Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

what to do?

hi all been a very long time since i wrote anything up. so my 5 has been lyin in a garage now for about 3 years took of because of smoke on the over run nothin realy serious but was just annoying comin down through the gear to look behind and see a massive cloud of white smoke. so my plan was to rebuild it but im only after looking through a few f7r builds and i lik the sound of it. now it would have to be turbo as thats the point of the 5 gtt. this car i bought wen i was 17 im now 30 and havnt done any more than 1000 miles in it. long story short first time i sent the crank to get checked they made a mess of it as i had no oil pressure and the then filled with filings and scraped my new turbo at the time, so then had it apart again then built it all up and now have that smoke. but now the coolant is runnin into the sump passed a liner seal so i think my days of c1j is over. i have the 172 clio box with the speedo drive and a few other bits so wat yous all think spend the guts of 2-3k and f7r with a blower and actually get to drive the car or have anothet fight with the c1j and its carb??
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Post Thanks / Like

Re: what to do?

Personally the C1J if done right is a brilliant engine.

The issue with engine swaps is it messes with the overall feel of the car. Yes, you can get more power, yes, it's a more modern engine and possibly more reliable, but the issue is you end up with a different car and a huge amount of work!

Get the C1J built properly, correct fueling and set up, moderate boost and it will be a hoot.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: what to do?

Personally the C1J if done right is a brilliant engine.

The issue with engine swaps is it messes with the overall feel of the car. Yes, you can get more power, yes, it's a more modern engine and possibly more reliable, but the issue is you end up with a different car and a huge amount of work!

Get the C1J built properly, correct fueling and set up, moderate boost and it will be a hoot.