Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Project 172

Now are you sure you don't the engine in the back

Post Thanks / Like

Picked the Twingo up today, as well as some R19 16V wheels, took a few pics. The tyres are shot and 195/50/15, so a bit big.

just got it off the trailer:

just popped a wheel on to check for clearance

4 of the 5 look to have been painted in crackle paint - which is a shame. Still, they seem to fit the front OK:

and the rear, although they are tight on the handbrake cable, may need a small spacer, or may be ok with the cable pulled out of the way:

yes, the rear does have coil overs, so plenty of chance to have adjustable platforms all around The rears fill the back out quite nicely:

it was all a bit of a rush as it was getting dark

I should be picking the clio up tomorrow morning, I'll be able to check whether the R19 wheels clear the 172 brakes, if so I think I'm going to keep them, I think they look suitably subtle on the Twingo

Non-member Penfold aka The Dealer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Wheels look good Andrew, if you want me to give them a refurb/lick of paint let me know.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Penfold View Post
    Wheels looke good Andrew, if you want me to give them a refurb/lick of paint let me know.
    that's really tempting, it's a pity you're so far away. Much as I hate painting wheels, I think these could do with a lick of original grey. I'll find out tomorrow if they clear the 172 brakes, that's the next big hurdle.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Cooke View Post
    that's really tempting, it's a pity you're so far away. Much as I hate painting wheels, I think these could do with a lick of original grey. I'll find out tomorrow if they clear the 172 brakes, that's the next big hurdle.
    I dont see why they wont clear the brake's, i know the ph1 have 15's & the ph2 has the same brake set up so it should all be good.

My cup wheels look good now there painted, they look like new

Committee, South East Regional Rep James5's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Looking good matey and suprisingly enough the wheels do so suit the little twingo

Post Thanks / Like

another busy day out on the road, picked the Clio up. Tried an R19 wheel on the front and they fit fine so it's all go with the wheels. The Clio didn't have any wheels, so I took a set of 15's with me, fitted them, dropped another rim onto the floor so that I had somewhere to sit, fired it up and drove it onto the trailer. Apparently it has a recent cambelt change, certainly the aux belt tensioner looks new.

Post Thanks / Like

right... having stripped the tyres off the wheels yesterday I decided that they needed a bit of TLC before fitting the new tyres (ordered a set of 195/45/15 T1R Toyos..).

Dropped the first rim into the grit blaster today, got rid of the nasty crinkle finish and it's come up quite well - just 3 more to go

weighed the rim, 7.9Kg plus 250g for the centre cap actually, not too bad...

I've now reached the limit of my expertise, I'm going to flat the surface a wee bit before paint - just to clean up the fragments of paint that remain (suggestions as to what I should flat with...), but as per the other thread, what next? I want an OE type grey/silver finish, how do I achieve it with the paints generally found in my local automotive shop?

Maybe I should just drive them down to Penfold

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey Andrew,

Have a look at this LINK to my mate's report on how he did my alloys.

Might give you some ideas?!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Big Steve - Raider View Post
    Hey Andrew,

Have a look at this LINK to my mate's report on how he did my alloys.

Might give you some ideas?!
    your mate has 'issues'

Post Thanks / Like

Cool project

I found a twingo in my local scrappy yesterday... first time ive had a good look round one... so tiny

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

your mate has 'issues'

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Winston View Post
    Cool project

I found a twingo in my local scrappy yesterday... first time ive had a good look round one... so tiny
    indeed, about the length of a real mini, just a chunk wider (I was parked next to one yesterday)

How complete was it? I might needs some bits, and they're pretty rare.

Post Thanks / Like

It looked to be pretty much complete... you could prob get the whole car for cheap or if you need anything give me a shout i can always pop in

http://www.autosaveltd.co.uk/autosave_main.html

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone want a set of these, i had a set refurbished a couple of years ago!

