Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Speed season 2018

Welcome to the world of optimism at the start of another year of competition. Who knows what adventures lie ahead.

Some activity over the weekend which Ill tell you all about if/when it comes to fruition.

I have a set of 1B tyres to collect and pay for (Toyo R888R https://www.toyo.co.uk/tire/pattern/proxes-r888r)

A new set of torsion bars and antiroll bars as well as stiffer front springs to be fitted (and pay for) and I have to arrange a medical to renew my competition licence.
    Likes Matt Cole liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Speed season 2018

I take it your going stiff Russel!!

Post Thanks / Like

Oh er matron

Committee, NW Regional Rep Alex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Interested to know more about the torsion bars and springs...

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  114F46F5-90C7-4E88-8F85-77FD1E47835C.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  139.5 KB
    Likes Woznaldo liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

What they from then Russel? Much bigger and different splines I notice.

Post Thanks / Like

They are from Tony Hart at Prima Racing labelled “Renault 5 Tarmac spec” . Reassuringly expensive
    R

Post Thanks / Like

One of the trailing arm bushes is completely destroyed maybe that was the loud crack at Aintree last year.
    Now a days when I need a spare part it always evokes a sense of dread, but the club shop has them for sale. Thank you RTOC!!

Post Thanks / Like

Yes good shout from the shop. Im going to replace mine soon. I would be prepared for a right battle though as its not an easy task to undertake!

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  98F46E36-267F-4CCD-A11B-2DFC94BC04A8.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  131.6 KB

I think that I have had my moneys worth out of that bush.

Name:  50817A01-25D2-41C0-8D5D-87158A9ECF20.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  179.9 KB

The new bars in place
    Likes Thundercat, Matt Cole, tubbyG liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Christ Russel!!🤤 that's got to have been upsetting the handling somewhat.

I imagine once it's all done and tight there will be a major difference and you will have to 'learn' the car again.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RussellT View Post
    Name:  98F46E36-267F-4CCD-A11B-2DFC94BC04A8.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  131.6 KB

I think that I have had my moneys worth out of that bush.

Name:  50817A01-25D2-41C0-8D5D-87158A9ECF20.jpg
Size:  179.9 KB

The new bars in place
    Is it a conversion kit to make them bar's fit? The diameter and shape of the splines look different. How do the fit the arms and the central 4 bar yoke thing in the middle?

When you say eye watering, what sort of ball park figure are we looking at? Can you measure the diameter of the bar's too Russell for future reference?

Committee, Treasurer, Memberships admin Ian S's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Are they bars and parts from the 5 van, or another car? Or made specially for Prima racing?

Post Thanks / Like

The bars fit into the standard trailing arm mounts and the connector in the middle is also standard. The cost? Very little change from a grand.

Post Thanks / Like

So your above photo is not the small OE bar with the much thicker new bar beside it?

Post Thanks / Like

No Ian the fatter one is the torsion bar and the thinner longer one is the anti roll bar.
    Thanks Ian S thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Update
    Ive renewed my club membership, entered the Liverpool Speed Championship and the Longton and District Northern Speed Championship and sent off an entry to my first event the Aintree sprint on the 28th April. So its game on!

Also RTOC members might be interested in this

Name:  Doris in Print.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  183.5 KB

Practical Performance Car mag.
    I have no idea what the photo journalist will say about her, but it turned out to be Andrew Starkey who was a one time member of the RTOC and did work on Doris back in the 90's.
    His R5 GT turbo was called Rita.
    Likes Matt Cole, Woznaldo liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Russel, is the article written? It's a shame a quick 'plug for the club couldn't be incorporated? We value any free advertising going!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I did mention that some in the RTOC thought I was mad and that there were more accepted ways of putting EFI on a GT turbo and I included photos of Michael Tierney's manifold and throttle body .

Post Thanks / Like

Russel, I’m not sure if your rules will allow, but I’m converting my bushes to a ball bearing setup. It means a machined inner sleeve, it should wear a lot better and let the suspension move better.

I got a kit off someone on here (can’t remember who), but I haven’t fitted it yet myself so can’t really give a final endorsement.

