying the rest,the french toast show is not that far away

Post Thanks / Like

loving the cam
    cover....... now get buying the rest,the french toast show is not that far away
    Yeah I know, all in good time, block, crank and flywheel have to go away first, then its pistons and rods on order and building can comence

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I know, all in good time, block, crank and flywheel have to go away first, then its pistons and rods on order and building can comence
    Chop Chop Oli - want to get amongst it with you on the track, just to see how an EFI C1J stacks up against the FRFFFFRRRFRFRFRFRF.

Post Thanks / Like

Chop Chop Oli - want to get amongst it with you on the track, just to see how an EFI C1J stacks up against the FRFFFFRRRFRFRFRFRF.
    Should be interesting, in the corners you should have the advantage due to the extra weight of the f7r over the c1j but because i'm using a relatively small turbo coming out of the corners i'll rain you back in and pass you on the straights, that is if you don't use a million psi of boost