Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Smoke and a rattle...

New poster! (less than 10 posts)

I took my R11 T on the track last summer and whilst on the track, the dump valve pipe popped off so no vacuum control was getting to the ignition unit. Anyway, finished my run and the engine was making a ticking noise. Drove home, all was well, still just as smooth and running normally but then a few days later, with the ticking still there, I started getting smoke from the exhaust. Turn the car over, all clear then after about a minute smoke started to appear. This was at idle. I used a couple more times then left it as the smoke was starting to get pretty bad. So, my question is- what's wrong with it! The head is off it at the moment and I can't see any issues- valves look ok, push-rods seem fine but my thought is that one of the valves is slightly bent from over revving (I forgot to mention that, didn't I!) and is letting engine oil into the pistons. Oh yes and the smoke doesn't get worse with acceleration...

Cheers...

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Smoke and a rattle...

Hi, did you do a compression test before you pulled it apart ? that will have told you if the valves, pushrods, etc were doing their job.

The smoke issue sounds very much like turbo, ie, stop/start smoke at idle. or fine when cold and then smoke as it warms. the tick could be un-related. have you checked the turbo shaft for play ?

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

it's also worth looking at the manifold gasket while the head is off. they can cause a tick if it's burnt through on an exhaust port, which they do often if it's an old original one.

Post Thanks / Like

as scoff says a shame a compression test wasnt done i would still be inclined to whip the pistons out and check the rings just incase

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

I did a compression test and all was equal across the 4. The ticking noise is like a piece of metal tapping the engine assembly. I'll check the exhaust manifold gasket. There is no play in the turbo shaft at all; any other clues if it's letting oil through?

Cheers

Post Thanks / Like

could be turbo related. what colour is the smoke

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RICHIE View Post
    could be turbo related. what colour is the smoke
    It is blueish smoke. Smells of oil...

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm now really starting to think that it is the turbo causing the smoke but what about the noise? Well, it's flywheel end and i did rush to change the clutch before I took it on the track and the noise is coming from that end... Hmmmmm... I wonder... What damage would running without the vacuum hose cause bearing in mind I only did a few laps with it popped off?

Cheers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Valfrid View Post

I'm now really starting to think that it is the turbo causing the smoke but what about the noise? Well, it's flywheel end and i did rush to change the clutch before I took it on the track and the noise is coming from that end... Hmmmmm... I wonder... What damage would running without the vacuum hose cause bearing in mind I only did a few laps with it popped off?

Cheers
    does the noise go if you press the clutch in could it be the release bearing

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

No, noise is there all the time... It really does sound like something metalic 'striking' somewhere. A few people have had a look at it but couldn't really say what the noise was.