Post Thanks / Like

What crappy weather... I've been outside dodging hailstones pulling a few bits out of the Clio engine bay that I don't intend to use. I've got the ECU out ready for fettling. The plan is to strip everything off the clio that won't be going into the Twingo to ensure it'll run when I do the swap. I don't want the car to be off the road for ages whilst I scratch my head over the wiring.

Something I'm interested in is interrogating the OBD stuff, might make fault finding simpler..... I'll take any advice offered on this, at the moment I'm thinking I'll just go the RSTuner route.

I stripped all the wheels during the week, so had a go at painting them today. Fortunately I'm not a perfectionist, thus the job went OK one can of grey primer, 2 cans of alloy wheel paint and one can of lacquer later.... btw, due to the weather I sprayed them in the house, probably not one of my best ideas, the house is now cloudy and stinks

If the weather is OK tomorrow I'm going to have a stab at fitting the clio brakes onto the Twingo...

Post Thanks / Like

looks good.

In house is best as they dry better...

Did my old set at my paint house in there kitchen.... stank for days and they kept on finding things with a green dust on for weeks after.

Post Thanks / Like

me and my friend were spraying a set of mgzr wheels ages ago. He had a spray booth but it was outa order so we decided to spray the wheels in his living room in front of the gas fire. All was fine unil the 3rd wheel when he wept the car across the fire, the room lit up like a bonfire, he lost his eye brows and arm hair, it was very scary , but funny at the time. By the project looks spot on , poor clio there though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by djinuk View Post
    me and my friend were spraying a set of mgzr wheels ages ago. He had a spray booth but it was outa order so we decided to spray the wheels in his living room in front of the gas fire. All was fine unil the 3rd wheel when he wept the car across the fire, the room lit up like a bonfire, he lost his eye brows and arm hair, it was very scary , but funny at the time. By the project looks spot on , poor clio there though.

Post Thanks / Like

Something I'm interested in is interrogating the OBD stuff, might make fault finding simpler..... I'll take any advice offered on this, at the moment I'm thinking I'll just go the RSTuner route....
    what do you need to do to it? i have kit that can read the ecu, tell you what it sees from the sensors, delete error codes etc etc. i cant reflash or tune it though.

Committee member
    Rats Nest Tuning
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkie View Post
    what do you need to do to it? i have kit that can read the ecu, tell you what it sees from the sensors, delete error codes etc etc. i cant reflash or tune it though.
    What do you use mate, I need to reset the lights on my 182... Guess i could take it to the garage but that would be too easy!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkie View Post
    I'm not too bothered about reflashing, it's more about knowing what's going on with the engine. It's possible that I'll be able to butcher the loom and it'll all work first time....

Post Thanks / Like

You can buy ecu/fault-code readers from RS/Maplins/Farnell, even Ebay. About £30 or so. As said, you can't reflash the ecu or anything like that with them, but you can read (and delete) the fault-code(s).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mart View Post
    You can buy ecu/fault-code readers from RS/Maplins/Farnell, even Ebay. About £30 or so. As said, you can't reflash the ecu or anything like that with them, but you can read (and delete) the fault-code(s).
    yeah, I've seen the cheap readers, but I'd like to see what the sensors are doing rather than rely on an error code. I know the RSTuner can be used with a laptop to log what's going on, although it's not clear how much you can log (an extra E20 allows you to plug a wb lambda sensor in and log that too). The Twingo has very little in the way of clocks, just a light to tell you the engine has boiled over

Post Thanks / Like

Why not simply go after-market? eg, Adaptronic?

