Post Thanks / Like

coolant bleed valves

could someone point me in the right direction.

most of my pipework is custom routed etc.
    i basically need a coolant bleed valve, i need to fit it to were the original ones were. im unable to use the oe ones as as mentioned my pipework is routed different.

im looking for something similar to a bleed valve you would use for adjusting boost[under bonnet type].

just another thing, if the header tank has been moved behind the scuttle[highest point] is it nessesary to have both bleed nipples?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: coolant bleed valves

Technically you could make do with just the one bleed point, but having more makes it easier, especially pre-stat opening.

Have a chat with Paul B - see if he can get you the part nmber of the bleed nipple found on the 11t - iirc, its the hose from the header tank to the heater matrix... basically a plastic in-line bleed tap suited to the ID of the water hoses.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny Tim View Post
    thats exactly what im after....shame there in black though as my hoses are orange

but still,if there the only ones out there they'll have to do.

does anyone know the diametre of the small and large bleed hoses?

also is there not the weld on type bleed nips available.?

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

If the header tank is the highest point then no need for a bleed nipple atall, you'd route a narrow hose from the highest point of the coolant system in the engine bay to the top of the header tank, it'll circulate air out on its own. Thats how most any other engine works that doesn't have bleed points. If you do this you'll need to drill holes in your stat.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scoff View Post
    If the header tank is the highest point then no need for a bleed nipple atall, you'd route a narrow hose from the highest point of the coolant system in the engine bay to the top of the header tank, it'll circulate air out on its own. Thats how most any other engine works that doesn't have bleed points. If you do this you'll need to drill holes in your stat.
    thanks for that, tbh i dont want to be drilling hole in the stat,what exactly would that do besides causing a constant steam to flow? id like at least 1 bleed nip in situ just incase of any issues that may or may not occur.

also while on the subject what issues would arrise if i were to loose the swirl pot.?

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

A couple of small holes in the top of the stat allow it to bleed up through a single high spot, otherwise you'd need atleast 2 bleed points, one before and one after the stat. You bleed when its cold, so the stat is shut solid, you need some flow over it. the holes arn't big enough to stop the stat doing its job.

But, if you want bleed nipples for the sake of it then dont bother doing any of the above.

If ever I wanted a bleed niple in a custom pipe I used to weld a nut in to a section of tube and use a short bolt with a copper washer under it.

Post Thanks / Like

A couple of small holes in the top of the stat allow it to bleed up through a single high spot, otherwise you'd need atleast 2 bleed points, one before and one after the stat. You bleed when its cold, so the stat is shut solid, you need some flow over it. the holes arn't big enough to stop the stat doing its job.

But, if you want bleed nipples for the sake of it then dont bother doing any of the above.

If ever I wanted a bleed niple in a custom pipe I used to weld a nut in to a section of tube and use a short bolt with a copper washer under it.
    ok out of interest what size holes would you drill in the stat?

that nut and bolt mod sounds about right

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

a couple of 3mm holes at the top works fine. I do this to alot of stats, it helps the bleeding up proccess in a standard car too.

Post Thanks / Like

a couple of 3mm holes at the top works fine. I do this to alot of stats, it helps the bleeding up proccess in a standard car too.
    well i never knew that. looks like ill have to go ahead with it then where abouts on the stat do you drill.? i dont want to get it wrong! any pics to show this?

Post Thanks / Like

New poster! (less than 10 posts)

demon tweeks have a device that will fit in any silicon pipe not sure on page number.