Also might be a rules issue, but can you fit the clio2 adjustable stub axle? You can then use the Camber and toe shims.

Post Thanks / Like

The top mounts have to be standard as does The rules state “The suspension type and mountings must remain standard” “Bushes can be changed for similar polymer materials but not to spherical or similar metal joints”

Post Thanks / Like

The top mounts have to be standard as does The rules state “The suspension type and mountings must remain standard” “Bushes can be changed for similar polymer materials but not to spherical or similar metal joints”
    I thought as much. The rear stub axle shim thing might be a bit more grey?

Post Thanks / Like

What if you can't get the parts anymore?

Post Thanks / Like

Doris is a cover girl!

Name:  5DB9FA1A-298C-41A5-955D-87011872D8CF.jpg
Size:  190.4 KB

A few minor errors Ian Nixon becomes Ian Dixon but never mind.

Toyo R888R tyres fitted stiffer front springs and rear torsion bars and ARB fitted. We are still working on the brakes. I am going to try and get some Carbon Lorraine RC6 pads.

Then its off to Aintree on Saturday for the first event of the season. Rather nervous as I’m sure that where I broke the last engine even though it didn’t give way until the next event.

Wish us luck.
    Likes Matt Cole, Alex liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Keen to hear how the new suspension works. Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

The start to the season had it all mechanical failings difficult decisions, huge speeds and the tightest of outcomes.

I lined up with my new chunky Toyo R888R tyres and Uber expensive rear suspension. The last job had been to bleed my brakes for the umpteenth time and removing the front near side wheel I discovered to my horror that the inner shoulder of the tyre had rubbed on the bottom spring seat of the coil over and cut a sizeable groove all the way around.

It really didn’t look safe to compete on especially as Aintree had two of the longest, fastest, bumpiest, right handed corners of the whole year.

What to do I really didn’t want to scratch. It was 10.30 at night I was tired but I picked up my file and attacked the offending locking ring.

The weather forecast was favourable and class 1B was full. Mr Ian Butcher had sold his yellow beast and now ran a very tidy Honda Integra, Keith Stiggy Minshull was there with the 306 Rallye but that had dumped all its oil at the season opener at Ty Croes. Nigel Trundle in the Mega twin boosted Scirocco was the prettiest car in the field which was completed by a smatttering of Clio’s and the 306 of Keith’s brother in law Paul.

1st practice 15psi boost and I almost didn’t make the first corner. The brake pedal was hard but retardation was on the frightening side of disappointing as I headed for the golf course. I just made the corner but the front end bounced around albeit at a slower frequency with the stiffer front springs. I took it easy around the 2 right handers but the engine loves the track and roared down the straight to cut the light beam at 113 mph setting at time of 57.26. A time some what adrift of the pace been seen by Ian at 54.51 followed by Keith at 56.88 I dead heated with Paul for 3rd fastest.

Parked up again I checked the temp of the front brake discs 120 C and the grove in the front near side didn’t feel any deeper.

2nd practice I stiffened the front shocks and no more bouncing. I leaned on the chassis a tad more through the corners and reduced my time to a 55.52 . Ian was still the class of the field with a 53.59 Keith was still 2nd on 54.90 and his Pug was holding her fluids.

OK my near side front still seemed no worse so I thought I would give it a go. Up the boost went to full race setting and I gave it my all. The new tyres and stiffer springs combining to monster the long second corner which I took in 4th gear. I still braked hard and long for the entry into Bechers. Full respect given to the location of so many deeply disturbing incidents in the past. Still in 4th I power on and set up a lovely 4 wheel drift with the fronts spinning for grip. I roar down the straight. Up to the rev limiter and still a way to go I have to go for 5th. She didn’t like that she coughs and splutters over the line at just 110 but I cut the beam at 52.33 sec! A new PB.

Joy was shared with Ian has he had done the exact same time. His short ratio box had run out of revs before the finish. Keith had improved to a 54.24 and Nigel was 3rd on 54.97.

