Post Thanks / Like

hi all!

Just saying hello!

Looking at purchasing my first R5GTT soon! Not many for sale tho - budget around the 4.5k mark - if anyone knows of any for sale let me know

I did had a 5 Campus as my first car, and always wanted a 5gtt, and nows the time!

Is 4.5k a reasonable budget for a clean 5?

There is a super clean one on Pistonheads for 7995, but that is way above my budget,

Also - what sort of cost would it be for a full engine rebuild on one of these - just a rough idea really

Cheers
    Alex

Post Thanks / Like

Re: hi all!

Welcome along

Best of luck finding a GTT. You should be able to get a really good example for £5k

When you say full engine rebuild. Is that doing it yourself or having someone else do it for you?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Trevhib View Post
    Welcome along

Best of luck finding a GTT. You should be able to get a really good example for £5k

When you say full engine rebuild. Is that doing it yourself or having someone else do it for you?
    Cool cheers

Yer would be paying someone to do it if needed. I've been looking at Engine Dynamics website and a fully forged spec is around 3000 which seems pretty reasonable.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome Al. hope you get one soon. Engine dynamics are a good reputable company who would see you ok.

Post Thanks / Like

Fully forged!? Well that would be awesome and £3k seems ok. Do you need that level of engineering though?

Committee, South East Regional Rep James5's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the club, just sent you a pm, may have something of interest to you :-)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Trevhib View Post
    Fully forged!? Well that would be awesome and £3k seems ok. Do you need that level of engineering though?
    I don't know tbh. My old car was an Impreza V3 sti which needed forging when the bottom end went. So I tend to factor in a rebuild when buying a car. Just handy to know what the cost is in the event it did happen.

But if it's not needed then happy days 😆 a standard spec rebuild looks to be around 1400 which is very good tbh.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by James5 View Post
    Welcome to the club, just sent you a pm, may have something of interest to you :-)
    Cheers dude I've replied 😆
    Likes James5 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BigAl View Post
    I don't know tbh. My old car was an Impreza V3 sti which needed forging when the bottom end went. So I tend to factor in a rebuild when buying a car. Just handy to know what the cost is in the event it did happen.

But if it's not needed then happy days 😆 a standard spec rebuild looks to be around 1400 which is very good tbh.

If in good nick when you get it, and if you look after it, a relatively standard engine (with a few turbo, fuelling and cooling mods), can be happy for a long time running anything up to 180-200bhp and the same lb/ft torque. If you do have to rebuild and decide to have a go yourself (as many here have done very successfully), it may only cost £400-£800 depending what you have/want to replace

It will depend on what you want to do with the car and what you want from the engine.

East Midlands Area Rep Mr Raider's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome along.

You should be able to get a good R5GTT for that money. Engine Dynamics in Colchester I believe is run by the Bridge Brothers, the old BB Performance Tuning. With a Haynes manual, this site abit of time and a few tools you can re-build the C1J engine yourself. All the info you need is on here for the GT Turbo.