Post Thanks / Like

How to get the wheels off...yes really!

I have removed the wheel bolts (seized solid to start with) but the rear wheels are both stuck on the spigots...

What's the best way to remove them without damaging the wheel? Ive been hanging on them (nearly pulled it off the axel stands) gave them a bash with a soft mallet, but they won't budge.

I need to get some tyres fitted on the rear soon, so I thought it would be best to free them up before I take it over to have them, as I dread to think what they will do to get them off.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to get the wheels off...yes really!

Soak in penetrating spray over night then have another go?

I'd get a piece of wood, place it across the wheel/tyre and bash alternately either side with a lump hammer.

Post Thanks / Like

Will give that a go Trev.

I've got them soaking in penetrating fluid...aswell as the rear torsion bar splines.

I managed to get new bottom arms, shock, springs, and track rod ends all fitted today, and went to do the rear thinking that would be the easy part. If the wheels are this stuck, removing the torsion bar should be interesting!

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

As above, wd and beat the shizzle out of it at opposite sides while turning the wheel... A decent leather ended hammer is great for this..

Next time, clean the hole up with a wire brush, same with the hub/spigots and use a generous brushing of copper slip..

If none of that works, take all the wheel bolts out and do a few handbrake turns.....100% sure it'll work

Post Thanks / Like

I tried with a nylon mallet, but there was not much weight behind it.

I've owned it about a year now, and don't think I've had the rear wheels off since owning it, so god knows when they were last taken off.

Post Thanks / Like

Put car on axle stands, get someone to hold the wheel and then give it a kick from underneath. Most of the time this works for me

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Markey Mark (BD) View Post
    Put car on axle stands, get someone to hold the wheel and then give it a kick from underneath. Most of the time this works for me

I thought about dropping it back on the floor, putting the wheel bolts back in loose, then rock it side to side, but I wasn't sure if this would bugger the spigot location on the wheel up?

Post Thanks / Like

Long bit of 2 b 2 and use it as a lever behind wheel against trailing arm using short tugs. Make sure car is well supported on a good trolley jack, I almost pulled an L200 over