For the next timed run I decided not to go for 5th and just run her home on the rev limiter but that didn’t work and I was slower. Meanwhile Ian had a rerun as Keith Pug spat its dipstick out and he went down the straight like a Red Arrow with “smoke on” luckily non was on the track. I was back in my parking spot when the commentator announced Ian had bettered his first run time by just 1 hundredth of a second. The smallest and most cruel margin of victory.

Opening the bonnet to let her cool I noticed that the water bottle had split so if I hadn’t decided before I had to acknowledge that my day was done. I packed up said my farewells and not for the first time pottered home on the slow and scenic route.

All in all a very exciting day that bodes well. I’m not sure about the issue with 5th I don’t use it any other venue but when I m back Ill have to set up a camera to record the read outs on the AFR and fuel pressure gauges.

Having sold his R5 I don’t think Ian appreciated being run so close by another GT turbo. Game on.
    Likes Ian S, Thundercat, Alex, Matt Cole liked this post
    Last edited by RussellT; 01-05-2018 at 00:03.

Post Thanks / Like

Brilliant Russel!! So, all in all, are you happy with the cars modifications to the suspension?

Post Thanks / Like

1B tyres make a big difference but they aren’t “bedded in” yet the insides were hot. Suspension felt better but still not as good as Keiths 306. The brakes the brakes my kingdom for some brakes!!
    I have req a set of 10mm wheel spacers from a local small engineering firm. The new header tank and air filter have already arrived from Bob at CGB. The Carbon Lorraine pads should be here this week and the replacement Toyo R888R tyre is also on the way. My next event is on the 20th at Scammoden Dam.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Russell, do you have any links to the Scammoden Dam event, I might try getting across to it.

Post Thanks / Like

http://www.speedchampionship.com/wp-...-Regs-2018.pdf

A bit awkward to get to but there is free admission and you could park on the access road or through the paddock back under the motorway by the reservoir.

Approach from Outlane

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/....9240562?hl=en

Post Thanks / Like

1B tyres make a big difference but they aren’t “bedded in” yet the insides were hot. Suspension felt better but still not as good as Keiths 306. The brakes the brakes my kingdom for some brakes!!
    I have req a set of 10mm wheel spacers from a local small engineering firm. The new header tank and air filter have already arrived from Bob at CGB. The Carbon Lorraine pads should be here this week and the replacement Toyo R888R tyre is also on the way. My next event is on the 20th at Scammoden Dam.
    So a bit more work? Would you say going for an even heavier spring on the front would help?

I know you have suffered with brakes for a long time. I've always said on here that the original brakes are highly inadequate with not enough servo assistance and just generally a poor hydraulic setup. Maybe it's time to strip the lot out and plan for an entire upgrade?

Committee, NW Regional Rep Alex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Cole View Post
    So a bit more work? Would you say going for an even heavier spring on the front would help?

I know you have suffered with brakes for a long time. I've always said on here that the original brakes are highly inadequate with not enough servo assistance and just generally a poor hydraulic setup. Maybe it's time to strip the lot out and plan for an entire upgrade?
    I've always said standard brakes are spot on! They haul me up from over 100mph pretty nicely with next to no fade, it's one of the things I wouldn't change on the car. I would say that everything needs to be in good working order though.

Post Thanks / Like

It could just be all the GT's I've had Alex. The brakes have been pure rubbish. Rear calipers especially.

Post Thanks / Like

I have my Carbon Lorraine pads next plan is to see how they go and if still poor to look at a vacuum pump to power the servo rather than off the inlet manifold.
    I would like to try and test how much force the callipers are exerting on the discs. I did that indirectly by using a infra red thermometer. Both discs read 120 deg after each run.
    I have my new wheel spacers and the replacement tyre. The reservoir header tank and air filter had already arrived from Bob at CGB

Post Thanks / Like

I presume you have braided lines instead of the old rubber.

Hove you changed the fluid?

In 1992 to about 2000 my OE 5GTT brakes were very good. Then they went off. Never found out quite why.

Thing that made the most difference was the braided lines. By then already had new fluid, reconditioned front callipers, discs, pads, master cylinder, one way valves.

