Post Thanks / Like

Easiest way to do a leak down test ?

A mate needs to do a leak down test, whats the best/easiest way to do this ?

Basically he's bought a new turbo (big one) & it leaks slightly from the rear. Spoke to the turbo company & they say it could be the pressure in the sump not allowing the oil to return to the sump fast enough (gravity fed apparently, didn't know that, or due to lack of back pressure) He has suggested a leak down test 1st rather than ripping the turbo off & sending it back (although they have offered to pick it up & return it FOC if there is no prob with breathers/sump pressurising, or it can just be sent back & checked)
    I think i've explained it correctly, lol, does this sound plausable ??
    BTW, I have no reason to think the guy has been ripped off with a dodgy turbo as alot of other people have bought turbo's from this company with no problems inc. myself.
    Cheers
    Steve

Committee, South East Regional Rep James5's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Easiest way to do a leak down test ?

A couple of pics of the turbo oil leak that I took last night so apologies for the quality of the pic.
    You can see in a couple of the pics that the oil is leaking from where the core goes into the ex housing (which is held in place with a circlip by the looks of things no bolts)
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 5teve L View Post
    A mate needs to do a leak down test, whats the best/easiest way to do this ?

Basically he's bought a new turbo (big one) & it leaks slightly from the rear. Spoke to the turbo company & they say it could be the pressure in the sump not allowing the oil to return to the sump fast enough (gravity fed apparently, didn't know that, or due to lack of back pressure) He has suggested a leak down test 1st rather than ripping the turbo off & sending it back (although they have offered to pick it up & return it FOC if there is no prob with breathers/sump pressurising, or it can just be sent back & checked)
    I think i've explained it correctly, lol, does this sound plausable ??
    BTW, I have no reason to think the guy has been ripped off with a dodgy turbo as alot of other people have bought turbo's from this company with no problems inc. myself.
    Cheers
    Steve
    Lets hope its somthing simple a mate.
    Thanks steve

Post Thanks / Like

No worries mate, it's a big fooker ain't it, or does the camera add 10 lbs

Post Thanks / Like

The camara never lies