Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Megasquirt Extra Users - Starting Issues

That sound ideal, at least the new thread will be kept in the same axis. I would personally only ever Helicoil and timesert a thread that is stripped, unless it's for a strength reason.

Plugs I always just nip them, literally just enough to stop them shaking loose, 99% of the seal is on the threads anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Woznaldo View Post
    I've got a kit that is specifically for spark plug thread repair. It comes with one piece reamer/tap. The combo tap has an M14 x 1.25 tap that picks up on what's left of the threads followed by a reamer and then the tap for the helicoil. I've seen quite a few companies doing this sort of system now. I think it was developed by German firm Volkel (but the kit is know as V-Coil).

The real question is do I helicoil all of them now or just the stripped thread??....

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Megasquirt Extra Users - Starting Issues

Quote Originally Posted by Ian S View Post
    Did the thread just strip out or did you over tighten it? IIRC, 22ft lbs is what is stated so I always use a torque wrench to make sure I don't turn it to hard.
    I fully aware that the plugs shouldn't be over tightened. That said, with some of the frustrations I've had with the car, I probably did over torque that particular plug? I think the frequency that they've been in and out probably hasn't help either!

I'm an Aircraft Technician by trade and currently studying Mechanical Engineering so you'd think I wouldn't let that happen, but we're all human.