Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213141516171819
    East Midlands Regional Rep Os8472's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Turbo Toaster

Cheers fella, ill pay the local stealership a visit this week.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TNT ANDY View Post
    This could be the cheaper option for those happy with say 300 - 350 bhp, what about putting an LSD in there Oli. I know it's £££, but if this is the part needed, it will be a lot less than the OM2 route plus a huge performance enhancing upgrade.
    I thought about a LSD in a jc5 but it'll cost around 1200 and there's every chance of mashing the gear set still :/ for the extra 800 I can have a solid unbreakable O2M with a 6 gear

Post Thanks / Like

Pulled my spare Gtt boxes out the shed to make a choice of which I was gunna use, I was going to use the last Gtt box I had in the car but this is what I found when I went to inspect 5th gear

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

how about this
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gearbox-re...item20c4542269

ive got the same thing in the shed complete with drill and tap for the thread
    was going to use it on the jc5 at a later date, but then jumped in and did the 02m

East Midlands Area Rep Mr Raider's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Not good buddy, must of been giving it some beans!!! hope you get it sorted soon, thank goodness for 'project old codger'

Post Thanks / Like

That, my dear friend, is a very good effort indeed!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Woznaldo View Post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Raider View Post
    Not good buddy, must of been giving it some beans!!! hope you get it sorted soon, thank goodness for 'project old codger'
    The original failure of that box was caused while beating an Audi TTrs so it died doing a good job

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Woznaldo View Post
    I do try

Post Thanks / Like

Haven't updated this in ages so here we go.

First off as HAndy pointed out in general chat, I had a bit of an engine fire when the oil pressure gauge line ruptured and sprayed oil over a hot turbo :/
    Since my fire extinguisher failed I've now bought 2 just incase, I can't recommend the same enough.

Apart fire the pressure line, all the heat wrap was shot, the oil return was nearly burnt through and the starter wiring I'd just fixed was cooked.

The oil return was replaced with some new -8 fittings, much more secure

After no end of trouble with a dodge idle valve I've decided to go back to a proper idle screw and bought a shiny new throttle body, gunna have to paint it, can't have that much chrome.

Although not all has gone to plan, I took a trip up to my dads place in Leicester I took the 5 and she did the run just fine, right up till I was about 5 miles from home when she started to missfire badly. I got it home and a comp test revealed cylinders 1 & 2 had no compression
    At first I found 11 of the 16 lifters were seized, thanks to JP and I had 16 good ones in but no change right head off time.
    Last edited by Os8472; 23-06-2013 at 10:20.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

wow any det marks down the side of the piston

suggest that you run a thinner oil also maybe 5/40 fully no need for anything more really, my oil temps don't/didnt get anywhere near 120 degrees since the change of pipe work, which a good fully 5/40 should cope with

Post Thanks / Like

Nope no det marks, pistons, head and block are all mint. There's just burn residue where the gasket failed, no idea what caused it yet, wasn't lean, boost was set low, plenty of oil and pressure, I can only think the gasket never sealed properly from day 1 and it was only a matter of time

Anyone know where I can get an MLS gasket quickly? everywhere I've looked delivery would be after national day and the head bolts don't seem to be in the club shop anymore either

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

what did you torque the head bolts down too? if around 100nm then re use , you wont have stretched them

pec or the bay in france etc
    maybe?

Post Thanks / Like

Any updates on this

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

the stanley has chopped around the scuttle area and fitted a bigger ar turbine housing, and gone to external wastegate and uprated cams, now after 300+ bhp

he should get it with ease

will let him post up the details,when he is not so busy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HAndy View Post
    the stanley has chopped around the scuttle area and fitted a bigger ar turbine housing, and gone to external wastegate and uprated cams, now after 300+ bhp

he should get it with ease

will let him post up the details,when he is not so busy
    HAndy you don't half know how to ruin a surprise ya ppprrriiiccckkk

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

opps!!!!!! was that suppose to be one of those secret squirrel type things?

sorry

does this mean i can have your old cams to measure then dont forget to check your buckets what degrees are you timing the new cams in at, the standard marks will be miles of for those grinds between 106-112) they are both equal lift /duration dont forget

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

any updates

Post Thanks / Like

Much has been happening of late but I've been quite busy with various things so this update might be abit long, bare with me.

