Post Thanks / Like

Oil Filter; which one for the 5GTT C1J engine?

Hello Folks,

This topic in the Articles section is a subject that I've long been researching an
    answer to, particularly as some of the "popular" marques are seemingly no longer
    manufactured and fetching quite spectacular and stupid prices. The price of oil filters
    is going so far north it's becoming a cheque-book sport. For what is nominally a
    simple service item, that's just daft. The whole point of these parts is that they are
    changed properly and frequently.

So, as the owner of a 2L petrol turbo Renault I was rather surprised to find that
    the oil filters for the F4R engine have more or less identical dimensions as those
    fitted to the smaller, historical C1J engine. I've broached this subject here before,
    only to find objections because of presumed "oil pressure loss". To be honest, I
    didn't buy those arguments then and, having done more research since, I certainly
    don't buy them now.

If it means that I can replace the oil filter at frequencies of at least twice or more by
    using one that has been developed for the modern era, that is for engines (and oil)
    developed long after the C1J went out of production, then so be it. The idea that we
    be tempted to "stretch" the life of filters that were previously specified because of
    cost or rarity just becomes daft. So, with this overlap in mind, what should we look for?

Well, it's very simple, although finding the evidence for this simplicity has not been
    at all easy. The first bit of research is in oil pressure measurements. The absolute
    critical measurement is that the by-pass valve is not forced to open and let through
    unfiltered oil until it's absolutely necessary. Next comes the flow statistics, that is
    the filter not interfering with the oil pressure on the exit side. That can fairly easily be
    answered by the physical dimensions. In other words, if the enclosure dimensions are
    similar, then the flow will also be well within tolerances. Indeed, it could be argued
    that flow, at a non-diminishing pressure, will be as good or better with modern filters.

So, it comes down to getting accurate statistics regarding oil pressures at critical
    moments and making comparisons. Trying to track these down has not been an easy
    job. They are, thankfully, available in tech publications from Renault. For the C1J it
    came down to researching period publications. For the F4R they're found deep in the
    Dialogys system. So, to the figures...

C1J Turbo

Revs @ 750 rpm (idle) 1.3 bar
    Revs @ 4,000 rpm (turbo active) 3.2 bar

F4R Turbo

Revs @ idle 0.4 bar
    Revs @ 4,000 rpm 2 ~ 4 bar

What the figures show is that the tolerances of the 8200 768 913 oil filter for the
    later Renault engine will happily cope with the C1J engine. So that should make the
    market for paying well over the odds collapse. I've discussed this at length with Karl,
    my Renault mechanic of many years, and it's quite clear that he won't be screwing-up
    his nose at me for substituting them. He's probably more fastidious than I about these
    things, so I'm not inclined to ignore his advices at the best of times.

Like me, he's far happier that the filter gets a regular change, rather than sticking to
    what is likely to be old technology at what is becoming stupid pricing. This especially
    as the specs of the oil have not stood still in the intervening years either.

Regards,
    Steve
    Last edited by Lowiepete; 10-03-2017 at 03:55.

Committee, South East Regional Rep James5's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Oil Filter; which one for the 5GTT C1J engine?

Good research I wish I had seen the posts before, I have been using the F4r purflux oil filter's for a while on my old C1j's and my current F7pt run's one also

Committee, Treasurer, Memberships admin Ian S's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Was there any filtration sizes info?

Over the years the talk has been about particulate size.

People have said that when a turbo is fitted, finer filtering is needed to protect the turbos bearings.

Looking at the external size of a filter doesn't tell you anything about particulate size removal. Or flow really. Are there different design approaches from different manufacturers or at different price points?

As far as oil pressure, simply look at the gauge with different filters fitted and note the readings.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian S View Post
    Was there any filtration sizes info?
    Info like that is like tracking down specifications for hens teeth.

People have said that when a turbo is fitted, finer filtering is needed to protect the turbos bearings.
    The filter comes from my F4RT engine, which is a Turbo. The oil change period is
    every 12 months or 12,000 miles - double that of the C1J so my guess is that
    filtering technology has also improved over the past 25 years.

One thing I will enquire about is whether the turbo on the Coupé is oil or water
    cooled...
    Looking at the external size of a filter doesn't tell you anything about... ...flow really.
    Flow comparison can easily be determined. Similar pressures through a specific
    size of orifice, the inlet holes or the return stub, show that the modern filter has
    an almost equal flow rate to its predecessor. The difference in quoted bar pressure
    at 4,000 rpm in the F4R tends to indicate a different flow rate may be set for the
    engine on overrun. The far more critical thing is that the bypass valve does not
    open when the turbo on either car is at full chat.

Obviously, the R5GTT no longer being a daily driver means that it probably won't
    be at every 6,000 miles when the oil gets changed. So, if for example it's done at
    every 3,000 miles, the cost of the modern filter as opposed to the original has
    little bearing on a decision about whether or not to change it. Rarity of an original
    filter should not elevate it to some mystical status through some of the silly prices
    I've seen of late when equally good, or maybe better, modern service parts are
    perfectly good for the task.

Regards,
    Steve
    Last edited by Lowiepete; 10-03-2017 at 04:08.

Committee, NW Regional Rep Alex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Good stuff. This is probably what Purflux have done by superceding the old LS590 with the LS218 which can be bought cheaply.
    Likes Lowiepete liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  20170310_081554.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  76.1 KBName:  20170310_081541.jpg
Size:  83.6 KB

Visual comparison of the f4rt and CIJ oem filter.
    Likes James5 liked this post

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Cole View Post
    Name:  20170310_081554.jpg
Size:  76.1 KBName:  20170310_081541.jpg
Size:  83.6 KB

Visual comparison of the f4rt and CIJ oem filter.
    Anyone know part no of ls218..renault want long 9 diget no

Committee, Shop Manager, SE Regional Rep Bigfoot's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Think it might be 7700 274 177

Committee, NW Regional Rep Alex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

A motorfactor might be cheaper than Renault...

East Midlands Area Rep Mr Raider's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Purflux LS218's are 7700 274 177 which are OE filters on Clio 1.8 16V F7P engines. Fram PH5796 are a very similar filter to LS218's. Got a few filters in my stash for the fleet C1J, F4R, & F7P