Post Thanks / Like

Why not simply go after-market? eg, Adaptronic?
    because it's simpler and cheaper not to. As you're prone to saying - Regie got it right first time

I've just been looking under the 172, it's got the split RH driveshaft, looks like I'm going to try and use the 172 shafts. I'm getting way too optimistic now, thinking I can use the 172 springs, dampers, brakes, and now driveshafts

Post Thanks / Like

Of course

Ok, cheaper alternative idea No.2 - Couldn't you just 'borrow'/knock up some clocks from work & plumb them in to keep an eye on things? Could even retro-fit an uber reliable (!) set of gtt/clio 16v/172 clocks...maybe

Post Thanks / Like

Of course

Ok, cheaper alternative idea No.2 - Couldn't you just 'borrow'/knock up some clocks from work & plumb them in to keep an eye on things? Could even retro-fit an uber reliable (!) set of gtt/clio 16v/172 clocks...maybe
    I don't want to clutter the inside up, the twingo doesn't have a dash, and I'd like to keep it that way. It'll ruin the effect if the inside looks like a eurofighter

that said, I do have the racetechnology dash...

The little digital thing like duncs has might work if I hid it inside the ashtray...

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't get very far with the suspension, the top nuts didn't want to move, I'll borrow a rattle gun from work tomorrow...

So, instead of playing with suspension I started stripping the extraneous ****e off the Clio, and boy is there a lot of it... the engine is now starting to look a bit smaller...

Unfortunately I also looked under the Twingo bonnet again, there isn't much in the way of space in there

I've got the ECU ready to send, I've decided to send it to ECUClinic to be made "free running", I don't want to rip too much out of the 172 loom until I've had it running again.

I could now do with a "GTX" alternator bracket, let me know if you have one available...

Post Thanks / Like

Soon cracking on mate...

Post Thanks / Like

I got to have a try at fitting the Clio suspension on the Twingo last night, it looks close enough that I'm going to try and fit it all when the engine goes in. At the moment it's sitting a bit high, but I think the new engine will sort that No pictures as it was all a bit "experimental"

Finally had the tyres fitted to the wheels today, they need to go back to have shorter valves fitted next week. I couldn't resist popping them on. I think they look a bit better than they did before I painted them:

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't do much over the weekend, the ECU hadn't arrived, so I spent some time unbundling the loom from the engine bay fuse/relay box to the pump/throttle/OBD connector. I'm beginning to understand what goes where in the Clio.

I'd planned on leaving the engine swap for a while, but two things have brought this forward
    - my neighbour is having some building work, and the scaffolding means that I can't get my car off the drive for a couple of weeks
    - I have next week off work.

Unfortunately the plan of firing the engine up in the Clio with minimal wiring and an unlocked ECU has gone out of the window as I still don't have it back, and apparently won't until next week. I'll hold off pulling the engine out as long as I can, but the reality is I probably need to be bolting it into the Twingo on Sunday if I stand any chance of getting it runninng in the near future. I'm going to start by pulling the Twingo apart, and see how things go from there. Bouyed with optimism having seen how easily James has got his 172GTT running I'm going to be wiring and running the ECU for the first time in the Twingo

Anyway, some pics, firstly the Twingo engine bay, as you can see, the 1.2L C series engine is squezzed in there, just as well the 172 is a similar size

again, to remind myself, the Twingo engine bay fuse/relay box is a complicated thing

of course the Clio has about 4 times as much stuff in the equivalent box. I pulled the various bits out of the Clio box and removed it to leave just the wiring to look at:

Post Thanks / Like

You know, I went to Paris for the weekend and i'd never really seen one of those Twingo's before. Without even thinking stereotypically, nearly every car we saw was a Renault and a Peugeot. Not to mention I must have seen about 100 of those early Twingo's in the three days we were there.

Post Thanks / Like

Andy, get this project finished and sell it to me.

Post Thanks / Like

Andy, I am sure you will have better luck than me as I am just special

Keep the pics flowing mate am loving it

Post Thanks / Like

Just turbo the 1.2 & be done

172 lump will be tight in there!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brigsy View Post
    Just turbo the 1.2 & be done
    that would be too easy, I have all the bits to do that, and fit GTT brakes sat around in my workshop

I guess if I can't squeeze the 172 in I have that option....

Post Thanks / Like

my ECU is being posted back to me today, if it wern't for the bank holiday I'd be getting it in good time, as it is I'm not sure when it'll be delivered.

