Post Thanks / Like

Detailing Reference Section - Guide

Introduction

This Detailing Reference Section is the place for anyone to submit review or
    guide articles about any aspect of car detailing. While the bulk of the initial
    posts will be from me, the very last thing I'm looking for is the idea that I'm
    any kind of guru. Believe me, I'm not!

I write most of my reviews from the point of view of a disabled person, being
    that I work with gammy hands and an unsteady gait. Don't let the "Disabled"
    bit put you off; it usually leads to an easier way of achieving a good result.
    What it does mean is that there are a few limitations to my detailing methods;
    like carrying water buckets and working with power tools.

That leaves the door open for many other approaches from others. Just
    because I have written a product review does not prevent you from also
    having your say. This is particularly important if you have used a product in
    a different way to the existing report, e.g. with mechanical assistance.

What We're Looking For

Writing reviews can be a minefield, which has the potential to either make or
    break a reputation. So, putting this into one word: Honesty. In my experience
    there are very few "bad" products out there, but no product necessarily suits
    everyone's approach or aspiration. Your review should contain clear descriptions
    of your method or technique and they should be described in such a way that any
    reader could copy it and expect to achieve a similar result. It'll be from your
    guidance that a reader will be able to make their suitability assessment.

Content

Obviously, plenty of pictures will help illustrate what you find along the way.
    You can make and attach videos, but please use these as an addition.
    Many readers will want to closely study photographs at their leisure.

Please don't expect everyone to be an expert. This section is aimed at both the
    novice and the expert, so try and allow for that in your text. There are a few
    procedures that are what might be called "Expert Level" - like the application
    of some protective coatings. In this case, please offer guidance on how to reach
    that level of expertise.

All of your technique descriptions should demonstrate "good practice". What
    that means is that you work safely and have photographs that demonstrates this
    also. Many products have an MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) and your review
    must follow the guidelines given. For example, there are many products where the
    cleaning residue must not reach public drains, or underground water courses.

Conclusion

Hopefully, over a period of time the Detailing Reference will become a very useful
    resource for everyone interested in this aspect of car ownership. I hope this will
    encourage readers to submit their own reviews and guides.

To submit your reviews, please copy the Review Template found in this post and
    add it as a new post to that thread. A Mod will then transfer it into this section for
    you. Keeping cars tidy is still a growing hobby, so, please don't be shy!

Regards,
    Steve
    Last edited by Lowiepete; 07-04-2016 at 00:35. Reason: Updated to reflect Forum changes