Re: Renault 5 GT Turbo, mid engine 4.2L V8

Name:  IMAG0254.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  43.6 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Raider View Post
    Thats gonna be an absolute animal!!!Look forward to more updates
    Thanks, I will try to upload my photos soon.
    Likes scratcher liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Isn't that this:
    https://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthrea...ult-5-GT-Turbo

What's the back story?

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome project! Definitely one worth watching.

Ash we could do with a walk through from start to finish!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Name:  IMG-20160108-WA0007.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  97.2 KB

Name:  IMG-20160108-WA0004.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  88.9 KB

Name:  IMG-20160108-WA0006.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  83.4 KB

Name:  IMG-20160108-WA0009.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  110.3 KB
    Likes Mr Raider, tubbyG liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-MEVa0-GS_E

First day I got the car running
    Likes Mr Raider liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I like Renault 5 GT Turbos and love V8 and thought it might be a good idea to combine both.
    It was very tempting to put a Renault 5 Turbo 2 style body kit on and put some wide wheels and have a lot of Tyre on the back wheels but really like to keep the understated look and keep it current colour.
    A bit of history of how I ended up doing a V8 conversation into a Renault 5 GT Turbo.I wanted a mid-engine V8 R5 years before I built my Twin-engine. I ended up getting a reply nice shell, beuitiful supercharged V8, gearbox and all the other bits the convention. When I took all the bits to the fabricator he told me OMG I have made a mistake and it's not going to fit. Well at that time I didn't know enough to do it all my self and I ended up selling all the parts and started to build my Twin-engine.

It was a hard decision to pick an engine. I was very close to pick Ford V8 and Twin turbo it. It was tempting as I had a Twin Turbo 5.0L V8 in my Sierra and know I will not be able to get similar power out of Audi V8 (within my budget). At the end reliability, compact size and all ally Audi won. I bought an engine from a breaker in UK and the engine seemed to be very clean. There was only one box to use and it was Audi transmission, this was also bought on eBay and I had all the basics to start the built.
    I will have to say a big thanks to Paul Dickens PDM who encouraged me to do almost all the work myself with is guidance.
    I would have to say when you put the engine and the box next to each other they don't look like they will bolt up.
    I started to make my own flywheel as although Audi made some manual flywheels its almost impossible to get hold of one. I ended up ordering a flywheel and clutch kit for my setup from 034 in states. I have to say the is a great quality. Unfortunately, it wasn't to be that simple. Once all fitted, the engine looked and soon realises the the flywheel and clutch are not clearing the gearbox. After a bit of grinding within the bellhousing and spacing it seemed to be OK.
    The next thing was to make the engine and gearbox months.
    I'm glad Paul was keeping an eye on things. He didn't let me cut corners and had to take my time and do things properly. One of the things that we decided to do was to connect to rear subframe and from Subframe. This has given the car a lot of rigidity without being visible. I wanted the roll cage to be hidden and we tried to hide it behind the pillars. I'm very glad with the end result, it's hardly noticeable.

Linkage and shifter needed a bit of figuring out. I tried to workout the shift pattern of the gearbox and decide on a type of a shifter I was going be looking for. I finally managed to get hold of a Porsche linkage and adopted it to work with my gearbox. I was very lucky and pleased that the linkage worked well when I first took the car out.
    The gearbox has a hydraulic slave cylinder and to operated the pedal box had to be converted to hydraulic from cable.
    Once I was happy with the all the fabrication it was time to put the engine and box in. I happen to find an A8 with 66k with documented history. I gave the car a good test drive back to London. This was a good call as I got the whole car with all the small bit that was needed and I knew it all worked perfect. The engine was taken out carefully complete with loom and ECU.
    The ECU had to go to 034 to be chipped to work with the manual gearbox. This proved to be a bit frustrating. 034 messaged me back after couple of weeks to tell me that the ECU from my A8 was not the type they can chip and I had to send an other one to be chipped and immobilizer removed. I got the ECU back after few years and we spent ages to try to get the car running but something was not correct. Finally managed discover that the immobilizer was still active. I sent the pictures of the ECU to 034 and they confirmed that they forgot to remove the immobilizer. Once I got the new chip installed the engine fired up straight away.
    Likes Mr Raider liked this post
    Last edited by Ashgtturbo2005; 22-05-2016 at 00:28.

Post Thanks / Like

Fan flippin' tastic Great story. It sounds absolutely awesome and I love the standard looks, in silver too

"I got the ECU back after few years...and....they forgot to remove the immobilizer"

Keep us posted

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Trevhib View Post
    Fan flippin' tastic Great story. It sounds absolutely awesome and I love the standard looks, in silver too

"I got the ECU back after few years...and....they forgot to remove the immobilizer"

Keep us posted
    Thanks

To be fair it wasn't after few years,,, my fault it should have said after few weeks. But I have to say it was unbelievably annoying as it took ages to figure out that they forgot to install the immobilizer defeat kit in to ecu.

Post Thanks / Like

Few weeks ago, was planning to get the MOT done but for some reason had electrical problem with wipers and horn.
    I want to get it on the road and do some miles to sort any issues it might have.
    I have let it run a few times and it stays cool and runs well.

Post Thanks / Like

I was having a bit of a problem with electrics. I managed to get it all sorted it getting very close to a stage to take it for an MOT.

The next job was to make protective shield under the car to protect all the oil, water, fuel lines running to the back of the car. I will also like to protect the sump too.

Post Thanks / Like

Finally managed to start working on the sum guard. It's purpose is more to protect the full, oil and water pipes going forward.
    Made dummy cover and got it laser cut. Couple of nights ago managed to get to fit. It was far too late to to take some pictures...
    It was dropped to powder coating and I will post some pictures as soon as it is fitted.

Post Thanks / Like

I have finally managed to fit the sump guard and new gaz shocks to the front of the car. I already had a set of New gaz fitted to the rear of the car. Now it's all marching set all round.
    Took the car for a drive it did drive very well, stayed cool, handled really well and all seems to work OK. Not a bad start for a freshly built car.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Finally managed to finish the sump guard, got it powder coated and fitted to the car.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like