Post Thanks / Like

Braided lines new calipers new Dot 4 fluid new servo brake bias valve changed for a motorsport one. Several master cylinders. New brake lines. New one way valves.

Post Thanks / Like

I put the Carbon Lorraine RC6 pads on over the weekend and ....

instant brakes. They are truly amazing. For some reason the box says they are not for road use but I feel a lot safer being able to stop!

The pads are a lot looser in the caliper, they bed in almost immediately at the moment I cant see any down side from using them. I just have to build up my confidence to brake later.

Post Thanks / Like

Previously people have said that that make squeals and sheds a lot of black onto the wheels.

What pads previously, DS2500?

Rear pads as well?

Probably posted above somewhere, but what discs?

Post Thanks / Like

Standard discs, with a 60 second sprint or hill climb you want to build heat into your brakes. As for squeal I’d much rather the brakes squeal then me when I’m heading straight on for the golf course at the first corner!

Just the front brakes and the 4 pads cost £150. Worth every penny.

One thing I noticed the pads are significantly shorter than the Pagid road pads I was using. You could imagine as the pads heat up and expand they could jam in the calliper. It could be an idea to grind a few mm of the backing plates see if that helps.

Post Thanks / Like

I put the Carbon Lorraine RC6 pads on over the weekend and ....

instant brakes. They are truly amazing. For some reason the box says they are not for road use but I feel a lot safer being able to stop!

The pads are a lot looser in the caliper, they bed in almost immediately at the moment I cant see any down side from using them. I just have to build up my confidence to brake later.
    The " not for road use" bit mainly relates to your increased stopping distance and the car behind.

Post Thanks / Like

Not about lack of whatever vehicle approval for that pad?

There a plenty of sports cars, and Mercedes, that stop very hard but are approved for road use, I presume they chose to not put weaker brakes in to protect the cars behind but designed for minimum stopping distance.

My Citroen GS in the 1970's had big inboard front discs and metal fluid pipes to the front callipers from the high pressure hydraulics pump, braking started instantly, the foot pedal was a switch open a valve to let the pressure through. Where that system failed was the lack feel and user control.

Just the front brakes
    Does that not mean you're missing out on the 20% stopping power from the rear brakes? It's tyres that stop the car and you're only using the front two.

Post Thanks / Like

I meant the new pads are in the fronts and I left standard pads in the rear.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, and you might have even better stopping if you had Carbon Lorraine RC6 pads in the rear as well.

Then all four would give that instant bite, instead of just the fronts.

Post Thanks / Like

A beautiful sunny Sunday morning was waiting for me as I set out along the M56 bound for Scammoden Dam. The damaged Toyo R888R tyre had been replaced with a 10mm spacers on the front hubs and some surgery to the offending spring platform locking nut. The Carbon Lorraine front brake pads had been a revelation however having been used to giving the brake pedal all I had I now had to use some finesse to prevent locking the fronts.
    I arrived in good time and set up camp in a field of wild flowers
    Name:  ACB2FA0E-4557-4961-958B-E5D4097C3192.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  249.1 KB

The event was being run by the MG car club with other marques included to bolster the field which ran to just 39 drivers. I had visions of a vertigo inducing merry go round of endless car straining runs up the hill. The reality was a far more relaxed affair. We started at 10.00 and managed 2 practices and a timed run before lunch. Volunteers from the Pendle and District Motor Club ran a butty van handing out bacon buttys hamburgers and cool drinks and did a roaring trade on behalf of the club.

The hill itself was always heavily shaded by trees and hence covered in moss in parts but the nanobots had been at work since my last visit and now the trees had been cut back and the track swept and it really looked good.

Name:  B53A6170-9A0E-4745-B4BA-8EF400809EE8.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  196.3 KB

The course started with a short steep rise to a 90 left then a short straight to a very tricky blind steep uphill left. You fire at the corner in second gear all you can see is Armco and as late as you dare lift brake and turn right up into a very steep S bend the exit of which is key to a good time. The incline is unrelenting and as you head along a straight to a classic tight in and opens right grabbing third to reach the finish before you anchor on in time for the paddock entry.

