Post Thanks / Like

Wheel Protection

I thought I'd share how I add long term protection for wheels with you guys with the process and products I use.

I popped round to get some durable protection on a set of new wheels before they go on a car.
    Here's how it went.

The wheels are new and have only been on the car to see what tyres it needs and how low the car needs to sit to look right So there's only a bit of dust, finger prints and tyre soap to deal with.

They're pretty big. 19 x 9 & 9.5

To clean them up I used Imperial and a selection of brushes.

Thoroughly rinsed before being dried off.

Taken inside and given a good wipe down with Prep. Probably the best smelling panel wipe in town

On to the Rim application. Zero photos of the process as I was on my own and it's a product that needs your attention.
    It was great to use. The instruction say to spread it evenly across the wheel and remove after 2 - 5 minutes, while still wet.
    With the fiddly design of these wheels, I found once I'd applied Rim to the faces and spokes it was a good time to start removing. Then flip the wheel, coat the back and leave it for a few minutes and remove.

Here's the first coat.

The instructions say to leave an hour between layers so I went and washed the car and gave it a layer of wax. Nice clean new wheels on a dirty car just wouldn't be right.

I came back after just over an hour and got a fresh micro suede and microfiber cloth and got going with the second layer. The second layer went on and off just as well.

I then dressed the tyres with Gyeon Tire.
    Here's the results

I hope that's some help.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wheel Protection

Ah hindsight is a wonderful thing. I wish I knew what I know now when I bought my Trophy it would be in much better nick. Then again a lot of these products were simply not available to most ten years ago.
    Why don't you do a deep clean 'how to' on some used rims?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hoolio View Post
    Ah hindsight is a wonderful thing. I wish I knew what I know now when I bought my Trophy it would be in much better nick. Then again a lot of these products were simply not available to most ten years ago.
    Why don't you do a deep clean 'how to' on some used rims?
    Haha, I know what you mean. My old Sport KA back in the day was pretty much a show - ready daily car. I think back to it and how much better I could make it could be if I had it now

That's a great idea! I have a few sets of wheels I could do it on. Unless someone wants some wheels super clean and protected?

Post Thanks / Like

I've just bought some 20" for my van and was thinking about protection. Defo taking them off for the winter

Post Thanks / Like

The Gyeon Rim is a great for strong durability. If you want something quick and easy to use there are plenty of good wheel waxes around. I use Auto Finesse Mint Rims.

I'll do a write up on how to properly clean and protect your wheels in the next couple of weeks