Committee, NW Regional Rep Alex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Renault CAN Clip

Those ones on eBay, is anyone using them? I'm quite tempted to invest in one especially if I end up buying another Renault. Obviously they're not genuine but if they work and have free updates......

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Renault CAN Clip

Linky

Post Thanks / Like

https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/222058683125

Theres loads on eBay, this is just one of them.

Post Thanks / Like

Best of luck!

These pieces of kit are not necessarily easy to set up! The first problem is that
    you need a fairly powerful laptop to run the software. The second is the actual
    software installation is not straight-forward! Generally speaking, you're involved
    with what is pirated software, so the vendors _think_ they are not involved in
    Copyright theft by giving you the installer in a disc image file.

You first have to load a copy of this disc image and they give you software that
    is meant to do that. The downside is that if you're not careful, it will also install
    a whole load of other software onto your machine that you could not possibly
    live without! I hope you picked up the irony!

The instructions in English are written by someone whose first language is summat
    foreign, so it might not be immediately apparent what an instruction is telling
    you to do. That could lead to quite a number of false starts and a lot of time
    wasted.

Once you have passed all that fudging, you'll need to watch how the drivers
    install at the final hurdle, because if one is missing, you hit the next brick wall.
    If you're pretty familiar with Windows 7 and its innermost vagaries, then you'll
    probably get these to work fairly easily, but if not, then be prepared to hit a
    very frustrating time.

Be aware that at all times, the car's battery has to be as close to full charge as
    it can be when the clip is connected, regardless of whether the ignition is on
    or not, else that could be your next source of frustration. A legit install of this
    kit can cost a darned sight more than what you're paying for on eBay and
    certain cars can throw a wobbly even when the kit comes from a reputable
    source.

My Laguna Coupé regularly throws its cruise control and speed limiter when
    one is connected at my local stealers. It'll also report itself as a Mégane. :/
    Getting to the point of turning it all back on is a good bit more than just two
    minutes work, in fact I got a bill for £65 at a garage 300 miles from home,
    having driven up the A1 with motorway building going on, with neither of
    these driving aids available. Grrrrrrrr...

I know it sounds like I have one. I don't, and having assisted in the process as
    described, I don't want one. I'll end as I started - best of luck!

Regards,
    Steve

Post Thanks / Like

Ha, I had a feeling they might be not entirely straightforward to get working! Do you know, if once they're installed, do they actually do what you want them to do? (bar setting off the odd errors) My wife has a Megane dci and we need a new key which you can code (apparently) with these things. It works out if I buy the Clip and a blank key it will still work out cheaper than taking it to a dealer plus I'll have diagnostics for the car then.

On the other hand if they're constant throuble.....

Post Thanks / Like

Alex, I'll make some enquiries and report back...

Regards,
    Steve
    Likes Alex liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Just on the diagnostics side of things. My dad just bought a "Launch EasyDiag" and a bundle of three manufacturers software - Ford, Volvo and SSangyong (the latter being the real reason for buying this thing). So far it has worked a treat, it seems to do everything. He's fixed his airbag light issue and I now hnow the issues with the Mrs' Focus.

You control the thing via an android phone app.

Cost him about £120 in all.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2016-Origi...0AAOSwAuNW4sqz

Post Thanks / Like

I recently bought one of those Clip clones, software install wasn't too hard. I'm lucky enough receiving a broken one though. Still have to look into it but apparantly it isn't that straight forward as mentioned above...