Here is Harewood instructor James Kerr showing how easy it all is. It absolutely isn’t my runs were a blur of arms and legs waving about wildly like an upside down fly in your beer.
    https://youtu.be/Er8zdNX5cJo

.... to be continued
    Likes Matt Cole, WZA liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

So off we go in first practice. This didn’t go well. I had been tinkering with the launch control settings because at Aintree when I hit the cross over speed ( the road speed at which the launch control rev limit turns off and you get the “Full Monty” ) the wheels lost traction. The plan was up the cross over speed and maybe this wouldn’t happen. Obviously I had to up the rev limit otherwise you don’t get to the cross over speed in 1st. I tested this out on the road by activating LC drive off in first and see if you can drive past the rev limit point. Well that worked fine on the road but up a hill with the wheels spinning no it didn’t so I poped and banged up the hill until I realised all I had to do was put her into 2nd. That all added up to 34 seconds and plumb last.
    I was up against Steve Price in his nin turbo Subaru Impreza and a guy called John Pinder in a very nice Fiesta ST with a Duratec engine. To be honest the ST was a bit iffy with no front number plate and bits of trim missing but I’d rather have fun than win championships.

John set the class lead Steve was second and I was well last.

Easily sorted turn the LC off no problem.

Now I had a most unexpected issue. With the more grippy 1B tyres I wasn’t getting as much wheel spin which is good except when I got to the second corner where as before the wheels spun kept the revs up and the boost high now she gripped bogged down and I was left in the doldrums of turbo lag. 2nd practice and I’m still last.

OK I need 1st gear. I am going to race at at Armco barrier flat out in second brake (I was still very wary on the brakes lock the wheels and the Armco would mercilessly trash the front of your car) turn right and change into 1st all at the same time. Somehow I manage this minor miracle and she flys up the right hander. I go for second before the left and she bogs down again. I’m still last

Sod this lets throw full race boost at it. Unfortunately I get 3rd not 1st but back into 2nd and she roars up the rest of the hill. No need to over complicate the issue I just need the all that Chris at EFI parts blessed her with. I’m still last. My time of 30.08 trailed Steve on 29.52 and John on 28.22.

Run 2 after lunch gets me into 2nd with 28.61 John went lower still on 28.03 and Steve was now at the back on 29.42. That time was a new PB for me. Not all bad then.

Post Thanks / Like

Now I had a plan to drive to run 3 produced the fireworks. Doris roared up the hill, the s bend had been a blur but I just kept my foot in and did my best to thread the needle I tried to be brave into the final corner and had her maxed out in second before grabbing 3rd through the finish. That felt quick.
    I had managed a 27.99 unfortunately John had also gone quicker with a 27.98. And that was it neither of us could beat the those times so for the second event in a row I came second by 0.01 of a second. Its hard to comprehend how short a time that is. I am fast becoming the nearly man.
    Leaving the venue to head home it was obvious my Gripper diff was feeling very hot and bothered as it clanged and grabbed. I hoped all would be well when it had a chance to cool down.

Here is the victorious Fiesta ST

Name:  Fiesta ST.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  148.5 KB

And here is a link to Matt Fearless Rowe tackling the hill in his Honda S2000 with a best time of 27.43 he beat the both of us.

https://youtu.be/Tw2--SqyANs

My next event is another hill climb this time at Barbon near Kirkby Lonsdale on the 9th June. I am the current class record holder but assuming a dry day with the move to 1B tyres that will change . John says he is entered. Game on.
    Likes Ian S liked this post
    Last edited by RussellT; 24-05-2018 at 23:01.

Post Thanks / Like

Is that Fiesta on full slicks?

Post Thanks / Like

Good spot Ian. They are Nankang AR1 tyres described as cut slicks and they are on list 1B and E marked so road legal! (I checked)

https://goo.gl/images/ZYg3DD

Post Thanks / Like

Very well done as ever Russel. The good news is that all your modifications are keeping you up there, and in some cases, edging ahead!

Frustrating to read is the bogging down etc. shame you can't hire Scoff for a day and go and play on hill somewhere......

Post Thanks / Like

Just bad driving Matt. Its always a learning curve.