Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

bit of general advice, / opinions chaps.

Hi, ok so this is a bit of an odd question, wasnt sure where to put it. Here goes.

As i said in me small hello thread, ive got a 5GTT 1988 which im rebuilding.
    Ive also got a 100% stock 1985 R5 TL.

The TL is mint. (in my eyes) all panels straight, paint is incredible. Underneath clean as a whistle. All plastics present, guards, side guards, arch guards. You name it, its there. Never seen a welding torch.
    Apart from a back box, its had nothing replaced. An honest 40k motor.
    Bad point, its sat for almost 20 years in a garage. On its original wheels, on its original michelin tyres (rotted away) and a 100% seized up engine.

Now my question is:
    What to do next....
    do i leave it alone, rebuild its C1E 688 engine, polish it up and drive it round. Or sell? Whats it worth?

Or build another GTT from it? using all genuine GTT parts ive got enough to fully build at least another 1. With some left over.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: bit of general advice, / opinions chaps.

In past experience a re-shelled gtt isn't really worth any more than what the tl would be as stock.

My advise would be to get the tl to almost mint, use it and show it as an immaculate example.

If you were to sell it, good examples can fetch £1500 to £2000 now.
    Likes Trevhib liked this post

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: bit of general advice, / opinions chaps.

Hi Matt,
    Oki dokes.
    Well ive stripped the engine and found the middle two pistons well and truly stuck in their sleeves.
    Now they aint stuck and they're currently having a swim in the sonic tank. See how bad the pitting is.
    Good news is the main and big end bearings look like new. Well new plus 40k miles. So ill pull the crank next and double check it.
    I start another build/resto thread incase anyone wants a gander.
    Likes Trevhib, Alex, Ian S, Thundercat liked this post