Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Heater Fan

My heater fan was making a horrendous rattling sound and would intermittently stop working. Then it stopped working completely. I bought a used one (the fan and motor bit) and put it in but it won't come on. Any ideas?

I don't know if the used one actually works but it looks ok; my old one has noticable side to side play in the motor which presumably was the cause of the rattle. I cleaned up the contacts up a bit, checked the fuse and took it out and put it back in again several times.. Tried the old one and the new(old) one but neither worked.

Am I right that the fan and motor simply pushes in? Seems to fit ok and spins freely.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Heater Fan

Check you have 12v at the plug with the switch on. You could bench test the new fan, bit of wire and a battery. After that it could be the roller switch.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, I have had to order a test meter as I don't have one

Committee, NW Regional Rep Alex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

It could well be the resistor which is burried in the heater box, you can just about get to it with a soldering iron to fix it. Replacement of the resistor will mean removing the heater box.

South East Regional Rep
    Post Thanks / Like

And if that's the case- change the heater matrix whilst you have the dash out! An extra ten mins and £40ish. Def worth doing.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Without wanting to state the obvious are you sure the two electrical connectors on the fan are lining up with the connectors in the heater box when you push it in ?. If you are then check for power on those two connectors in the heater box.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Not had chance to look at this again but will do over the weekend to check that power is there and bench test the motor. I don't fancy removing the heater box so really hope it not a problem in there.

Mark - there is no obvious when it comes to me and cars... I did try to line up the connectors but as the whole thing spins and is tricky to push in, it is almost impossible to tell if they are lined up properly. Am I doing something wrong?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Turbox View Post
    Not had chance to look at this again but will do over the weekend to check that power is there and bench test the motor. I don't fancy removing the heater box so really hope it not a problem in there.

Mark - there is no obvious when it comes to me and cars... I did try to line up the connectors but as the whole thing spins and is tricky to push in, it is almost impossible to tell if they are lined up properly. Am I doing something wrong?
    You dont really have to remove dash,heater box or anything,to be honest unless you want to keep a Renault 5 original then just think modification and fabrication!
    i mean in a methodical way to not short cuts,heater fan is easy to replace using for example a 6.5 slim Spal fan or equal such an easy job and more reliable fan!
    its one of those things where you need to decide how much time effort and money you really want to spend on the car.