Post Thanks / Like

The future for old cars

Has anyone thought about the future for our cars and other older cars on the road?
    i read about Paris and Berlin banning older cars at certain time and thought maybe
    the worst is to come,with emissions and other possible tighter legislation?
    what are peoples thoughts on this? what could be ways around it?

With current cars having built in safety and technology im wondering how many
    days we will be able to use older cars on the road?

Committee, NW Regional Rep Alex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The future for old cars

I hope nothing like that comes in over here. I know in certain countries you're not even allowed to modify the engine in any way . To be honest I can't see them doing anything like that here, at least not anytime soon - they've got more pressing matters on at the moment. The things that I've read relate to European countries and seeing as we've left 'Europe' hopefully we'll be o.k.............. or HAVE we left?!

Committee, Treasurer, Memberships admin Ian S's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

If it was about pollution they'd have get rid of diesels first. And the emissions cheating VW's at the front of that list.

Post Thanks / Like

Haha the emissions tests are a joke, DPF's are just a way for Diesels to get through MOTs, I would love to see the emissions tests being done whilst it is going through a regeneration cycle!

I used to to work for a company that restore Vintage Bugattis and there is a whole load of crap from Europe filtering its way through to us. Many cars are only eligible for limited mileage per year and in some country's they are only allowed to drive cars to and from an automotive shows, that's it.

Hopefully if we ever exit Europe stuff like this will be pushed aside. We have a huge industry within the classic cars in the UK, so by banning old cars they will causes a MASSIVE amount of jobs to be lost as people will no longer require repairs/parts and restoration work.

I think 80s cars are well down the list though.

Committee, Treasurer, Memberships admin Ian S's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Well there was recent talk from the London Mayor of banning cars from the London low emission zone, ie, London and Greater London, and someone told me, by old they meant pre 2006.