Post Thanks / Like

Uprated GTT engine full rebuild in South of France

Hello all,
    First here is my GTT, before I rebuild my engine.
    Name:  DSC_7618.JPG
Views: 73
Size:  246.1 KB

I am the one who's rebuilding a Turbo2 (ok very slowly at my taste, but surely) in South of France.

I had a high rev incident in sept 2015 (with cold engine, so It didn't blow everything up) and since, my engine worked fine (running though,but loss of some power), I think pistons rings were tired.
    So I decided to rebuild it entirely, with 77 Wossner pistons, Forged uprated conrods etc... (if interested read my full car engine description engine on my profile)

looks like a christmas day
    Name:  1.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  292.2 KB
    Name:  DSC_2780.JPG
Size:  667.4 KB
    After assembling together pistons with rings and conrods,
    I bring my new toy parts downstairs into the garage and built the lower bottom on the rear engine shelf of the Turbo2
    Name:  DSC_2782.JPG
Views: 75
Size:  521.5 KB
    after having back my machined engine bloc, I did fit piston liners in their very order
    Name:  DSC_2783.JPG
Size:  571.7 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Uprated GTT engine full rebuild in South of France

Name:  DSC_2784.JPG
Size:  509.4 KB
    fitting pistons wasn't always easy ( as fitting anything in a tight hole)
    but I didn't loose hope
    Name:  DSC_2785.JPG
Size:  587.9 KB
    crankshaft fitted, and it was all for that day, so I tight a recommended torque all bolts, wrapped the whole thing as I will fit my sump oil and my head as it was intake and exhaust ways were machined and smoothed.

The purpose is to fit this lower bottom when I will be removing the engine from my car in only one day as I only got one garage box and the turbo2 has to go out for this.

In the meantime, I did adapt a cable speedometer as I have an RS1 clio gearbox on my GTT.
    Name:  DSC_2800.JPG
Size:  543.7 KB
    YEAH! I will finally be driving with the current speed, not with the engaged gears and checking the rev counter, like I was doing since I first fitted a megane 16v gearbox in 2012...
    Name:  DSC_2799.jpg
Size:  83.1 KB
    Likes tubbyG, Matt Cole liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

The engine swap happened a Sunday (bloody Sunday) 9 am until 9pm, actually 10pm as something came up....
    Name:  DSC_3078.JPG
Size:  622.4 KB
    As it is not my first time that I had changed, removed engines from those cars, the easiest way is to lift the front with a engine "crane" or grab arm, put some tires in half middle once engine bay is on my 2 skateboards (from childhood).
    Then I can make the engine bay rolling for an easier work around engine gearbox.

Name:  DSC_3077.JPG
Size:  537.5 KB
    here's the whole thing we are gonna dismantle with my brother.
    Name:  DSC_3079.JPG
Size:  565.5 KB
    finishing assembly of old parts on new engine bloc with the former uprated oil pump and sump oil, pulleys etc.
    Name:  DSC_3082.JPG
Views: 76
Size:  738.8 KB
    Name:  DSC_3080.JPG
Views: 76
Size:  710.9 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Then we re fitted the new bloc into the car, assembled it onto the gearbox and wrap the top again as I will deal with top head later.
    Name:  DSC_3083.JPG
Size:  690.2 KB
    Engine bloc always looks so small in any engine bay when it is just it.
    Name:  DSC_3084.JPG
Size:  488.5 KB

We put the car on its wheel, so I wanted to put back the Turbo2 into the garage.
    Then the left rear wheel bearing blow up, and the car was stuck… So we spent one hour with my brother to manage to fit into the garage again.