Post Thanks / Like

that would be too easy, I have all the bits to do that, and fit GTT brakes sat around in my workshop

I guess if I can't squeeze the 172 in I have that option....
    Your one crazy man Andy ! If you have all the bits to make that engine better i cant get my head around why you wouldn't?

Post Thanks / Like

I'm dodging showers outside today whilst trying to drop the engine out of the Twingo. When the rain gets too bad I've been hacking away at the 172 alternator bracket : it came to me that I could modify the lower bracket to allow the alternator to swing tighter to the block, and hopefully end up with something more compact that the volvo brackets - we'll see.

anyway, popped the bumper off, 2 bolts and it was off, this thing is much lighter than a GTT bumper, the front panel has been bent at some point, I'm undecided on whether to try and get it a bit straighter, or just ignore it. I'm tending towards ignore..

The front panel unbolts on the Twingo giving excellent access. It's not difficult to remove, just a few bolts, and you need to remove the inner mud guards to get to a couple of the bolts, and the side repeater wiring. I found about 1Kg of sand behind each inner guard - I'm sure there is a story there, I might give the previous owner a call

I also pulled off the front legs, partly because I want to fit the 172 ones, and partly so the driveshafts can stay in the box when I pull it out.

at this point I just need to remove the gear linkage, fuel lines, and exhaust before lifting her out.

Post Thanks / Like

Going well mate. Love the improvised axel stands, great idea

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

I've been having issues with my alternator bracket / alignment the last couple of weeks, throwing belts or squeeking. Solved now and I can reccommend Camskill for the belts - I had to order a couple of different sizes until I was happy, next day delivery both times off their website. Plus they seem to do the whole dayco range, so any size you can imagine

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scoff View Post
    I've been having issues with my alternator bracket / alignment the last couple of weeks, throwing belts or squeeking. Solved now and I can reccommend Camskill for the belts - I had to order a couple of different sizes until I was happy, next day delivery both times off their website. Plus they seem to do the whole dayco range, so any size you can imagine
    did you go for 6pk or 5pk?

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

6pk, I was throwing 5pk off but 5pk would no doubt have worked fine once I solved the alignment problem.

Post Thanks / Like

just pulled the engine out, got a table booked for 7:30, gotta scrub up and run

Post Thanks / Like

Bloody hell Andy that was quick keep the pics coming.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by James5 View Post
    Bloody hell Andy that was quick keep the pics coming.
    if the weather is OK tomorrow I'll be stripping the clio down to the same state, ideally I'll be seeing what fits where on Sunday. Taking them apart is easy, it's the making all the bits fit together that's going to take the time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scoff View Post
    6pk, I was throwing 5pk off but 5pk would no doubt have worked fine once I solved the alignment problem.
    Just ordered a 5pk865, I cut and shut the standard belt to get the size. It looked like the 6pk was going to rub on the timing belt cover, so I took the safe option.

If it doesn't fit under the bonnet at that I can modify the alternator bracket for even more swing.

Post Thanks / Like

On the 225 its a 7pk crank pulley and alternator pulley. I running a 6pk at the moment 865mm

Post Thanks / Like

today started a bit slowly after a trip to the pub last night, I also realised that I needed to buy some food . With the help of a thread on here I popped into our high street car spares place and bought a tube of TigerSeal to fill the holes in my engine mounts - I figured the standard ones weren't up to handling 3x the power. In the end I only did the rear one as I'd like to try and get new fronts. No pictures because it isn't pretty

Pulled a few bits out of the twingo engine bay, wiped a few bits, then got bored.

I'd been delaying pulling the engine out of the clio, but I really needed to get it out, so I pulled the trailer forward, and used the ramps as a makeshift ramp, pushed the clio back onto the 'ramp' and started unbolting. Getting the engine crane onto the trailer on my own necessitated dismantling it first. Anyway, long story to short, I now have the suspension off, the engine is sat on the floor, and I just need to lift the car off it. The call to the pub stopped play again..