Post Thanks / Like

Carb top

Since finding a crack in mine, I am on the lookout for a Carb top, and also the two screws that secure the Base to the main body.

Committee, Treasurer, Memberships admin Ian S's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Carb top

By carb top do you mean the elbow 'lobster', or the top of the carb that is the top of the float chamber?

Post Thanks / Like

The part with the float

Post Thanks / Like

Dale might have some bits.

Post Thanks / Like

I have some bits as well. Will try and have a look for them

It was carb bases that were going wrong for me, with mixture screw jammed in.

Post Thanks / Like

That would be very kind of you, thanks.

On an old carb of mine I suffered the same with mixture screw ends. I managed to retrieve the broken end out by punching it back through from underneath, although this worked, the problem returned a year or so later - I think the slot in the base was damaged causing it to jam.

This cracking I have on the top is where the studs mount to secure down the inlet lobster. The threads were knackared so I helicoiled all three of them..........subsequently one has cracked as I suspect by removing material I have weakened it

Post Thanks / Like

I've found two tops, one seems OK, the other has one cracked stud surround, same as yours.

I think I have the screws. Just realised what ones. Will have to go and have another look for them. I have a box of little carb parts from Mike Spenser from all those years ago. Mostly the bits that everyone already has a few of.

Do you need any of the brackets or anything?

The carb off my car has no choke flap. This spare does. But it's not looking likely I'll ever get my 5 going. And it worked better without the choke flap. So I shouldn't need this spare to replace that one.

Postage, maybe small packet royal mail signed for, £3.95 or £4.45.

How much is a used carb top worth?

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks iain, I appreciate you taking the time to look. No i dont need any brackets thanks.

The price is whatever you want for it postage price is no problem.
    Prices of carbs have varied a lot recently - going by Facebook sale posts. Assembled and working have been between 130 and 200 latley.

South East Regional Rep
    Post Thanks / Like

I should sell my carbs and become an instant millionaire! 😜

Post Thanks / Like

I had a rummage around today and found a nearly complete carb, a base, two tops. Not sure now if there were two middles to go with those top.

I guess I need to see if I can make up a complete carb, as they are advertised a few quid, not sure they sell though.

I seem to recall that I lost a base to someone who ruined it and used one of those spare bases which then got the mixture screw broken off inside, leaving the last base that I used in the car.

That would leave at least one spare top. If there is a middle then I could put together a 2nd complete carb but with the mixture screw damaged base.

The complete carb I found has a sticking choke flap. Don't know how to clean that or get it moving as they appear to not come out.

So,

Do you need a choke flap?

If not, I could sell you that sticking one. The other one works freely.

I still feel unwell with this virus that's progressing though all the variations a cold / flu / sore throat virus can, one thing at a time. Bad sore through last week. Then switched off brain and very slow. Then tight chesty cough on Sunday. Flu and aching on Monday. Streaming nose Monday night and Tuesday.

Post Thanks / Like

Ideally with a choke flap would be preferred. Let me know what you want for it and how you would like paid and I will sort it.

Definitely get those carbs together and for sale. As long as the parts are there then they will fetch a decent price on eBay.

Sorry to hear of your sickness.. I Can sympathise - we had the vomiting virus in our house last week, 2 adults and a toddler down with it was not pretty