The day after, I discovered that it looked as bad as that. I guess when my GTT was towing it, the T2 didn't appreciated much. as those bearing must be torque with driveshaft all the time when in use.
    Name:  DSC_3088.JPG
Views: 72
Size:  208.4 KB

I have cleaned the side pump of the carburettor (triangular part) which was dirty because of the E85 ethanol. this side pump come from a R18 Turbo, it helps to set up «*empty phase*» when suddenly open up throttle when in low rev. A close friend in France who got the same car advised me to fit it. I have few spare ones though as they'll become rarer.
    Name:  DSC_3130.JPG
Size:  606.1 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  DSC_3092.JPG
Size:  555.9 KB
    I gave the top head to be surfaced then I changed the valve gaskets and some brass instead of springs of tappets rails.
    Name:  DSC_3093.JPG
Size:  598.2 KB
    Name:  DSC_3094.JPG
Size:  564.9 KB

Later on a friend fitted an exhaust wrap unto the exhaust manifold.
    Name:  DSC_3123.JPG
Size:  719.8 KB
    Name:  DSC_3124.JPG
Size:  750.4 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  DSC_3128.JPG
Size:  741.7 KB
    Uprated 77mm head gasket in place
    Top head finally refitted
    Name:  DSC_3129.JPG
Size:  754.2 KB
    things started to be back together
    Name:  DSC_3132.JPG
Size:  690.2 KB

Name:  DSC_4166.JPG
Views: 72
Size:  227.4 KB
    it is actually engine running on this one as you could see the water tank upper in order to help bleed the water system.

After running during 20mns, I did un torque and re torque again the head after 2H30 of resting.
    It is recommended to ensure the correct mounting of internals elements (mainly pistons liners and top head alignment)
    then I had a try
    yes, I was VERY Happy!
    Likes tubbyG liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I wanted to upload a video, but it is on my phone,it seems I cannot upload it.
    So now it is running fine and 200km have left before I will end my GTT low rev session and do the final carb settings.

Thanks for looking at this thread and if you have questions, do not hesitate to ask me.
    Take care!
    Likes Matt Cole liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Wonderful thread this! Ive not tried uploading a video yet from a phone. Ill try tonight!
    Likes Stylin_ju liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Cole View Post
    Wonderful thread this! Ive not tried uploading a video yet from a phone. Ill try tonight!
    Thank you Matt for reading it.
    I think it is just not possible to update a video from a phone directly.
    And I don't wanna bother to upload it on youtube though....

Post Thanks / Like

Nice upgrades and interesting to see the modification to the speedo counter.

How do you find the clio jb5 gearbox ratios in comparrison to the r5 jb3?

I really like the integrale style bonnet on 5's.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tubbyG View Post
    Nice upgrades and interesting to see the modification to the speedo counter.

How do you find the clio jb5 gearbox ratios in comparrison to the r5 jb3?

I really like the integrale style bonnet on 5's.
    Thx tubbyG! Mods done on the speedo was 2/3 hours, as I wanted it to look almost original when it is fitted on the car itself.
    I started with the Megane 2.0l 16v, which is exactly like the clio williams ratio but with longer 5th speed, then core external clip just spent its life to pop out if too much torque, So I sold it and bought a Rs1 which was 180e instead of 500e for a williams one (back in the days, now getting through the roof though)

Name:  gearboxratio.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  87.3 KB if my memory is good, the 128 or 129 is RS1 130 is RS2, and if you google it, you'll have gearbox code for williams and megane 2L 16V ( I don't know german, but alphanumeric characters are universal XD) then you'll get ratio you would like for your car

clio are JC5 gearbox types (you wrote JB5) , so internal shapes bearings (V ones?) are more reliable than JB3 from GTT. As you experienced it, the first gear on a gtt is just useless as you only feel the real torque in the 2nd gear.

Ratio is better handled on JC5 and it is more reliable, so Why bother sticking to a less reliable gearbox and with a dodgy electric speedometer which works when it fancy it?

And for the bonnet, I love the style too, and it was also functional, please see the pic as the air intake for airbox which is in between n/s headlamp and pillar suspension.
    it is where the black oil funnel is.

Name:  DSC_7454.JPG
Views: 45
Size:  476.3 KB this pic is an old one, I was so peeved about the current water hoses breaking down one by one that I decided to replaced them all in once.
    Likes Matt Cole liked this post