Lowering

contributed by Karlos
How to reset the torsion bars

Here's the run down for the alteration of the rear torsion bars, which is cheap and looks the dogs....

1. Jack the car up, rest chassis on axle stands and spray torsion bar ends with some PlusGas dismantling lubricant or WD40.

2. Remove wheels and the shock absorber lower mounting bolts. (It can, sometimes at least, be done leaving the shock absorbers fully attached.)

3. Lever caps off the torsion bars and spray ends with more PlusGas or WD40.

4. Measure distance between the top and hub shoulder and the wheel arch lip.

5. You'll need to make a spacer (old piece of exhaust) a spare nut bolt and washer (10 mm high tensile).

6. Fit the spacer over the axle tube with the bolt/nut/washer on top. Tighten the nut against the washer.

7. Wind the nut to force the bolt away and draw each torsion bar out. If its a bit sticky give it a bang.

8. Once the bar starts to move get rid of the spacer.

9. With the measurement you took subtract the amount you want to lower ie 30mm. Jack the suspension arms up to get the desired height. (You might need to jack them DOWN. With the shock absorber bolts out, I found the arms sprung upwards once the inner ends of the bars were out.)

10. When you've got the right height, refit the bars. (I (Ian S) had the bars right out so the inner end was out too. Then I just turned each bar by one outer spline at a time and tried it, if no, turned it another spline and tried, eventually it went in, about 8 or so outer splines for the drop I did. Take care to get both sides the same.) Start by tapping in by hand.

11. Knock the bar in flush with an extension bar, dont mess the end up!

12. Refit caps and dampers.

13. Take beer from fridge and gulp down very fast (may result in a misfire!)

14. Drink more beer and stagger to bed.

15. In the morning going to work chuck it round every bend (making sure the back end is lowered enough. ie don't flip the car round)

Addendum

If your bars are proving too difficult to move then here is another method often used.

It is to hit both anti roll bars through from one side.

Get a round metal bar, such as 1/2" mild steel stock, about 12" to 18" long and a very big hammer.

Rounding off the end of the bar helps as it stops the bar bouncing out of center of the anti roll bar.

Alternate between sides of the car doing ten hits each side and keep the PlusGas / WD40 /duck oil going on.

After a while the bars will start to move, keep moving them side to side and when they start to free up nicly then you can hit both out one side.

Also you can use a head bolt tight in the threaded part of the bar also use a small socket that is smaller than the torsion bar and a nut to keep it in place and smack the head bolt with a sledge hammer a few times.

If you lower it too much then the ride can be too hard and bounce the rear of the car around. This is because you've dropped it onto the rear shock absorbers rubber bump stops. This can eventually damage the shocks internals and they can stop absorbing properly or / and leak.