Post Thanks / Like

volvo help

ive spent most of the day trying to remove the head from my 460 turbo my hands are a fecking mess, skinned to feck!

there seems to be so many unreachable areas access to turbo is rediculess

anyway, i cant seem to get the head off

all headbolts are removed.
    exhaust unbolted from turbo.
    exhaust man support bracket undone.
    all hoses removed.
    timing belt removed.
    over engine inlet manifold removed.

basically its all clear around the head so i was hoping it would simply lift off!

the only thing thats left on is the cam sprocket and the half of the timing cover which is behind the sprocket.

ive tried lifting the head off but it wont budge! ive wacked it with a mallet too.

is there possibly something that ive not removed thats holding the head down?

also, can someone confirm that when looking from the front, the front right headbolt port has any oil way or something? as that headbolt came out dripping with oil

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: volvo help

don't be shy with the mallet, it'll just be stuck to the gasket & gasket stuck to the block.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scoff View Post
    don't be shy with the mallet, it'll just be stuck to the gasket & gasket stuck to the block.
    you recon? ive been proper going at it, even got some legs involved

just thinking, from looking at the timing cover thats half thats behind the cam sprocket, does it have a locating dowel on the engine block? it looks like a dowel! would this not stop me from removing the head as the dowel is on the block?

also,will the head come off with the ex/in manifold + turbo still attached? as i cant physically remove the turbo in situ! theres no room

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

the only dowels I know of are between the block and the cylinder head. the back plate behind the cam sprocket can stay there, it comes off with the head. the manifolds (exhaust and bottom half of inlet) can stay on the head too.

it should come off try levering it (I don't mean lever against the mating faces, lever against something else on the head) to try and pry it up and off the block. there's no wet liners so no harm in pulling the head up and off.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scoff View Post
    the only dowels I know of are between the block and the cylinder head. the back plate behind the cam sprocket can stay there, it comes off with the head. the manifolds (exhaust and bottom half of inlet) can stay on the head too.

it should come off try levering it (I don't mean lever against the mating faces, lever against something else on the head) to try and pry it up and off the block. there's no wet liners so no harm in pulling the head up and off.
    ok, will give it another shot tomorrow thanks.

also any ideas on this oil gallery in the headbolt hole.?

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

I can't remember where the oil way comes up, but your probably right. it'll be visible once you've removed the head anyway.

Trader
    Nocturnal Developments
    Post Thanks / Like

there's a dowel at the bac centre of the head, i find the method of twistin the head easier. also i seem to think there's a 10mm nut thru the bac cam cover, but into the block, poss behind the lower cover ?? turbo will have to come off to clear the bulkhead, plus the weight of head, manifolds n turbo are a bit hard to manouvre

Trader
    Nocturnal Developments
    Post Thanks / Like

oh and i think the front rite bolt runs thru to where the bung is fitted to test crank tdc, think the thread just runs thru to the sump

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Haz View Post
    there's a dowel at the bac centre of the head, i find the method of twistin the head easier. also i seem to think there's a 10mm nut thru the bac cam cover, but into the block, poss behind the lower cover ?? turbo will have to come off to clear the bulkhead, plus the weight of head, manifolds n turbo are a bit hard to manouvre
    im finding it impossible to remove the turbo unit! i have loosened the unit but it simply will not slide all the way off the 4 studs as the bulkhead is in the way.

Post Thanks / Like

IDIOT

i couldnt get the head off as i forgot to undo the turbo oil return hose

anyway the head is off now and from looking at the head gasket im assuming it was leaking!
    would rust on a fire ring and in the same cylinder confirm the the head gasket was leaking?

ive yet to check the cylinder head for flatness, hopefully its just the gasket at fault and not also a warped head

does anyone perhaps know if corteco meillor do headgasket/sets for the b18ft engine.? or any other decent brand for that matter?

Post Thanks / Like

abit of advice needed.

ive just had a look at the head and i can confirm the head gasket must have been leaking as from looking around valves 1&2 i can see that the heads water gallery has rusted past the fire ring in 2 places.
    now my concern is that one of these rusted spots feels a little deep!
    how can i work out if a skim will sort this without taking over the limited amount off the head.?

i just dont want to pay for a skim for it to turn out not usable.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Post Thanks / Like

i didnt think you could skim these heads?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkie View Post
    i didnt think you could skim these heads?
    ive asked the same question, ive been told by a few that have had these heads skimmed thats its ok to do it within reason

that going to be abit of a arse if i cant skim the head

Post Thanks / Like

I would probably oil stone that head Raj. Or you could just take it to a machine shop for advice on wether the skim would be suitable.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MATT C Ringworm Tuning View Post
    I would probably oil stone that head Raj. Or you could just take it to a machine shop for advice on wether the skim would be suitable.
    matt what do you mean by oil stone it.? do you mean use one and do it myself?
    Last edited by raj; 26-03-2009 at 23:32.

Post Thanks / Like

think i'll just take it to get skimmed eh. i mean would there really be any issues even if they say took 1mm off the head.?

id also like to know if its the ES models cam that you can fit to the turbo model without any mods to give it a bit more lift.?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by raj View Post
    matt what do you mean by oil stone it.? do you mean use one and do it myself?

Yes mate, nice flat stone and a piece of glass, might save a few quid or not.

Post Thanks / Like

do you think it would be ok if i were to give the cylinders a light rehone without removing the pistons? the rings seem to be ok but the cylinder walls are very shiney.
    i was thinking of moving the pistons so they sit at the lowest point before i give each cylinder a rehone.!.?

Post Thanks / Like

right then,

ive fully reconditioned the head, every things refiitted apart from a new timing belt.

thing is, i need abit of help in sussing out why ive got this pipe left over in the first pic

im unsure if ive re-piped it up wrong

pics 2 and 3 show the route of a pipe from the throttle valve housing to the vac operated bypass valve located on the turbo inlet/air flow meter hose.
    also in pic 2 the pipe that goes over the dizzy cap is coming from the fpr to the throttle valve housing.

pic 4/
    the white pipe leads to either the turbo inlet/air flow meter hose OR thr turbo to i.c hose. sorry i cant remember this one

the orange hose goes to the actuator, and the black hose just above it goes to the side of the turbo.

pic 5 is of 2 pipes going to the opposite side of the throttle valve housing. im unsure where these come from.

Post Thanks / Like

and this only leaves a part that seems to be missing a pipe,

if you can see the black plastic dumpvalve looking thing on the front of the cylinder head it has a small pipe connection like a dv would have

Trader
    Nocturnal Developments
    Post Thanks / Like

hmmm that pipe could go anywhere lol. the pipe that ya have missin from the oil separator at the front of the block should be approx 15mm pipe covered in foam which runs back to the inlet pipe just before the turbo. the vac pipe in the first pic looks like the little pipe goes on the throttle, i'm gusssin the one on the rite goes to the std re-circ dumpvalve, if ya still use it, the other one goes to ???

Trader
    Nocturnal Developments
    Post Thanks / Like

lookin at the pics the d/v looks plumbed up as with other relivant bits like electronic bleed off etc. is ya fuel reg plumbed up ? the timing ecu ??

Post Thanks / Like

haz, clear your inbox mate.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll have a rumage through all my hoses and see what i come up with, i left all my little hoses attached and tipexed all the other ends and where they go so i might be able to help ya..

Rob

Trader
    Nocturnal Developments
    Post Thanks / Like

all clear, guess ya sorted ??