Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Sunroof surround - removal

Hi

Any advice over removing the external (roof side) sunroof surround? The Brittax type.

Are they sealed to roof skin with a similar sealant windscreens are bonded with? Surround is corroded and needs powder coated.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sunroof surround - removal

Quote Originally Posted by 1312_Tom View Post
    Any advice over removing the external (roof side) sunroof surround? The Brittax type.

Are they sealed to roof skin with a similar sealant windscreens are bonded with? Surround is corroded and needs powder coated.
    I have an aftermarket Britax sunroof and I've been strongly advised by my
    resto guys to leave it in place. It too is corroded, but apparently it'll be easier
    to rub it down and give it a coat of Plastidip than remove it. The metal roof is
    so thin you are very unlikely to remove it without causing permanent leaks
    after refitting.

The choice of Plastidip allows it to expand / contract at will without cracking.

With Season's Greetings,
    Steve

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks,

Interesting one might just investigate repair in situ. Caused enough damage removing the windscreen myself!!

Tom

East Midlands Area Rep Mr Raider's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Does the sunroof leak? Mine was removed when the raider was re-sprayed in 2006, however they just bolted the sunroof back to the roof skin so after having the car back a couple of weeks and it rained water was running in!

So, I bought some windscreen type sealant stuff and sealed the sunroof frame to the roof skin, the sunroof opening lid was sealed shut by a windscreen company previously.

The sunroof frame on my car is corroded, really tempted to get it removed and a plate put over the top however would not want to distort the roofskin whilst removing it incase it is sealed/stuck fast to the roof skin. Plastidip sounds like an option.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

The frame is badly corroded in one area, first preference would be to remove it. Then replace or powder coat, its not looking great.

Distorting roof skin is worry, although sounds like your paint shop removed ok?

Post Thanks / Like

One of the guys in the club replaced his roof to get rid of his sunroof. If you go this route, make sure the replacement is from a three-door!

East Midlands Area Rep Mr Raider's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1312_Tom View Post
    The frame is badly corroded in one area, first preference would be to remove it. Then replace or powder coat, its not looking great.

Distorting roof skin is worry, although sounds like your paint shop removed ok?
    Be best to mask up area, rub down and plasti-coat it situ to be safe and avoid roof damage just incase. Yeah, not sure exactly what they did to remove the sunroof frame in the first place tbh.