First off had a little tyre trouble last year

My strut brace sits right underneath the vent in my bonnet so I need something different, nothing on the market I like so time to make my own. Not complete yet but it's a start.

Needed to sort the steering wheel out, I'd fitted a 320mm sparco job years ago but more and more of late it had been annoying me that I couldn't get my legs under it properly and because I'm a tall chap my seat has to go all the way back but the wheel sits too far away, so I bought this 350mm wheel with a 3" dish, job done

Next up turbo upgrades, still my gt3071r but now with a .72 rear housing with external wastegate take off

Was getting fed up with struggling to work down the back of the engine so I kinda slipped with the grinder

Post Thanks / Like

As you can see from my pics I've rerouted as much as I can to tidy up the bay, the fuel lines pass behind the master cylinder along with the oil pressure line and wide band wiring.
    The brake fluid reservoir has been moved up into the scuttle area.
    All the ecu wiring, speedo wiring and starter wiring now drops down behind the charge cooler and comes over the top of the gearbox.
    The map sensor is in the scuttle area the vacuum line for it passes through the reworked scuttle panel.
    The boost control solenoid is in the scuttle area too and like the map sensors vacuum hose, the solenoid hose's pass through the scuttle.
    I no longer run the idle control valve but haven't had a chance to blank it off or get the boost pipe where it T's from welded up yet.

Post Thanks / Like

Along with the bigger rear housing on the turbo and the external wastegate I've added a pair of piper turbo cams and vernier pulleys. Hopefully should help the engine breath better.

As you can see here I have a problem, in that I have no idea where to route the screamer pipe :/

With a mapping session booked in I had to improvise and fit a temporary screamer pipe that stuck out over the wing while the car was on the dyno, not great but it did the job and a few hours later I had some results and some new problems unfortunately

That's 296bhp 22ft lb at 12psi
    318bhp 292ft lb at 16psi

The main problems I had during mapping was the v-band to 2 bolt adaptor for the wastegate, no matter how tight I did the v-clamp upto it didn't grip the adaptor properly, you could physically turn the wastegate through 360degrees with one hand if the scuttle wasn't there, some I'm going to flog the 38mm gate and buy a 44mm v-band gate toe do away with the adaptor and hopefully solve that problem.
    The second problem, also with the wastegate, it had a 7psi spring fitted yet it wouldn't run any less than 12psi, I'm hoping the step up to a 44mm gate will help with that as the 12psi low boost setting is vicious and scary to drive (I've not even tried 16psi yet).
    The gearbox I was using for this session was a standard GTT box, I know it won't last forever but even so after the dyno the input shaft bearing now sounds like a bottom end knock and 5th gear requires 2 hands to select.
    I have a 172 JC5 box which I'm going to have beefed up and modded to run the GTT speedo sensor, hopefully that'll hold up.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice update olly with some good figures for low boost. Now all you need is to get a bigger turbo and wind the boost up scuttle is looking good too

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

im happy for you mr stanley, youve got the 300+ bhp you where after

now start saving for the 02m and rollcage

i will start the guestimation of the jc5 lasting mmmmmm...... 8 months before it breaks,

on a more serious note, pm turbo ted about the jc5 box before you start spending £££, you maybe surprised

Post Thanks / Like

Good work Oli, - you've been a busy chap with this beast!

Post Thanks / Like

Cheers fella's a few more tweaks and she'll be ready for some Tarmac abuse

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Some good work going on there I do admire you lot that are chasing huge power figures with your engine conversions, but with all the problems that come with it ie breaking boxes etc it has put me off doing an engine conversion. It's too much for my ickle brain to get round keep the updates coming

Post Thanks / Like

I always try to have a target with a build, target 1 was 300bhp, that's double what the engine put out factory and target 2 was 345bhp, that's 3 time what my car put out when it was factory.

I've achieved target 1 and I'll be honest target 2 will only be a nicety and I'm in no rush to get there.

As for gearbox breakages, 1 of the reason I want to bring the lower boost setting down from 12psi to 7psi is to limit the power if use on a day to day basis, let's face it, you can't drive everywhere at full throttle on high boost and a lower setting will make it nicer to drive when your not in a hurry.
    With any luck that'll give a JC5 box a fighting chance of lasting more than just a week lol

Post Thanks / Like

Had a stroke of luck and managed to get a tial MV-R 44mm v-band water cooled wastegate reasonably cheap and it turned up today.

