Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Another perc fan question

Firstly, I have problems with hot starting that are bugging me. I recently got a new battery because my old one couldnt sustain the length of time I need the crank the car.

My new battery was gradually getting weaker every morning to the point it woulnt turn over and I came to the concolusion that the perc fan was draining the power when I pulled up in the evening and when I went back to start in the morning it was drained.

I beleive its the bearings and as this is probably draining more power than needed by the extra friction its also not providing the RPM to actually cool down as quickly. Therefore, staying on for longer. I have it unplugged at the mo and its great for cold starting.

I am keeping the car original and do beleive the perc fan helps with hot starting so...

What is out there on the market for replacing the perc fan?. Do I go original from renault or are one of the uprated ones good?.

I do use my car everyday so need to be reliable and i'm willing to buy gen parts to do that. I'm also concerned about the battery life and thinking of wiring up a second new battery.

I can imagine taking it for MOT and the guy jumps in to start it and runs the battery flat LOL

Any thoughts appreciated, I know it might be a no brainer but its a common problem and some of you must have found a solution

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Another perc fan question

I reckon the new battery will cure your problems. If the perc fan is working normally & sounds fine when running leave it be, If it aint broke don't fix it. Lets face it all gtt's with the original carb setup start crap when hot.

Also make sure nothing electrical is draining the battery.

Post Thanks / Like

Just take the perc fan out and leave it out.

Are all the earths good on the car?

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

cheers guys,

I havnt got the perc fan plugged up at the mo because its draining the battery, so it needs replacing.

I dont have any drains - already tested

Bascially, when the perc fan was working it was not to bad at starting and I have definately noticed a bad difference since unplugging it.

The new battery has partially solved my problems, in the fact that it now has enough juice to get it started. However, as the guys at the meet on sunday can say it nearly runs the battery to nothing when hot starting.

I only need to mess the starting up once and i'm stuck out wherever I am.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

p.s earths are good

Post Thanks / Like

They do make a big difference as my brother has just found when his nearly setfire to the loom as it was pulling huge current! Get a new one and welcome no hotstarting issues!

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

My new battery was gradually getting weaker every morning to the point it woulnt turn over and I came to the concolusion that the perc fan was draining the power when I pulled up in the evening and when I went back to start in the morning it was drained.

I beleive its the bearings and as this is probably draining more power than needed by the extra friction its also not providing the RPM to actually cool down as quickly. Therefore, staying on for longer. I have it unplugged at the mo and its great for cold starting.

is the fuse fitted ?

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

is the fuse fitted ?[/quote]

Gonna check this once I fit a new one. I dont fancy an engine bay fire

Post Thanks / Like

We have two secondhand uprated fans complete in the Shop bits & bobs bin ....77 00 805 538.....£25 delivered .

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Got a new perc fan in my 11,which completely cured the hot start prob,but went out one morn,to find my loom melted! deffinately fuse the circuit to be on the safe side

Post Thanks / Like

is the perc fan sensor working correctly and not leaving the perc fan on for ages and ages causing the drain

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RICHIE View Post
    is the perc fan sensor working correctly and not leaving the perc fan on for ages and ages causing the drain

Quite sure its not staying on longer because of the sensor. You can hear its pretty ratty. I think I will get a new unit and make sure its fused . Now to find the price and part number, should be a laugh lol

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone got the part number and price for a new perc fan motor?

Much appreciate

Post Thanks / Like

on the old site i did a wiring diag to link the rad fan and perk fan via relays

basicaly wot happens is the the perk fan sensor works the rad fan and the rad fan works the perk fan but each sensor works its own fan first .

thinking further on wot might work is a primming flip switch for the fuel pump