Post Thanks / Like

Windows 10 ??

Anyone go from windows 7 to 10 ........micro-soft seem to be pushing it a bit ,was there any down sides or fails ect?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Windows 10 ??

Check the internet for people who have your machine and have done the free upgrade. See what their experiences are. For example, my Dell laptop has insurmountable issues with the wireless card and one or two other things when upgrading, so I can't do it. However I know lots of others with different PCs who have upgraded fine. If your machine is ok, I hear Windows10 is a decent OS so maybe go for it.

Post Thanks / Like

My laptop decided to do the upgrade one night.
    I don't like that they push Cortana and they way everything is an app and not a programme like it used to be. It makes it harder to find things.
    We had to go through and change a load of settings afterwards.
    The curser went very jumpy and slow.
    Videos almost wouldn't play.
    If you had the free version of Microsoft Office with your computer it won't work anymore (no way around it apparently).

There were a few other issues but most of them will be down to Windows 10 using its default settings which aren't optimal for whone that came with 7. It can all be rectified though.

Post Thanks / Like

I had to go through the mill a bit to get rid of the Win10 auto-downloader package, which brings with it GB's of data whether or not you upgrade, and an irritating pop-up. Managed it though. If you aren't going to upgrade you can delete the Win10 upgrade program in Windows Update and then tell it to specifically ignore the upgrader so it doesn't find its way back on. Then you can search on your hard-drive(s) to delete the gigabytes of unnecessary files.
    Likes Lewis liked this post

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Trevhib View Post
    I had to go through the mill a bit to get rid of the Win10 auto-downloader package, which brings with it GB's of data whether or not you upgrade, and an irritating pop-up. Managed it though. If you aren't going to upgrade you can delete the Win10 upgrade program in Windows Update and then tell it to specifically ignore the upgrader so it doesn't find its way back on. Then you can search on your hard-drive(s) to delete the gigabytes of unnecessary files.
    Will attempt this tomorrow, be prepared for a PM asking for advice if I can't find the correct files to delete.

Post Thanks / Like

I've carried out windows 10 free upgrade and was working fine for some time until it decided to fail on printer operation, apparently the kodak printers have an issue with windows 10 as there is no correct driver available. Now left with not being able to use my printer. Anyone with ideas to a fix appreciated

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    Will attempt this tomorrow, be prepared for a PM asking for advice if I can't find the correct files to delete.
    These should help. There are lots of links out there with step by step instructions

http://www.myce.com/news/how-to-unin...and-8-1-75681/

http://www.infoworld.com/article/298...-or-81-pc.html
    Likes Lewis liked this post

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Trevhib View Post
    These should help. There are lots of links out there with step by step instructions

http://www.myce.com/news/how-to-unin...and-8-1-75681/

http://www.infoworld.com/article/298...-or-81-pc.html
    Carried out the above instructions last night, no more reminders so far. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like