Got that beauty fitted with the 7psi spring and fitted to the car and ready for testing

Post Thanks / Like

Keep us updated mate!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tutuur View Post
    Keep us updated mate!
    Will do fella, how goes your 9?

Post Thanks / Like

It's okay, still goes well but lot's of stuff is still not completely at wish.

Kinda demotivating a lot of the times i'm thinking to improve something there's always another issue coming up....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tutuur View Post
    It's okay, still goes well but lot's of stuff is still not completely at wish.

Kinda demotivating a lot of the times i'm thinking to improve something there's always another issue coming up....
    I know that feeling :/

No matter how's my jobs I get done something else is waiting around the corner ready to bite :/

Post Thanks / Like

Feels a bit dissapointing sometimes....

All that hard work, fabrication and money into but there's always something to complain about.
    And no it's not me, i'm sure other people will find it a pig to drive, i just know how to handle it

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

the 44mm wastegate will help with the min boost, i would also look at the seimens boost soliniods, ie increase the wastegate reation time, so it opens more slowly, that will help with traction issues and possible spiking also if possible? or buy a boost controller that can adjust

Post Thanks / Like

This thread back on Page 3!!!! Bloody hell I've been away too long.

sorry I've been away for so long chaps, been having some personal issues and loss of faith in cars :/ but now I'm back and the 5 is back too, last year around July I bought a 3 series bmw and tucked the 5 away for a winter hibernation and improvement but she didn't get a look in for months, that was until a mate took me out in his freshly turbo Clio 172 and the boost bug bit hard again.

ive replaced the ****ed drives side driveshaft and fitted a new speedo sensor/wiring.

the fibreglass valver bonnet was proving more hassle then it was worth on mine because of high speeds so I've had an all steel item fabricated, much nicer fit, no distortions and it doesn't move around at high speed (pics to follow soon). As such the fibreglass item is for sale, I can bring it to frog of the pod/retro show if someone wants it £250.

my new redesigned front bumper is being paint Tuesday so hopefully will that back by the weekend so I can get the bigger oil cooler on and look at finishing the splitter.

After being given the run around because of the piss poor quality replica ph1 grill I bought (still not got my money back) and buying 2 supposedly good condition ph1 grills that turned out to be complete garbage. I've finally found a resonably good condition item, a few minor tweaks to clear boost pipes and a minor repair it'll go for paint along with bonnet soon, hopefully in time for frog of the pod/retro show .
    Likes James5 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome back! Hope to see the progress pics.

Who supplied the replica grilles? Good to know which ones to avoid.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Trevhib View Post
    Welcome back! Hope to see the progress pics.

Who supplied the replica grilles? Good to know which ones to avoid.
    It's been well documented on the Facebook page about the sh*t quality of the replica grills, mainly because although u buy them from different companies but they all seem to come from the same source and same piss poor moulds :/

Post Thanks / Like

Good to see you back Oli.

Post Thanks / Like

the new all steel bonnet
    new bucket seats and 4 point harness

The pics of the poor fitment with these replica grills

Likes Mr Raider liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Good stuff fella, new buckets look great, looking forward to seeing it at Pod .

Committee, South East Regional Rep James5's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Looking good, hope to catch up with yourself and the car at Retro day :-)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Os8472 View Post
    It's been well documented on the Facebook page about the sh*t quality of the replica grills, mainly because although u buy them from different companies but they all seem to come from the same source and same piss poor moulds :/
    Ah right. Not on FB. I was just wondering if they were the same as those advertised on here a while ago, i.e. these: https://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthrea...-Fibre-and-FRP

They still appear to be available through EvoBits at £100.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Trevhib View Post
    Ah right. Not on FB. I was just wondering if they were the same as those advertised on here a while ago, i.e. these: https://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthrea...-Fibre-and-FRP

They still appear to be available through EvoBits at £100.
    Yep there the dodgy ones, they like the rest seem to all come from the same manufacture in China, the excuse I was given when I complained about the quality is that they were the first test batch and they would send out a replacement as the next batch came in, did they? Did they fu*k!

the next contact they offered a refund, against did I get it? Did I fu*k!

Post Thanks / Like

Very bad form.