Dropped Doors?

contributed by Ian Simpson

Here's a photo of the tool to remove some of the door pins.

DRAPER CAR DOOR PIN REMOVAL KIT Stock No: 54585

- For the removal of hollow hinge pins
- Contents: One square handle with chemically blacked finish and three pins manufactured from chrome vanadium steel with chemically blacked finish
- Pins are a consumable item, available separately, in sizes:
- 5.5mm O.D. x 3.5mm I.D.
- 6.5mm O.D. x 4.5mm I.D.
- 7.5mm O.D. x 5.5mm I.D.

The Draper Car Door Pin Removal Kit appears on page 65 of the current Draper Tools catalogue.

A link to a mail order shop

Price between £8 to £11 inc VAT.

Apparently they are soft weak metal and bend to bits. There is an RTOC thread on this.

The original ones are 7mm but but in dialogys they list an 8mm one under bolts and stuff which they had in stock in Dec 2006.

A method
Knock the old the pins out using the draper extractor kit and take the door off, or maybe just one hinge and lean the door just enough to allow you to drill the worn area out to 8mm. A 90 degree drill might make it easier.

Then lightly hammer in there the 8mm OD 7mm ID stainless sleeve you had made. Refit the roll pin and the door swings like new again.

"Or you could use roll pins for a Vauxhal cav mark 3. These have a spring mechanism to them and you can put them in and take them out using a pair of pliers and a hammer with ease instead of normal roll pins."

Another method
My divers door was just a tiny bit dropped so I just tried simply taking hold of it and lifting. Well, what do you know, now it's too high and I'm not heavy enough to pull it down a bit!! LOL. Need to pop round to my 24 stone pal and see if he's heavy enough! I would suggest lifting with the door only just open, fully open will bend the hinges in a wrong way. And only lift it a bit. It's a fine adjustment that's needed.

Ian S RTOC Profile

Draper door pin removal kit